B&W simpy question

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
hi guys...

Back in my b&w's says 'Made in China'.....i was wondering if it is original or not.

And another question because i want to change speakers....which is the main difference between floor stand and bookshelf speaker?!

thanx

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Cycleman said:
Back in my b&w's says 'Made in China'.....i was wondering if it is original or not.

These days most B&W speakers are made in the company's own factory in China, apart from the 800 D3 series and the odd pair of Nautilus, which are made in the factory in Worthing.

Cycleman said:
And another question because i want to change speakers....which is the main difference between floor stand and bookshelf speaker?!

Floorstanding speakers (aka tower speakers in some markets) are designed to stand on the floor, and usually have spikes for use on carpets. Bookshelf speakers are usually smaller, and could be placed on bookshelves, but are most often used on speaker stands.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Regarding the presentation:

Standmounts: Generally sound faster and more precise, while imaging better. At the cheaper end of the market, they often sound better, as for a given sum of money, there is less that has to go on the extra cabinet, the crossover is often simpler and the internal damping is easier to resolve.

Floorstanders: Have greater scale and impact due to the extra cabinet size and (often) extra woofers. Generally, the price where good Floorstanders start is around 1500GBP (imo).

Which one you go for can be down to preference or room size.

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Regarding the presentation:

Standmounts: Generally sound faster and more precise, while imaging better. At the cheaper end of the market, they often sound better, as for a given sum of money, there is less that has to go on the extra cabinet, the crossover is often simpler and the internal damping is easier to resolve.

Floorstanders: Have greater scale and impact due to the extra cabinet size and (often) extra woofers. Generally, the price where good Floorstanders start is around 1500GBP (imo).

Which one you go for can be down to preference or room size.

i want a floorstanding speaker with good image....my bydget 1500-1700gbp...any ideas?!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Cycleman said:
i want a floorstanding speaker with good image....my bydget 1500-1700gbp...any ideas?!

- Imaging/Soundtage is is in no small part down to speaker and sitting position.

- What amp and source will you be using?

- What is the size of your room?

My preference would be the Kef R500s....but it needs a decent amp to control it ie. something like the Arcam A39/Rega Elicit R/Creek Evo 100A/Hegel H80.

You need to demo a few, to see where your preference lies.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I had kef r700s now they are very good but since using small and cheaper atc scm 11 the sound is much better.
So i would advise on small standmounts over larger floorstanders.

Imo floor standers only get good after about 3500 ish (brand new) thats only my opinion though. Sometimes less is more.

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
i agree with you at all. On other hand stand speakers don't have low frequencies. I had b&w 685 s2. I love the resolution and imaging of b&ws....but i don't have lows.Somebody told me just take a sub .... but.... for me is not good for music. So i decide to buy floorstanding speaker.

For the atc scm 11 i don't have opinion but my little experience says that a 2 way speaker with almost 6'' ich speaker can't get much bass.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts