Balanced Power Supply

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What do you think of these???

http://www.airlinktransformers.com/transformer/bp1500-bp1500-balanced-power-supply.asp

Unable to find a BT one with a decent headroom / output so I thought I would give one of these a whirl

Just ordered one so I will report back later.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Id say the rest of your setup would have to be spot on before the balanced supply would make a difference. But im certainly intrigued as to what you find with it.

A

Anonymous

I like it, I would be surprised if it didn't work very effectively.

Balanced mains transformer, soft start, overload protection, the only thing it lacks is mains capacitors to deal with surge and transient current demands.
But having said that with it being a 1500va rating the Mains will be far more stable on its output as well as clean.

Look forward to your review on it.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Cyril, that's your cue.

Cyril? Cyril???

Take five, everyone. Someone go and check Cyril's trailer and see where he is...

emotion-1.gif
I can't work out what it's supposed to do.

A

Anonymous

trevor79:Nevermind ;-)

So what does it do and how does it do it?

A

Anonymous

Cyril Mason:
trevor79:Nevermind ;-)

So what does it do and how does it do it?

Seeing your so clever, you tell me.

You have no difficulty in coming up with your disparaging points of view so you should know what you are basing your opinion on.

A

Anonymous

Maybe a short description is in order, heres a section from the manufacturers website.....................................................

Where does electrical interference come from?

Energy-saving electronic ballasts with solid state power supplies, harmonic
distortion, isolation transformers, grounding systems, non-linear
loading and all kinds of power supplies. In most cases, filters added
to the power line add noise of their own.

When electrical interference is present in any sensitive electronics, equipment performance will be limited by the noise.

The problem is critical in many areas of high-tech electronic engineering, including the sound recording and video industries.

High frequency noise can cause digital data errors in digital audio and computer equipment.

A balanced power unit is effectively a 1:1 mains power isolation
transformer with a center tap to ground, giving you two legs of AC
which are 180' out of phase with respect to one another (with respect
to ground), so that your ground currents cancel out.

With balanced power you can use any type of grounding configuration you want.

To install a balanced power system all you have to do is plug it into an
AC supply, throw away all ground lifting plugs and filters, plug all
your gear into the balanced power supply unit, and turn it on.

A

Anonymous

What is it reasonable to expect from one of these? I didn't go for the APC version in the end, I'm still open minded about the subject though..... this forum has led me to experiment with a few things, but I'm not sure the sound can be improved on what comes out of the box.

On my Cyrus amp and CD, I got rid of the Tacima block and find that the sound just has a lot more "oomph" than before. The stock power leads connect to a B&Q block, and I re-wired a surge plug on the end. Go figure.

A

Anonymous

PSU arrived this morning and after a breif listen, heres what I think of it. For 144.00 (ex VAT and Carriage of course) its the best upgrade I have ever bought. Bear in mind my modest system before you read further.

Sounds like someone has removed a blanket from over the speakers. Detail and soundstaging has improved big time. Drive and impact is way up there. Bass seems deeper but not at all loose. Instrument datails are clearer and more defined. Female vocals ( always a good test I think) are much clearer. I'm not the best at describing sound but thats how it sounds to me.

Against...it isn't exactly a work of art.

Have a look, decide if it's worth a punt. I'm glad that I did.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ray. Interesting and I may well buy one myself
emotion-4.gif

Can you please just clarify for me as ive only ever heard of 'balanced' mains before off Russ Andrews.

Is it 115V Positive and 115V negative that makes it balanced or am I missing the point of what it actually does?

A

Anonymous

If you read and can make sense of the blurb from RA then this is exactly the same. He can explain better than me. Just checkout the difference in price
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

If you read and can make sense of the blurb from RA then this is exactly the same. He can explain better than me. Just checkout the difference in price
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Mmm....why has my last post gone in 3 times.....dunno!.

Anyway.....maybe Trevor would like to contribute later. The way I see it though its nothing more than a huge coil of wire wrapped around a former. I am not getting into differences between different wires but I am sure RA will say he uses a special type of wire. My question is....does it warrant the difference in price.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
no no

Clearly hes using his wires (Or kimber wires) on his units. What I was asking was is it definitely a balanced unit (115+ and 115-)

Delving further into the site it IS a true balanced unit. Shame their bigger units dont come with plug sockets on though

A

Anonymous

raym87:
Mmm....why has my last post gone in 3 times.....dunno!.

Anyway.....maybe Trevor would like to contribute later. The way I see it though its nothing more than a huge coil of wire wrapped around a former. I am not getting into differences between different wires but I am sure RA will say he uses a special type of wire. My question is....does it warrant the difference in price.

Hi, thanks for your feed back, your unit has done what I expected and it was a great find.

Having looked at the specs I have recommended it to others. Mains supply is not rocket science but you would think it is by the flack I have taken on these boards from time to time!

What I have observed on my units is that kettle leads did not detract from the sound improvements at all. In fact my Onkyo 875 is plugged in off a kettle lead and I have used my Classic Powerkord for the TV with impressive results instead.

You have found a viable solution to sourcing the BT Units for folk and you should take a bow.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
being totally clueless when it comes to electricity and the like, will one of these limit the current available to my amp? if i was only going to plug a cdp and amp into one is there any point in getting one of the higher specced units? will a ps audio mains regenerator be any better?

A

Anonymous

The 1500va unit should handle all the current demands of your system OK, but for what little extra the 2000va costs I would buy that.

Not having auditioned either of these products I can't say how they compare, but the price difference is huge!

Years ago I did have a Russ Andrews 3000va feeding 2 Marantz MA6 monoblocks wired with Kimber cable/Roger LS6/Meridian 206/Thornes 160s,Hadcock Arm, MCoil. Modified to hell and back and it was so pure.
At the end I didn't like it, the sound was too revealing and harsh on all but the most perfect recordings.
I took it a step too far. Had the potential, but it had the sound of using pure silver throughout the signal path.

Sorry, I am rambling, but I have had most of a bottle of claret!

For what they cost, worth a punt?

A

Anonymous

Would buying one of these do away with the "need" to buy PSX-R's to go with my Cyrus amp & CD?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
thanks trevor, you're right the price difference is huge and i think i'll probably have a punt on one. i'll let you all know what i think when i get one, just got to wait for my new speeks first.
emotion-11.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts