Bang & Olufsen (B&O) H6 (Black) Around-Ear Stereo Headphone review

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Great review and write up. I am interested in these H6 phones but am trying to decide between multiple options which isnt making life easy. I would be interested in any opinion your have on the relative merits of the B&O H6 v Beyerdynamic DT 880 or T90. I own the Grado 325e).

The reason i am hunting is that i could do with a closed back headphone for train use once a month (London trip) and for occasional home use when my wife doesnt want to hear the music (grados dont block out much of the sound). Whilst that sounds an easy enough decision i am also finding the Grados slightly lively with some recording (also wonderful with others) and so another option is to just buy another open backed headphone to use alongside the Grados at home (or maybe replace them if i prefer them) - hence the Beyerdrynamic T90 is on the table or even the Audeze LCD-2 (and sell the Grados) - i have heard the T90s briefly but was swayed by the clarity and presentation of the Grados in the one hour demo i had. I am now unsure of this decision.

No easy answer i know - i could probably live without the closed back if i felt getting the Beyer T90 was a better option for home use. But if the B&O H6 is good enough to match the T90 then this would likely be the best result as i would get a closed back and an alternative to the Grados which i would then keep.

Thanks for any input.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
crusaderlord said:
Great review and write up. I am interested in these H6 phones but am trying to decide between multiple options which isnt making life easy. I would be interested in any opinion your have on the relative merits of the B&O H6 v Beyerdynamic DT 880 or T90. I own the Grado 325e).

The reason i am hunting is that i could do with a closed back headphone for train use once a month (London trip) and for occasional home use when my wife doesnt want to hear the music (grados dont block out much of the sound). Whilst that sounds an easy enough decision i am also finding the Grados slightly lively with some recording (also wonderful with others) and so another option is to just buy another open backed headphone to use alongside the Grados at home (or maybe replace them if i prefer them) - hence the Beyerdrynamic T90 is on the table or even the Audeze LCD-2 (and sell the Grados) - i have heard the T90s briefly but was swayed by the clarity and presentation of the Grados in the one hour demo i had. I am now unsure of this decision.

No easy answer i know - i could probably live without the closed back if i felt getting the Beyer T90 was a better option for home use. But if the B&O H6 is good enough to match the T90 then this would likely be the best result as i would get a closed back and an alternative to the Grados which i would then keep.

Thanks for any input.

The H6 is probably best, being closed and having good isolation. It's not as bright** as the 325e, and the bass is much stronger than the 325e. The T90, also open like the Grado, isn't as bright as the Grado per se, but the upper treble is much hotter than the Grado, which was a problem for me. The Beyer DT880 has probably the best repute among the Beyers for all-around good sound, but I haven't heard it. I assume it's also an open headphone. Edd of Noble HiFi is the DT880 expert, who has posted here in the past. You could google Noble HiFi for info.

**Although the H6 isn't as bright overall, it has a peak around 9 khz preceded by a recess, that creates a zippy kind of sound on some tracks. It's easy enough to get used to, and waaaay more portable than those other headphones.

EDIT: Someone loaned me an LCD2 for a week, the newer 'Fazor' edition, and I thought it was competent enough, but rather bland for a headphone in that price range. I wasn't impressed at all by MrSpeakers Alpha Dog either, although there's an Alpha Dog Supreme or whatever for $1000 that's touted to be better. I was favorably impressed with the Mad Dog though. If I were spending big for a headphone, I'd look toward electrostatics (esp. the Stax SR009), or possibly the Sennheiser HD800, which I had for nearly 4 years.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the helpful input. I had a day in London on Friday and got a chance to visit the apple shop and a couple of hifi shops around tottenham court road so was able to try out a few phones :

Beats - i cannot understand why these are so popular, overwhelming and bloated bass overloads the presentation making everything seem slightly muffled and frankly not that enjoyable v others i tried. Must be an age thing !

