B&W 685 S2 vs ATC SCM11 (non curved) ?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
lpv said:
SIACD & SCM 11's are in my view best all in one system in the market regardless of price... not exactly cheap, but same brand, no issues with amp/ speakers matching and superb sound. I would go this way Erwin.

What is the price of the SIACD ?

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
lpv said:
Ok, got it.. if you prepare to buy NAP200 and if you like all your components to be of the same brand I would sell UnitiLite and get ATC SIACD.. 100wpc, AB design, amp, pre amp, cdp, dac, 6 years warranty and perfect match for 11's..

But no streamer. :cry:

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
ErwinC said:
lpv said:
Ok, got it.. if you prepare to buy NAP200 and if you like all your components to be of the same brand I would sell UnitiLite and get ATC SIACD.. 100wpc, AB design, amp, pre amp, cdp, dac, 6 years warranty and perfect match for 11's..

But no streamer. :cry:

Do you need internet radio or USB input? or both?

ErwinC said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Btw, out of interest what finish are the SCM11 monitors in please?

Cherry, but i prefer black in my setup/room.

Hi ErwinC

Thanks for your reply.

Btw, ATC are working on grill liners (actual availability, etc. to be confirmed) for the curved Entry Series of monitors
smiley-smile.gif
I should be receiving samples for curved SCM7 monitors shortly. I'll let you know how i get on.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
ErwinC said:
MUSICRAFT said:

Hi ErwinC

Thanks for your reply.

Btw, ATC are working on grill liners (actual availability, etc. to be confirmed) for the curved Entry Series of monitors
smiley-smile.gif
I should be receiving samples for curved SCM7 monitors shortly. I'll let you know how i get on.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

That's nice.. the original ones are not to every one taste.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
smiley-smile.gif

That is good news. I really don't like the grilles of the curved line.

In the meantime i can test my ATC SCM11 speakers a bit more. ;)

ErwinC said:
MUSICRAFT said:
smiley-smile.gif

That is good news. I really don't like the grilles of the curved line.

In the meantime i can test my ATC SCM11 speakers a bit more. ;)

So have you given up on PMCs?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
ErwinC said:
lpv said:
Do you need internet radio or USB input? or both?

Network streaming from NAS and USB input.

I would get a mini computer (most conprehensive streaming solution in my opinion) controlled by appropriate tablet/ iPad... then SIACD > SCM11.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
So have you given up on PMCs?

No, but it is difficult to find PMC in Belgium but i am trying. ;)

In the meantime i bought the ATC SCM11 because the price was too good. I will use them the next weeks and switch between the ATC and my B&W 685 S2 every week or so. Like that i can listen for a longer period and decide which are the best for my setup.

So my plan is: listen 1 week to the ATC and then switch to the B&W for 1 week and ..... until i know which speakers i like most. The other pair i will sell.

If in the meantime i can test a pair of PMC Twenty.21 or 22 (no DB1i because of the bass reflex at the back) and i like them more than the ATC and B&W, i will sell both the ATC and B&W speakers. ;)

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Just installed the ATC so listening can start :grin:

To come back to my original question: did someone else compare the B&W 685 S2 with the ATC SCM11?

lpv said:
MUSICRAFT said:
ErwinC said:
MUSICRAFT said:

Hi ErwinC

Thanks for your reply.

smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

That's nice.. the original ones are not to every one taste.

Hi lpv

Let's wait and see.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi ErwinC

Nice one.

Btw, try and have a listen to The Way (instrumental) by Zack Hemsey through the ATC monitors :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,

After may hours of listening i have to say i am VERY impressed. The ATC speakers are now placed on Auralex propad monitor isolation pads and the sound has clearly improved.

The ATC's sound very natural and relaxed with a lot of detail and a bass with power and definition. With the ATC SCM11 i hear things i never heard before and it is like i am able to hear deeper into the music. I still think that an amplifier with a better damping factor / more power will combine better with these ATC speakers, but the result i have now is more than satisfying. :dance:

It took a bit of getting used to them, but now i have to say these are the best monitors i owned. In fact they are so good i will probably be selling them to buy a pair of curved ATC SCM11 once the ugly grille problem has been solved. ;)

Or if i find a pair of black ATC SCM11 non curved, that will also do.

ErwinC said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi ErwinC

Nice one.

Btw, try and have a listen to The Way (instrumental) by Zack Hemsey through the ATC monitors :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,

After may hours of listening i have to say i am VERY impressed. The ATC speakers are now placed on Auralex propad monitor isolation pads and the sound has clearly improved.

The ATC's sound very natural and relaxed with a lot of detail and a bass with power and definition. With the ATC SCM11 i hear things i never heard before and it is like i am able to hear deeper into the music. I still think that an amplifier with a better damping factor / more power will combine better with these ATC speakers, but the result i have now is more than satisfying. :dance:

It took a bit of getting used to them, but now i have to say these are the best monitors i owned. In fact they are so good i will probably be selling them to buy a pair of curved ATC SCM11 once the ugly grille problem has been solved. ;)

Or if i find a pair of black ATC SCM11 non curved, that will also do.

Hi ErwinC

Nice one.

Sometimes it can take some time to get used to/understand what ATC monitors are doing. Yes, an amplifier such as a NAP 200 will help release more of the SCM11's performance potential.

I've received the sample grill liners for curved SCM7 montiors. I'll try these out and get back to you.

Btw, have you listened to The Way?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
A lot of Hi-Fi Astrology in matching "ideal partners" and not enought practical knowledge displayed in this thread. I must intervene.
grin.gif

Naim cannot push difficult speakers and the ATC SCM11 are 85db (at best, probably 81-82db effectively measured), compression enclosure and probably have dips bellow 4 ohms in transient peaks.

They accent all the weaknesses of Naim's 70's kit amp Class B topology: low idling current, massive distortion, only 0.0032W in Class A, low damping factor (flabby uncontroled bass) and low power and current to drive difficult loads.

ATC as a manufacturer clearly states Recommended Power Amplifier: 75 to 300 Watts. To run those ATC's you want real power. Electrocompaniet, Hegel, Primare, Roksan, Krell, Harman/Kardon.

Since you are stuck with the Naim, best to look for speakers that are easy to drive. What matches well with Nait 5si will work well with your Unitilite since it is the same amp.

Now let the lynching begin.
smiley-scared003.gif

Vladimir said:
A lot of Hi-Fi Astrology in matching "ideal partners" and not enought practical knowledge displayed in this thread. I must intervene.
grin.gif

Naim cannot push difficult speakers and the ATC SCM11 are 85db (at best, probably 81-82db effectively measured), compression enclosure and probably have dips bellow 4 ohms in transient peaks.

They accent all the weaknesses of Naim's 70's kit amp Class B topology: low idling current, massive distortion, only 0.0032W in Class A, low damping factor (flabby uncontroled bass) and low power and current to drive difficult loads.

ATC as a manufacturer clearly states Recommended Power Amplifier: 75 to 300 Watts. To run those ATC's you want real power. Electrocompaniet, Hegel, Primare, Roksan, Krell, Harman/Kardon.

Since you are stuck with the Naim, best to look for speakers that are easy to drive. What matches well with Nait 5si will work well with your Unitilite since it is the same amp.

Now let the lynching begin.
smiley-scared003.gif

Not at all, I quite agree.

Not sure about the 11's but the SCM7's recently measured at 82.1dB and also 'large phase angles reduce the minimum EPDR to 2.4ohms'.

I don't imagine the SCM11's being much different..

You could add ATC to your list of amps as well. :)

OP needs something woith a lot more uuumpf, or as you say more efficient speakers.

Personally I would have to recommend the EB Acoustics EB2's, which I recently owned, they are simply a brilliant sealed-box design and a lot easier to drive - although somewhat larger than the SCM11's :)

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
I've received the sample grill liners for curved SCM7 montiors. I'll try these out and get back to you.

Btw, have you listened to The Way?

/quote]

I am really interested in the grill lines.

I don't have The Way on CD. :cry:

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts