Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) P7 Stereo Headphone review for 2015.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Here is the review of my second P7 - the first one was traded off in 2013, which I regret. Still, this was an opportunity to see if the current production of this headphone changed in any respect, and also to apply my Audioforge experience to find any major variances from neutral in the sound signature. I found three: A moderate recess in the low-mid midrange around 350 hz, another modest recess in the low-mid treble from ~3 to 6 khz, and a peak around 9 khz. None of these anomalies would require me to use EQ to have a satisfactory listening experience, and that's something I can say about very few headphones (Audeze LCD2, MrSpeakers Mad Dog, and possibly the Bose QC25). Highly recommended, even at the $400 USD price I paid.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4226

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Nice and timely, too. I've just been thinking a needed a good portable headphone and have been mulling over the P7 and the B&O H6. I'm leaning toward the P7, but it's at the stage where I need to get down to the store and listen to both. Was originally looking at the ATH-MSR7 (about half the price), so I guess I'll listen to that again too, just to see what the money does/doesn't buy me.

Any comments on performance with a DAC and amp as opposed to driven straight from an iPhone or other less meaty portable device?

tom2b

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dale.

The usual thorough review.

Am very tempted by these headphones, from your review&the playlists you use these 'phones should be good with 70's reggae?

I am looking to upgrade from my AKG550 to something less'neutral' and with more empasis on the base, as 90% of my music is said reggae.

Also, i notice that the P7's are approx £70.00 cheaper'online'; should I risk buying withhout demoeing?

Thank you for your thoughts

D

Deleted member 2457

tom2b said:
Hi Dale.

Am very tempted by these headphones, from your review&the playlists you use these 'phones should be good with 70's reggae?

I am looking to upgrade from my AKG550 to something less'neutral' and with more empasis on the base, as 90% of my music is said reggae.

Also, i notice that the P7's are approx £70.00 cheaper'online'; should I risk buying withhout demoeing?

You can always send them back if you are not happy especially at Amazon where they are cheap.

D

Deleted member 2457

The only thing I would say about the B&W P7 is that the leather ear pads make your ears sweat!

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
ID. said:
Thanks. Nice and timely, too. I've just been thinking a needed a good portable headphone and have been mulling over the P7 and the B&O H6. I'm leaning toward the P7, but it's at the stage where I need to get down to the store and listen to both. Was originally looking at the ATH-MSR7 (about half the price), so I guess I'll listen to that again too, just to see what the money does/doesn't buy me.

Any comments on performance with a DAC and amp as opposed to driven straight from an iPhone or other less meaty portable device?

Better tighter bass with a good amp, for sure. Actually better treble too. Give your H6 listen plenty of time, they are very different from the P7.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
tom2b said:
Hi Dale.

Great for reggae especially - the bass is perfect, warm and nice impact - I have a lot of classics like Marley, Tosh, the real old stuff too like Toots & Maytals, Jimmy Cliff, etc. Now buying online may be risky, but IMO the risk is very low because of the high quality and very even sound.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
gel said:
The only thing I would say about the B&W P7 is that the leather ear pads make your ears sweat!

I don't remember about my P7 from 2013, but this P7 doesn't seem as claustrophobic as the older one, and I have no tendency to sweat with it. I noted in the review here that the earpads aren't as "soft and squishy" as many headphones, so I wonder if that was a "fix" by B&W.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
dalethorn said:
ID. said:

Better tighter bass with a good amp, for sure. Actually better treble too. Give your H6 listen plenty of time, they are very different from the P7.
Had a listen to the P7 in store today. Just powered by my iPod Classic. Pretty much the sound I'm looking for. Unfortunately they didn't have the H6 in the store for me to listen to, but going by the reviews I think the P7 is pretty much everything I want for my portable setup. I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy the H6 too because I like some detailed, relatively "clinical" cans, but the lusher, bassier sound is what I want to take with me.

Also heard the Senn HD650 with the Pioneer U-05, which I really liked. The combination of the clean, detailed U-05 with its great separation and soundstage was a lovely balance with the 650's slightly dark, laid-back style. I didn't think the HD650's worked nearly as well with the Marantz HD-DAC1. Just a little too smooth and laid back, even with styles of music that work best with that presentation.

As I will get a U-05 in future, I can also seen myself picking up some 650's for a good price 2nd hand.

D

Deleted member 2457

buzz_lightclick said:
gel said:

Yes I found them too big, heavy and uncomfortable, so sold them on. They are the best sounding headphones I have owned though.
Yep, same here.

D

Deleted member 2457

dalethorn said:
gel said:

I don't remember about my P7 from 2013, but this P7 doesn't seem as claustrophobic as the older one, and I have no tendency to sweat with it. I noted in the review here that the earpads aren't as "soft and squishy" as many headphones, so I wonder if that was a "fix" by B&W.
It would be good if there was a fix, I would probably buy another pair.

gel said:
dalethorn said:
gel said:
The only thing I would say about the B&W P7 is that the leather ear pads make your ears sweat! ?

I don't remember about my P7 from 2013, but this P7 doesn't seem as claustrophobic as the older one, and I have no tendency to sweat with it.  I noted in the review here that the earpads aren't as "soft and squishy" as many headphones, so I wonder if that was a "fix" by B&W.
Noooooooooo!!!!

D

Deleted member 2457

ID. said:
dalethorn said:
ID. said:

Had a listen to the P7 in store today. Just powered by my iPod Classic. Pretty much the sound I'm looking for. Unfortunately they didn't have the H6 in the store for me to listen to, but going by the reviews I think the P7 is pretty much everything I want for my portable setup. I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy the H6 too because I like some detailed, relatively "clinical" cans, but the lusher, bassier sound is what I want to take with me.

Also heard the Senn HD650 with the Pioneer U-05, which I really liked. The combination of the clean, detailed U-05 with its great separation and soundstage was a lovely balance with the 650's slightly dark, laid-back style. I didn't think the HD650's worked nearly as well with the Marantz HD-DAC1. Just a little too smooth and laid back, even with styles of music that work best with that presentation.

As I will get a U-05 in future, I can also seen myself picking up some 650's for a good price 2nd hand.
You forgot to add Blu-Ray players in your signature. *yes3*

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
dalethorn said:
gel said:

Noooooooooo!!!!
Dont worry BB, I can't see it happening, I listen to them the other day and they were quite bulky too, but I do like their sound though. I am really enjoying my Bose pair though.

Perhaps I can add my experience with the P7's. I too find them a tad sweaty after a long period of listening but only then. I tend to use mine mainly with my Colorfly C4 Pro or Fiio X3 whilst travelling to and at work.

Undoubtably the P7's are one of the best headphones (for the money) that I have ever owned. My only concern was their general lack of portability. Although they fold to a degree they still remain quite bulky and the case they come in is not up to just being thrown in a travel bag. They need someting more substantial like the case that my AKG 451's live in. (Because it is these, more often than not, that I end up taking away with me).

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Al ears. I think I'll mainly be using them at home or where I might be travelling with a suitcase so I can use them where I'm staying, so that sounds OK to me. Just got my FiiO X5 (was going to get the X3, but circumstances led me to the X5). I think they'll be a great match, but I'll check them out in store again, this time with the X5.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Still enjoying the P7 as a portable. When not actually traveling I don't need a case, since I wear the P7 around my neck when not listening. But in travel, I find the case ideal as it has good enough impact resistance for placing in a carry-on bag. The weather hasn't gotten warm yet, and I have no tendency to sweat in cooler weather, but when it does get warm I'll get in the habit of decoupling occasionally to clear any sweat effects. That comes from experience with several 'warm' headphones.

D

Deleted member 2457

dalethorn said:
Still enjoying the P7 as a portable. When not actually traveling I don't need a case, since I wear the P7 around my neck when not listening. But in travel, I find the case ideal as it has good enough impact resistance for placing in a carry-on bag. The weather hasn't gotten warm yet, and I have no tendency to sweat in cooler weather, but when it does get warm I'll get in the habit of decoupling occasionally to clear any sweat effects. That comes from experience with several 'warm' headphones.
I just bought the P7s too! *clapping*

D

Deleted member 2457

David@FrankHarvey said:
I like P7s a lot, which is quite something seeing as I generally don't like closed back headphones.
Just received mine - cheers David, they sound fantastic and the leather is soft on these ones too, no sweating from the ears. I forgot how powerful and detailed these were. Thanks for the great deal too. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

I think these p7s may well have had a fix Dale. These are much more comfortable than my last pair.

TRENDING THREADS