B&O H6 - lovely wide soundstage, good clear presentation and amazingly comfortable. pretty much as good as i hoped they would be but the one area they lacked is what i can only call the upper bass which was a bit light. i thought the deeper bass was there but then there was a lift before a refocus on the amazing midrange which these excel at. great phones and one of the most comfortable but i did eventually prefer ...

B&W P7 - wasnt expecting to try these but i liked these more, they seem to have a more focused bass and vocals, very clear and enticing and for me the best balance across the whole range. closer to my grados than anything else i tried i guess which may be why i liked them. maybe not as compfy as the B&O but if i was sticking to more portable phones i would have got these.

AKG 701 - nice headphones, probably not quite the best style for my taste but well balanced, clean and a nice listen. would be a home use item only but i didnt feel they were grado beaters which i already own.

Beyerdynamic T90 - wow i loved these, detalied, smooth, lovely finish, great comfort. they have the full range from bass to treble all well ordered and instruments identifyable. these were so good i thought they may beat my grado 325e (or at least offer something different). The T90's are so much more comfortable that my grados.

I have now ordered the T90s (at a good price comparable to the others i tried out). I decided home use was the most important and for the train i can live with my cheaper philips downtown for now. I will start by using the T90s alongside the grados, as i feel they are quite differrent. however if i end up always using one over the other i will likely sell one pair off. It will be exciting to start to try out the two side by side but my hunch is to keep both for different times and experiences - the grados are amazingly punchy with the best rhythm of any phones and wonderful basslines. These would be complimented by a smoother and kinder T90's both on the ears and for longer term listening.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
One day in and the Beyerdynamic T90 is an amazing headphone. Was hard to stop listening to it last night. Whilst the Grados remain a top notch headphone too, they are very different with a super clear and clean presentation and highly charged rhythmical nature but a more closed in and punchy soundstage. The Beyerdynamics are smoother with a much wider soundstage and more instruments identifyable. It is still clear and detailed but less punchy. Bass is excellent on both, there are more layers to the treble on the Beyerdynamics.

At the moment the Beyerdynamics are winning but its early days, they are definately more comfortable, do not leave your ears slightly exhausted after an album like the Grados can. I do prefer the wider and less tiring experience, but there are times i would expect to want to listen to the Grados too.

Either headphones are highly recommended by my ears. Will continue to try them out alongside each other over the coming weeks.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
crusaderlord said:
One day in and the Beyerdynamic T90 is an amazing headphone. Was hard to stop listening to it last night. Whilst the Grados remain a top notch headphone too, they are very different with a super clear and clean presentation and highly charged rhythmical nature but a more closed in and punchy soundstage. The Beyerdynamics are smoother with a much wider soundstage and more instruments identifyable. It is still clear and detailed but less punchy. Bass is excellent on both, there are more layers to the treble on the Beyerdynamics.

At the moment the Beyerdynamics are winning but its early days, they are definately more comfortable, do not leave your ears slightly exhausted after an album like the Grados can. I do prefer the wider and less tiring experience, but there are times i would expect to want to listen to the Grados too.

Either headphones are highly recommended by my ears. Will continue to try them out alongside each other over the coming weeks.

If you can, check out the T90 review and comments on headfonia. Don't be concerned about negative comments there - it all gets sorted out in the end:

http://www.headfonia.com/beyerdynamic-t90-open-tesla-candy-2/

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
A nice read thank you.

I have become much more a fan of headphones again. i used my Sennheiser HD595 for about 10 years while the children grew up with my NAD system. then built a new Arcam system and didnt use headphones at all at home. However following my house move 2 years ago my wife requested i stopped played music so much in evenings as the inside walls in my latest house are not overly soundproof. I went back to headphone use and have slowly been able to buy a good headphone system by selling my vinyl. I am really enjoying how much extra detail you can hear using headphones.

The Beyerdynamic T90s are the best headphones i have ever tried / owned (note i wont permit myself to go above paying £300 price for a single pair of headphones as there are other demands on family finances). They present music listening in a very similar fashion to my main hifi which is really nice - i have not felt that from any headphones before.

TRENDING THREADS