B&W 685 or Monitor Audio BX2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I know your going to say I should audition them but what is better in your opinion I have a Cambridge Audio 540a amp in a small living room. Will use on stands. I have TDL speakers at present bi-wired. thanks

swoosta:I know your going to say I should audition them but what is better in your opinion
I have a Cambridge Audio 540a amp in a small living room. Will use on stands. I have TDL speakers at present bi-wired.
thanks

Hi swoosta

Have a listen to the BX2's. They are superb and can punch above their weight. Also consider Monitor Audio's RX1's or if your budget allows Dynaudio's superb DM 2/6's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Would you say that BX2 are punchier than B&W 685 for techno, house music?

T

the record spot

It depends on the CD player (or other source) you intend to partner with them, not solely the amp, although it does have a major part to play in the chain. It's not quite as straightforward as which one is the punchier as most people won't have heard the equipment together, so it's going to be quite general.

A

Anonymous

Having listened to the BX2's, RX1's and the 685's I actually came away with a pair of Focal 706v's (demo them at Audio T). I loved the 685's, but found that the Focals were more transparent and cleaner. They are about the same price +/- £10 and I think that the Focals are better finished IMHO.The BX2's were a bit thin, and the RX1's a bit top and bottom, not much middle.

However, nothing beats going to have a listen. It can be a revalation!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Try the Monitor Audio Audio RX1's and the KEF Q100's too.

You'll get a bit more punch out of your speakers the more efficient they are. As mentioned, it'll be down to your amp as well.

A

Anonymous

I have the Monitor Audio RX2 - £499 (push for discount always!) running off Monitor Audio Cable and a Cyrus 6XPd. It sounds absolutely awesome. These is a retro speaker design that's coming back into fashion - larger stand mounts like MA RX2, EB Acoustics. They provide a stronger integration and better mid and bottom-end. I went for the MA RX2 because they were a good price, performed brilliantly with my amplifier and my main type of music (Electronica, Indie), they have 8" bass drivers, lovely build quality and they look fantastic! Make sure you audition them and take along a few CDs - MAssive Attacks 100th Window can usually sound muddy on sub par system but on mine it opens up like a 3D picture. Have fun!

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I have the exact same question, hesitating between these 2 models.

If someone has experience with both models, feedback would be gladly appreciated!

matthewpiano

I've heard the 685s on several occasions including a one week home demo and I've also owned the 686s. MA wise I've owned the B2, BR2 and now the BX2 (see my signature).

The BX2s are blowing me away. I first heard them about 8 months ago and, in the dealer's demo room I wasn't totally convinced by them on the end of Marantz 6003 components. However 8 months on I've got that very set-up at home (newly acquired) and even though I'm only just breaking the speakers in, they are constantly impressing me with the way they draw me right into the music. They take the considerable qualities of the BR2 but improve considerably on the drawbacks. In particular, where the BR2 could sometimes sound a bit muffled in the mid-range, the BX2s have impressive clarity without ever sounding clinical. As Rick says, they punch considerably above their weight.

The 685s are a very talented speaker and I've never heard NAD amplification sound better than when coupled with them. However, I feel the BX2s give them a real run for their money and, given the lower price and less imposing design, I'd personally take the MAs over the B&Ws. The smaller 686s aren't a patch on either and suffer from overblown bass and poor clarity in the mid-range.

Ultimately you need to audition but do bear in mind my experience - the room makes a huge difference and listening at home is really the only way IMO.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I originally had MA BX2s which were great and now have MA RX1s which are even better, surprisingly good bass response for the size of cabinet, also very detailed midrange and big soundstage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts