B&W CM8 Vs MA RX6 (Mission 782) home demo results

Sliced Bread

Hi, I’ve had a demo of the CM8 and RX6’s courtesy of the very helpful guys at Sevenoaks Witham. I’ve read a few posts from people on this and other forums in the past curious about the CM8 and RX6, so I thought I would post up my experiences of demo.

While I was demoing the speakers I also couldn’t help but make some comparisons to the 782’s that I am replacing due to a toddler incident. I was also using an Onkyo 905 with audessy off, which is notably warmer than the more recent Onkyo 708 I’ve heard.

Before I started the demo I must confess to having some biases. I wanted the RX6 to be the more enjoyable speaker because; a) it’s smaller and b) it’s cheaper! First of all the RX6’s. After reading so much positive press I think I went into this one with very high expectations and while I thought they were good speakers I was surprised to find that (to my ears and with my amp) the 10 year old £700 Mission 782’s outperformed the RX6’s in most areas.

The missions were more open in the midrange and had a more realistic treble. I should note however that the RX6’s had too much bass for my room (14ft by 13ft) which caused boom, however even with low bass acoustic music the missions were more open. The RX6’s seemed quiet boxed in by comparison. In terms of handling complex music (rock and classical) the mission 782’s (a true 3 way design) definitely had the advantage. The drum in the Raconteurs “steady as she goes” was nice and clear at the start of the track, however after the first 20 seconds or so when the other instruments kick in the bass on the RX6 seemed to reduce significantly while it struggled to handle all the instruments at once. This was still the case with the 782’s (as it would be with many speakers), but far less noticeable. I’m guessing that this is because the RX6’s are 2.5 way and 782’s are 3 way.

I have in a separate demo quite a long time ago experienced the same thing with the otherwise fabulous PMC GB1’s and Marylin Manson tracks. This sounds like I hated the RX6’s...I didn’t they were enjoyable and detailed, but I did feel a little disappointed.

Next up...the CM8’s. There was something nice about listening to a pair of speakers, that up until that point I had not read any official reviews. I had no expectations at all (except that they are significantly more costly than the rx6’s). I started with the Raconteurs “steady as she goes” and was blown away. The compression seemed to be reduced to the point of being negligible and the whole sound was immersive and musical.

Long story cut short: after listening to movies / classical tracks, rock, metal, acoustic and a bit of nine inch nails I couldn’t find a single (significant) weakness. The soundstage was excellent, with good depth and placement (to the point where I may not use a centre speaker for AV purposes). The bass was perfectly balanced and I could hear instruments and backing vocals that I didn’t even know existed on some tracks that I am very familiar with. There was lots of detail, but it still managed to sound smooth and easy to listen to for long periods. Dynamics (high and low level) were also commendable and they were very cinematic.

All in all I am smitten with the CM8’s and will place an order very shortly (along with CM1’s for the rear). I preferred them to the GB1’s (which admittedly was demoed a long long time ago with a different amp) as the CM8’s seem to be a better all rounder and cheaper. The GB1’s were beautiful IMO but when given something like Manson they failed to engage me.

I have heard some people refer to the CM8’s as a little bright and bass light. However with my amp and in my room, the bass went (very) low yet without dominating the midrange and the treble was sparkly without any aggressiveness. It was definitely the most musical setup I have had in my home as well the most cinematic.

Two conclusions came out of this for me. 1) I was surprised at how good the mission 782’s stood the test of time 2) For me the CM8’s are a perfect for my tastes / amp. The only question now is the colour and whether or not to introduce a centre speaker...the FST drivers in the CM8’s offer such a good midrange / box less sound that I’m thinking an additional centre speaker may even muddy the sound. I think I will live without one and add one if I think it is necessary at a later date. (above is just my amateur opinion, but I hope it is of some use)

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Slicebread,

Nice review. Have you also tried the new Epos epic 5. I read thats excellent to at its price point. I wonder how it compares with the B&W.

I have older B&W DM from the 80's and still love them, compared them to the newer 600 series my older ones were much more open and musical especially in the mids. A friend of mine has the larger cm9 - nice sounding speakers.

Cheers

Steve

Sliced Bread

Thanks Steve.

I'm afraid I've not heard the Epos so I'm afraid I'm not able to compare them.
It's interesting that you've found the older speakers very competitive too! You'd expect it to be the other way around.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the review Sliced Bread...it was lonely out here being one of the few that have posted our personal reviews of the CM8s (mine was vs RX8s).

I have had mine (Rosenut plus CM Centre and CM1s as surrounds - pic in My System) for six months now, and I am loving them. They have really (expensively) made me upgrade all the rest of my gear to get the most out of them. They are now connected to mono'ed Cyrus X Powers, but each upgrade has broader a bigger and bigger smile on my face.

Concerning the centre speaker, I have one, but I watched the blu-ray of Nikita (original Luc Besson version) which had just a stereo soundtrack, and I had to check that there was no sound coming from the centre speaker - the stereo image was so good.

CM1s for surround are a good choice too - especially on music SACD/DVD-A

Hope you enjoy the ones you choose.

Sliced Bread

Thanks DC. It's good to know that you're still enjoying them :). They are the best speakers (within budget) that I have heard in a long time. I took them home for the demo, plugged them in at 5pm, then listened to music non-stop until 2am without fatigue! Lovely sound! Out of curiosity, is the centre speaker good enough to keep up with the CM8's?

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the review sliced bread!
smiley-wink.gif
That’s helped me more then most advice I have asked for, as I am saving my self for some new speakers and should have the funds in around a couple of months. I have a onkyo 875 which is nearly the same amp as the 905 and I have a pair of mission 783 so I know what you getting at, now you really got me interested more in the CM8’s but I put them at the bottom of the list because of the price and meant saving a lot longer.

Think I may try to get them on a home demo and a pair of XTZ 99.36 and see which I like the best.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the CM8 package at home and you will be hard pressed to find anything that beats it in this price range. The KEF Q900 is a contender and should be considered too.

But of course I may be a little biased ;)

Sliced Bread

Thanks DC...good to know.

Hi 007L2Thrill, I'm glad to help, but these are just my observations (and what do I know ;) ). But for what it's worth, to my ears the Onkyo and CM8 match is excellent and definitely worth a home demo if you can get one.

Hi Duaplex, I think I agree with you...admittedly there's still alot I havn't heard, but I think they do a fantastic job :).

A

Anonymous

It's hard to believe that only a couple of months back I was saying to myself, how well my B&W 603s were lasting the test of time, and how I had most certainly got my money's worth out of them, then low and behold by chance I heard the B&W CM8 ;-) The first speaker in a long long time that I had to have, great overall musicality. A great way to rediscover your CD collection ;-)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
+1 to that I was so accustomed to hearing music out my PC speakers and iPod. I truly forgot the joy of music, now i find myself listening to music more! I intially thought music was secondary to movies but its the other way around at the moment.

A

Anonymous

I auditioned the RX6 and the CM7, i found that they were very close, but i didnt feel the CM7 were worth the extra coin. They were deffinatly not the best speaker i heard at that price. Australian Made Orpheus Aurora 3 were remarkable However the RX6 were exceptional value for money. Just goes to show every listener has different tastes. :)

By the way, what ever happend to the CM7?

Sliced Bread

Hi Duaplex,

I already had the Onkyo and will be keeping it. I think the the 905 (hopefully also goes for 875) works well with the CM's :)

Delivery is in about 35 hours...time seems to slow down after you place an order :)

Hi Brickologist,

The CM7 have disapeared as they were replaced with the CM8. I havn't heard the CM7, however from what I've heard the CM8 was supposed to be an improvement on the CM7's...especially in the bass department :)

A

Anonymous

Haha, i know the feeling!

But count your blessings, i had to wait 1-1½ months when i ordered mine, and i had already sold my olkd ones, so was stuck with some 4.1 Logitech PC speakers for that duration!! argh

Sliced Bread

Maestroelite said:
Haha, i know the feeling!

But count your blessings, i had to wait 1-1½ months when i ordered mine, and i had already sold my olkd ones, so was stuck with some 4.1 Logitech PC speakers for that duration!! argh
I feel for you Maestroelite!

That truly sounds like the stuff of nightmares! ;)

(5 hours 45 minutes)

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
This won't help, Sliced Bread, in your 5 hours plus left, but opening the boxes was like looking under the bonnet of a Ferrari - especially the mid-range yellow cone. The finish is excellent, and you probably won't have the covers on much (just like Ferraris with glass bonnet covers :)

Sliced Bread

DandyCobalt said:
This won't help, Sliced Bread, in your 5 hours plus left, but opening the boxes was like looking under the bonnet of a Ferrari - especially the mid-range yellow cone. The finish is excellent, and you probably won't have the covers on much (just like Ferraris with glass bonnet covers :)
Grrwrgwgw!! Thanks Dandy :) (5 hours 9 mins)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Shall i take a picture of me hugging mine, would this help loll ;) You are going to be so thrilled when you finally hook them up!

Watch Spiderman 3 and the first battle with the Goblin. God the sound is incredible coming out of the fronts when they are bi-amped!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts