B&W MM-1 or Zeppelin Air?

Fulmer

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Right so perhaps this belongs in computer-based music instead of Hi-Fi, but considering I am evaluating this based on sound quality I'm opting for "Hi-Fi". :)

So I have ripped my entire CD collection (roughly 400 CDs ranging from Punk to Rock to Indie to Jazz to Classical) in AIFF format on to a Western Digital MyStudio 2Tb drive connected via Firewire 800 to my iMac. I have an Airport Express connected to the stereo in the living room and copy everything on to my iPhone - and various iPods - in AIFF format.

I was thinking about buying B&W's MM-1s for the computer, but having read the recent review of the Zeppelin Air, I am wondering if that would be a better purchase? From a convenience perspective, plugging the Zeppelin in to the computer via USB is no more/less convenient, but the ability to pop an iPod in the dock (I keep all my audio files on the iPod in AIFF as well) when the computer isn't on would be handy; however I don't want to suffer a compromise in the sound quality.

So my question is, head-to-head, (and let's be honest this is directed at the WHF staffers!) is the Zeppelin a match for the MM-1 in terms of sound quality from my Mac?

manicm

I have the MM-1s, and they're superb for what they are - on the PC desktop. It has ample bass and the dispensed sub really did for me from a convenience point of view (no more worrying about my feet kicking it to tomorrow).

Although the Zep can be used with PC it is altogether a different proposition. For starters it's sound can fill a room unlike the MM-1s. Second it's a full-fledged iPod dock, with superior sonics as such to the smaller pair. Third it has a digital input for DVD players etc. But the Zep can't be considered desktop like the MM-1s, unless your desk is really large, and your PC isn't blocking it.

It all depends on what you want to achieve really.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts