B&W CM8 Vs MA RX6 (Mission 782) home demo results

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sliced Bread

Damn yous!!

I don’t have the Spiderman trilogy yet, but It’s on offer in a few places so I think I’ll pick it up.

(4 hours 55 mins – now feeling like 12 hours, thanks to Duaplex and Dandy...thanks a lot!)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
LOLL, you are clearly not going to rest until you have it configured and ready. I was up until 4am wiring and configuring mine....My poor neighbors!

Spiderman 3 is TrueHD by the way ;)

Sliced Bread

I certainly am!

Due to a work emergency I only had about an hour with them last night, where they were played quietly as my wife was in bed.

But...initial impressions are very positive, and they are not even run in yet :) Plus they look gorgeous :)

I have a wedding tomorrow, so the next time I will get to listen to them will be Sunday (very busy week). But I will definitely post back afterwards.

Sliced Bread

So, I’ve had the CM8 package for a few weeks now and given it a chance to run in and I would just like to say that I’m very pleased with them for both movies and music. Very clean and lovely to listen to for long periods (both moderate/high and low volumes) and I would certainly recommend them to anyone who’s looking to demo speakers in their price bracket. It took me a long time to get the setup just right, so I thought I would share a few bullet points from setting these speakers up that may or may not be of any use: The CM8 package sounded good out of the box, though the CMC and CM1’s seem to run in at a different pace to the CM8. This was not a problem but worth noting that it takes a good week of continuous use for the sound to really take off. I used an SPL meter and found the CMC and CM1’s require a bit more juice than the cm8 to get a balanced sound field. In my room +3db on the CMC and +4db on the CM1’s was nice and even. Without this adjustment the centre sounds a bit lost, but with the adjustment it sounds full and rich. Regarding the crossover settings; I went back and forth on this a bit. Vocals and sound in general were better with the CMC set lower, but the crossover was smoother when running the THX crossover test at higher (70 - 80hz). In the end I called B&W (very helpful btw) who recommend that as a general rule, the CM package works best with all channels crossed over to 60hz. This was good advice. Vocals are have good body and sound more natural than when set higher while integration was first rate. However, as my rear speakers are wall mounted, with one right in a corner I found that reducing the rears to 70hz produced the best results as it eliminated boom caused by the room corner. I think that when ideally placed 60hz all round would be a good option, but for me 60 on the front and 70 on the rear works best. One thing I have noticed is that my monitor audio RSW-12 sub cannot quite keep up with the CM8’s speed in the bass and it took a lot of fine tuning to integrate it successfully with the package. Not least because the RSW’s bass sounds a tad coloured in comparison to the CM8’s tight clean bass. But after a lot of adjustment and re-positioning is now sounding very good, but I think ideally this package is best with a faster sub. But I’m still happy with the RSW-12. So many late nights later and the performance is excellent across movies and music. They are well worth the effort, however I keep having too many late nights digging out old CD’s and films J Thanks to all who recommended them!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
What an excellent piece of news I am enjoying mine too at the moment and could not be happier. Glad you made a choice that pleased you. The sub is always a tricky one to get right and to place for that matter!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You know, you convinced me to get a sounge meter too and use it, even though i have the lx83 i feel it maybe beneficial to try. I just worry becasue my dipoles are mounted in the top corners of the room flush agaisnt ceiling and back wall. Of course I have them pointed down slightly and while they sound good i feel i may be missing something.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I shall check as soon as i get home, i dont recall off the top of my head.... I know what a disgrace!

I know its not that high, i could probably do with wacking up the rears slightly.

Will report right back :) How about yourself, what are your settings?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
See thats interesting. Mine always turns down the rear's

I have 3db in the middle and my rears are 1.5db. My PV1 is -9 and my CM8's are at 0db I had to actually wack up the PV1 by 3 and the rears by 1db to get those levels. Perhaps because the solid walls and no carpet is a factor in the calibration it goes though. With movies i have to go to about -24db on the receiver to get a decent volume.

I am thinking now i need the Meter to judge it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts