Balanced Power Supply

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I wouldnt recommend the 1.5kVA version for all that. Go for 2 or even 3.

As for the BT conditioner, you really should put it to use on anything that doesnt draw a lot of power (ie, dont connect to your amp)

Trevor who (used to?) posts on here swears by them which is what got me looking into my balanced mains 'transformer'

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
I did purchase a BT mains conditional 5A/500. Yet 2 use it. i was suppose 2 use it for my Music studio setup. I brought wireworld mians it was so good.. not even bothered 2 try the BT mains conditioner yet.. I suppose its down somewere in the basement. Anyone come across one of these,,?

I am considering of buying an Airlink balanced power conditioner CBS1500 having heard the good comments but I am not sure if it can improve the SQ to my system beaing in mind that CBS1500 is VERY expensive, £360 incl. VAT !!! :O

Just a request to Native_bon since you are not using your BT 5A/500 I wonder if you could spare the unit to me for a try (as I am unable to find one) before I go ahead with the CBS1500 :? . I will provide my e-mail if that is possible.

A

Anonymous

Generaly electronic hifi components of good quality have power supplies designed to reject and filter out unwanted mains noise. But if you have a particularly noisy power supply and live right next to an engineering works that has large motors and inductive drives switching on and off then the best device to by would be an online UPS say from Rielo. This provides a very clean regulated 240V supply. This is the only way to garantee a cleans main supply irrispective how bad the imcoming mains supply into your house was. Mains filters are limited and can do so much.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I have asked Leema about the use of power conditioner and its recommended rating. I got the following reply:

The power consumption cannot simply be calculated from the power output, because analogue amplifiers are not 100% efficient - more like 40%. The rest is given off as heat.

Allowing for this and the other internal power requirements, you will need a conditioner of around 3 to 4 Amps. However, the conditioner must be able to support the start inrush which will be around 6 Amps, otherwise the processor will most likely crash and the unit will not start.

For your information, Leema do not recommend any mains conditioning - due to the above explanation, we feel they always reduce the dymanics of the amplifier.

UNQUOTE

From engineering point of view I can fully agree with Leema's comment. The conclusion is that unless the power rating of the conditioner is very large it will certainly affect dynamics of the amplifier output. The product from Airlink with 1500VA rating is a viable option but it is too expensive unless there is great improvement to the SQ after installation.

A

Anonymous

Raym87, which two socket model did you order ? any further thoughts on the quality of the product ?

Cheers.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Inter_Voice said:
I have asked Leema about the use of power conditioner and its recommended rating. I got the following reply:

The power consumption cannot simply be calculated from the power output, because analogue amplifiers are not 100% efficient - more like 40%. The rest is given off as heat.

Allowing for this and the other internal power requirements, you will need a conditioner of around 3 to 4 Amps. However, the conditioner must be able to support the start inrush which will be around 6 Amps, otherwise the processor will most likely crash and the unit will not start.

For your information, Leema do not recommend any mains conditioning - due to the above explanation, we feel they always reduce the dymanics of the amplifier.

UNQUOTE

#Hum, the above explanation may be product dependent. Cause i got an Isol-8 Mains conditioner & my system sounds so much more dynamic.

From engineering point of view I can fully agree with Leema's comment. The conclusion is that unless the power rating of the conditioner is very large it will certainly affect dynamics of the amplifier output. The product from Airlink with 1500VA rating is a viable option but it is too expensive unless there is great improvement to the SQ after installation.

#Hum, the above explanation may be product dependent. Cause i got an Isol-8 Mains conditioner & my system sounds so much more dynamic.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
proffski said:
Instead I suppose you could always get something working on Ju-Ju Flop and Voodoo from Russ Andrews? :)
Yawn...

You may yawn Andrew but there is any amount of nonsensical mumbo-jumbo written on this forum; no small part of it written by people who make money out of getting people to believe it!

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts