B&W 685 S2 vs ATC SCM11 (non curved) ?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Lets not guess, John Atkinson did some measurements. http://www.stereophile.com/content/atc-scm-11-loudspeaker-measurements

The impedance is not that bad, so the Naim won't overheat but this doesn't mean it can effectively drive them.

+1 for ATC amps. :cheer:

Exactly! I've looked at that many times and rechecked it before posting my reply - only you were guessing before saying it dips below 4ohms! As I say, pretty stable load (more so than some more recent, popular alternatives), although of course they will thrive on improved amplification.

MUSICRAFT said:
ErwinC said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Btw, out of interest what finish are the SCM11 monitors in please?

Cherry, but i prefer black in my setup/room.

Hi ErwinC

Thanks for your reply.

Btw, ATC are working on grill liners (actual availability, etc. to be confirmed) for the curved Entry Series of monitors
smiley-smile.gif
I should be receiving samples for curved SCM7 monitors shortly. I'll let you know how i get on.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hope they improve the aesthetics - those grilles look like one of my grandad's string vests.

Joking aside they've tried to be clever and make them look retro, which doesn't really chime with modern designs. The grilles look scarily like my old Wharfedale E20.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Vladimir said:
Lets not guess, John Atkinson did some measurements. http://www.stereophile.com/content/atc-scm-11-loudspeaker-measurements

The impedance is not that bad, so the Naim won't overheat but this doesn't mean it can effectively drive them.

Exactly! I've looked at that many times and rechecked it before posting my reply - only you were guessing before saying it dips below 4ohms! As I say, pretty stable load (more so than some more recent, popular alternatives), although of course they will thrive on improved amplification.

Well spoted and I stand corrected. I think we cracked the case of Naim+ATC, now ideas about speakers for Unitilite that will put the B&Ws to shame.

Vladimir said:
BenLaw said:
Vladimir said:

Well spoted and I stand corrected. I think we cracked the case of Naim+ATC, now ideas about speakers for Unitilite that will put the B&Ws to shame.

I've alraedy quote my choice. :)

Vladimir said:
Cracked the case as in explained why they are not a good match.

Hi Vladimir

Thanks for your reply.

As some of what i said earlier we've got clients who are happily using Naim amplification such as NAP90, UntitQute MK1, Uniti MK1, Nait 3, etc. with ATC monitors such as SCM11 MK1, SCM19 MK1 and SCM40 MK1's. Yes, they aware that even higher quality of reproduction can be had from their ATC monitors by using better quality of amplification such as that from Naim.

Anyway, perhaps in the first instance you should follow your own advice and have your CM1's driven by amplification which as you put it has 'real power' rather in comparision using paper watts.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Btw, ATC are working on grill liners (actual availability, etc. to be confirmed) for the curved Entry Series of monitors
smiley-smile.gif
I should be receiving samples for curved SCM7 monitors shortly. I'll let you know how i get on.

Hi Rick,

Any news on the grill liners?

BTW, i just saw that the curved SCM11 is wider (381x232x236mm) than the non curved SCM19 (440x223x315mm). Is this correct? According to the specifications the curved SCM11 width and depth are about the same.

ErwinC said:
MUSICRAFT said:
smiley-smile.gif

Hi Rick,

Any news on the grill liners?

BTW, i just saw that the curved SCM11 is wider (381x232x236mm) than the non curved SCM19 (440x223x315mm). Is this correct? According to the specifications the curved SCM11 width and depth are about the same.

Hi ErwinC

I'll try and post some pictures of the grill liners later on
smiley-smile.gif

The widest part (middle) of curved SCM11 monitors is indeed 232mm.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi ErwinC and AlmaataKZ

Apologies for the delay in posting pictures. Having some problems :mad: Don't ask

In the meantime the grill liner material is dark grey, 100 percent cotton, woven and finished in a family owned mill in the Northwest. It is a double stiffened product and has been acoustically tested for suitability.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi ErwinC

I am having difficulty with the Image URL. Mods please help with the following links showing curved SCM7's with grill liners.

http://atcforums.co.uk/Our%20uploads/P5140092.jpg

http://atcforums.co.uk/Our%20uploads/P5140093.jpg

http://atcforums.co.uk/Our%20uploads/P5140094.jpg

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the pictures. :clap:

It looks better but it is not 100% what i expected though as it is still visually very distracting imo.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Think they look pretty good..... but there again, I think they're ok without grills or with just the 'mesh'. I'm obviously easily pleased......... visually that is ;)

TRENDING THREADS