B&W 685 S2 vs ATC SCM11 (non curved) ?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ErwinC said:
It looks better but it is not 100% what i expected though as it is still visually very distracting imo.

As I said before, you could cover the grille with your choice of material, which totally cover the grille you see in the pics, if that's your objection.

matthewpiano

Or just buy some speakers that look acceptable.

Sorry but they look hideous to me. I generally keep the grilles in place all the time on speakers, but I couldn't live with those ATC ones, either with or without the extra cotton. If they can be covered with acoustically transparent cloth, why did ATC bother making the grilles like that in the first place?

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

Sorry but they look hideous to me. I generally keep the grilles in place all the time on speakers, but I couldn't live with those ATC ones, either with or without the extra cotton. If they can be covered with acoustically transparent cloth, why did ATC bother making the grilles like that in the first place?

That is exactly what i was thinking too. :cheers:

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

They look more than acceptable (without grilles) to me :)

Hi ErwinC

I posted some of the following before -

The new curved SCM11 monitors incorporate the long and eagerly awaited ATC HF drive unit (SH25-76). ATC's goal was to have their own HF units offer levels of performance that were on par with their state of the art Original and Super Soft Dome mid range drive units. With their new SH25-76 HF unit I truly feel that ATC have achieved this goal. The lack of colouration, clarity, precision, power and the sheer naturalness of the sound reproduced by SH25-76 HF drive unit is remarkable. Wow
icon_e_biggrin.gif
It took ATC nearly eight years to design and develop their HF drive unit but boy was it worth the wait
smiley-smile.gif

Curved SCM11 monitors also reproduce low frequencies which are more defined, a clearer more open mid range, greater integration between the drive units, etc.
smiley-smile.gif

I hate to say it however feel the new curved SCM11's (with the incorporation of the SH25-76 and other improvements ATC have made) offer better overall performance then SCM19 MK1 monitors. Curved SCM11's simply hit their predecessors out of the park for a six and with SCM19 MK1 monitors not far behind.

As WHF put it - the new SCM11s are a drastic improvement over an already talented performance, and they have the good looks to match. ATC has raised the bar it set itself. This isn’t just a step up – it’s a running leap.

Btw, i was at ATC's 40th birthday party last Friday and i saw ATC's stunning new SE S50 monitors, Super SH25-76 HF unit (it's massive :twisted: ) and once again i got to see the way ATC hand build their drive units (including the new HF drive units in their dedicated new HF drive unit production room - to control temperature). If you get the opportunity have a look at the massively engineered/build CLD mid/bass and SH25-76 HF unit (curved) used in the SCM11 monitors in the flesh. I think you'll be impressed
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Have you tried L'Exception Musicale?

No, that distributor is located in France and i have only bad experiences with distributors located in France. They are most of the time not interested in Belgium. :cry:

I don't think he is going to ship me a pair of SCM11 to be able to audition them. There are also no shops in Belgium that sell ATC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts