B&W 685 vs £350 2nd hand?

A

Anonymous

Get a new pair of B&W 685's and end your search.
emotion-35.gif

T

the record spot

LOL, however £385 will get you some barnstorming used speakers - keep saying it but if £80 gets me a fine pair of Mission 752s, £300 a pair of Linn Keilidhs with Ku-stone bases, I'm pretty damn sure you can land some decent boxes to wipe the smile of B&Ws face for a whisker off £400!

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
The speakers that ive seen around 400 pound second hand that are better than the 685s (imo) are

MA GS10 (The bookshelvers of the gold series)
Neat motives 3
Proac tabelet speakers
Bowers cm5 (the last model)

Hope that helps. Cant remember where is saw these but they should be around if you look.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
SHAXOS:The speakers that ive seen around 400 pound second hand that are better than the 685s (imo) are MA GS10 (The bookshelvers of the gold series) Neat motives 3 Proac tabelet speakers Bowers cm5 (the last model)Hope that helps. Cant remember where is saw these but they should be around if you look.

ÿ

Add AVI Neutron IV (or V I suspect) and Epos m12.2 to the list

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks, had a look on ebay. All I could find were a new paid or AVI Neutron 5 (N5) for £300.

Im not sure if i'll even get the 685s, originally just interested in the BR2s so the 685s are double the money. Hopefully demoing tomorrow

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
jazzy639:
Thanks, had a look on ebay. All I could find were a new paid or AVI Neutron 5 (N5) for £300.

Im not sure if i'll even get the 685s, originally just interested in the BR2s so the 685s are double the money. Hopefully demoing tomorrowÿ

ÿ

The Neutron 5 will wipe the floor with the BR2 or 685.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:jazzy639:

Im not sure if i'll even get the 685s, originally just interested in the BR2s so the 685s are double the money. Hopefully demoing tomorrowÿ

ÿ

The Neutron 5 will wipe the floor with the BR2 or 685.

ÿ

Definitely, but the AVIs will produce less bass than the 685s. Depends what you want but I'd have the AVIs in a heartbeat. As suggested earlier, you might find some Monitor Audio GS10s but more likely some GR10s for that price. Again, superb speakers. Make sure you pick up used speakers in person and get a demo.

A

Anonymous

The reasons for me thinking of an upgrade is because I feel the bass is a bit lacking on my DM601 S3s. So the BR2s were suggested but with all the hype around the 685s, I'll see if theyre worth double!

As its more bass i'm looking for, the AVIs might not be suitable.

I really need to sit down and think if I need to spend £300!

A

Anonymous

Sounds to me like you should buy a sub to go with what you have. The 601s aren't short of bass so a floorstander or sub is the way to go. Take a look at BK's offerings:

Clicky

A

Anonymous

Yeh I really am unsure... Some songs sound fantastic, others I think I really should be hearing more bass, more impact from the bass drum and hear the bass guitar.

The demo tomorrow should hopefully clear things up

A

Anonymous

I've used 601S3's for over a year and the bass was just excellent. Although they did have a slight midbass hump, to give the impression that they have more bass than they actually do, I found them to pretty good speakers.

They're nothing short of bass, and since seeing you're using good stands (I used mine on Nexus 5, which I though where slightly better in bass response, but only just!) I think you need something totally different to satisfy your needs.

MA BR2's I also considered when I wanted to upgrade, but to my ears the 601's totally blew these away. The BR2's sound veiled and muddy in comparison, and the bass was spotty and not at all acurate. You could consider RS1's which I thought were I big step up from the BR2's.

I've also listened to the 685's several times, good speakers they may be, I couldn't justify the extra outlay over the 601's. They're not th t much better, but maybe you do like them.

jazzy639:

Yeh I really am unsure... Some songs sound fantastic, others I think I really should be hearing more bass, more impact from the bass drum and hear the bass guitar.

The demo tomorrow should hopefully clear things up

It sounds like the upgrade bug really has grabbed you - naturally, some recordings are cleaner than others and therefore produce more bass, while others tend to lack, but you have to go with instinct, what your ears tell you and gut feeling.

Your B&W's are good at reproducing low-end stuff, but I agree with the others, floorstanders are the answer or possibly a sub.

A

Anonymous

AE Neo 3s seem to be good floorstanders, available for 220 I think (given your budget). A good sub alone will put you back well over 100.

If you have time, shop around for 2nd hand MA RS6s. I had seen them on ebay for 380 a few weeks ago. They are top notch floorstanders that will give you plenty of bass.

A

Anonymous

I paid 220.00, they are available on ebay in Beech for 201.00

A

Anonymous

As much as i'd love floorstanders, the room is way too small. Im barely 2m away from the speakers!

Think it might just be the upgarde bug, I'm not sure
emotion-7.gif

It's weird because listening to my demo songs now, I'm thinking they sound great. What I think is the speakers are good when turned up, amybe I'm looking for something a little more lively when not so loud.

A

Anonymous

Does your system sound bass-light with CDP too? Or just ipod? I'd leave the speakers alone, and instead I'd use a dedicated DAC via computer rather than ipod via line-outs.

A

Anonymous

I've just done an A/B between the CDP and iPod. I syned the two trackes so upon switching between the CD and AUX inputs on the amp, they were the same volume and position in the track.

Honestly I couldn't hear a difference
emotion-7.gif

edit: maybe the bass guitar notes are clearer on the CD however I could just be imagining it. Really if there is a difference, its so so small its not worth the inconvienence of using the CD.

A

Anonymous

jazzy639:

I've just done an A/B between the CDP and iPod. I syned the two trackes so upon switching between the CD and AUX inputs on the amp, they were the same volume and position in the track.

Honestly I couldn't hear a difference
emotion-7.gif

edit: maybe the bass guitar notes are clearer on the CD however I could just be imagining it. Really if there is a difference, its so so small its not worth the inconvienence of using the CD.

Hmm.. that's strange... with ipod you lose quality a) in compression (if mp3) 2) in D/A conversion 3)in cable connection (3.5mm jack). For me the difference is not just night and day, its like two different systems altogether...

Vimeous

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
It's a shame your room's so small - I was thinking 603 S3's for the money :)

Heard Dali Lektor 1's and 2's at the S&V show and thought they were great. Maybe Lektor 3's would give enough bass without being too huge?

Other than that 602 S3's but they're a touch large if you're only 2m away!

A

Anonymous

Well im back from sevenoaks! The guy that dealt with me was very helpful and honest. Never tried to push me to upgrade. Infact more the opposite saying the DM601 S3s are good speakers and the new 685's arn't much different.

I first tried the MA BR2s. Straight away I didnt like them. The bass was very boomy and sounded like there was a midbass hump. My own speakers went lower and sounded better. The treble was smooth on the BR2s but really I didnt feel there was much detail.

Next I tried the B&W 685s. These were much better than the BR2s. Bass was tight, treble detailed and sounded very good. They didnt produce the kind of bass I was after though. It's difficult to compare the 685s to my DM601 S3s as it involved a 30 min trip back plus its a different room. Sitting there, I didnt notice lots more detail or better/more bass. Certainly not worth the £200 upgrade cost.

The dealer suggested I try Quad 12L2s. I was very surprised with these. Much better than I thought they would be. The bass very nice, tight yet it was there. Very clerar sound without sounding bright. I didnt go back to the 685s so couldnt compare them properly however I thought they sounded similar.

So back at home listening to the DM601 S3s now, I feel happy knowing that I can't better the speakers for a reasonable sum of money. The room could have made a difference, having a hard floor, mine has carpet and in my room one of the speakers is in the corner (it is a bedroom after all).

Any views on the above?

A

Anonymous

Hi Jazzy, sorry you didn't like the BR2's, how big is your room? it seems like floorstanders are the way to go since you desire more bass. That's in my opinion anyway

A

Anonymous

Definately no room for floorstanders! The 685s are as big as i'd go. Thanks for the suggestion though about the BR2s, they do get good reviews online, just sounded really boomy to me.

The only think I can think of is rear ported as this will bounce off the wall so maybe, just maybe the Quads. The 12L2 sounded great anyway, and they were about 1m away from the back wall and 0.5m from the side walls.

It's not that I want more bass, the bass drum should have more of an impact I think.

Still, I may stick with what I've got.

A

Anonymous

Jazzy I think as you have now clarified in your own mind that it's not the speakers, perhaps you should take a listen to some amps in sevenoaks also. Perhaps you will find that striking elusive bass drum with one of their amps

A

Anonymous

Hi, I used to use an iPod as a source, then I bought a DacMagic, and the difference was MASSIVE. I recommend you look at upgrading your source. See below for my system, it's similar to yours, and in a small room. Attack from the DacMagic, and bass are excellent compared to any iPod. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3515/3296959515_fb133411e7_b.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts