B&W 685 vs £350 2nd hand?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Hate to say I told you so! I also felt the 685's were a minor upgrade, certainly not worth the extra outlay, and that the BR2's sounded godawful!

I also quite liked the Quad's, but in the end, those weren't just for me. And that's when I heard my Focal speakers, and it felt like coming home. :)

A

Anonymous

Jan Hibma:Hate to say I told you so! I also felt the 685's were a minor upgrade, certainly not worth the extra outlay, and that the BR2's sounded godawful!I also quite liked the Quad's, but in the end, those weren't just for me. And that's when I heard my Focal speakers, and it felt like coming home. :)

I'm happy that we both think the same, at least its not just me! How come your display picture are the 685s?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Pmaninit:Hi, I used to use an iPod as a source, then I bought a DacMagic, and the difference was MASSIVE. I recommend you look at upgrading your source. See below for my system, it's similar to yours, and in a small room. Attack from the DacMagic, and bass are excellent compared to any iPod.

I've seen your system before and thought it was very similar. I'll try and get a pic of mine up ;) A student aswell so limited listening space. My speakers are wider apart yet I'm closer to them than what it looks like for you.

Have you done a direct A/B between the iPod and the DacMagic? Is there really that much difference?

Earlier today I compared the iPod to my (so-so) Sony CD player. Managed to get the tracks at the exact same position so changing the source on the amp didnt interrupt the music at all. There was little or no difference between them.

A

Anonymous

jazzy639:
Jan Hibma:Hate to say I told you so! I also felt the 685's were a minor upgrade, certainly not worth the extra outlay, and that the BR2's sounded godawful!I also quite liked the Quad's, but in the end, those weren't just for me. And that's when I heard my Focal speakers, and it felt like coming home. :)

I'm happy that we both think the same, at least its not just me! How come your display picture are the 685s?
emotion-5.gif

601's S3 actually, my previous pair. Sold them a month or two ago but haven't changed the picture yet.

A

Anonymous

Ended up going to Richer Sounds today. Bought a DACMagic
emotion-2.gif

Got 14 days to test it out so will let it burn in for a while then compare it to the iPod and see if it really does sound better (to my ears anyway).

A

Anonymous

jazzy639:
Pmaninit:Hi, I used to use an iPod as a source, then I bought a DacMagic, and the difference was MASSIVE. I recommend you look at upgrading your source. See below for my system, it's similar to yours, and in a small room. Attack from the DacMagic, and bass are excellent compared to any iPod.

I've seen your system before and thought it was very similar. I'll try and get a pic of mine up ;) A student aswell so limited listening space. My speakers are wider apart yet I'm closer to them than what it looks like for you.

Have you done a direct A/B between the iPod and the DacMagic? Is there really that much difference?

Earlier today I compared the iPod to my (so-so) Sony CD player. Managed to get the tracks at the exact same position so changing the source on the amp didnt interrupt the music at all. There was little or no difference between them.

Hi, yes I played the same songs and switched back and forth on the amp, the DacMagic wipes the floor with the iPod, so much so that I will not listen to the iPod any more through the system, and am selling it, as well as the dock, as I have an iPhone when I'm out and about now...

I hope you enjoy the DAC, forget the hype and just listen the you music and I'm sure you'll prefer it to the iPod.

A

Anonymous

Also you should be using at least 320kbps to get the most from the DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts