B&W 685 and CA 640 V2.. good match?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have listen to the CA 640 V2 and B&W 685 sperately and I have loved them. Do you belive they will fit together, ot maybe any other advice for an amp that goes with the B&W..

Finally, I have heard that the CA 640 v3 will be out soon... Do you think it is worth waiting??.bit of a stupid question as anyone have listen to it..but still..

Thanks Anyway

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Is this the 640C? I've heard recently that the V3 will have a digital out so you would be able to connect something like a PC soundcard to it's DAC. Sounds good to me if it's the same price as the V2!

John Duncan

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Is this the 640C? I've heard recently that the V3 will have a digital out so you would be able to connect something like a PC soundcard to it's DAC. Sounds good to me if it's the same price as the V2![/quote]

Amp, I think he was saying. One place you might have heard about the v3 having a digital in was when I said "hey I hope it has a digital in" - is only speculation on my part, unless you heard elsewhere..............

A

Anonymous

Yes I was talking about the amp..Sorry if confusing.. I have read sonme comment on the 685..seems that there is a big debate around it..So is CA best for it?

John Duncan

I can't actually get too excited about either, since in isolation I find the amp a bit too 'exciting' in the treble and the speaker a bit dull! This might suggest a good match, but I haven't heard them together. I personally like the Rotel RA-04 at that price point, and whilst I'm not hugely keen on the Marantz PM6002 either, it's a bit of a bargain at the moment at RS at £200. The PM7001 is another matter - more expensive certainly, but not much more than the 640a, and a league above both to my ears.........

A

Anonymous

Thanks.. It is true that looking over the forum I have seen much talk about the PM7001 and the Rotel in discussion related to B&W...I have to heard them, especially the Marantz...It is strange though that there are soo many great proffesional critics over the CA and on the contrary there are not that much enthousiasm with amongst the users..Thanks for the advice anyway

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Personally I think the CA amp will be too retrained and polite for the 685s. The Rotel could add the sparkle the speakers lack.

A

Anonymous

OK.. I have understood correctly, I should forget the CA
emotion-5.gif

For the PM7001 (which looks good on paper-review etc), which speaker do you think are best..the B&W or others?? Thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="verhoeven"]
OK.. I have understood correctly, I should forget the CA
emotion-5.gif

For the PM7001 (which looks good on paper-review etc), which speaker do you think are best..the B&W or others?? Thanks

[/quote]

Nice amplifier. I believe not long ago a chap here bought the KI version for £400 or thereabouts from an E-retailer. A very good price. If anybody remembers the seller perhaps they could post the relevant info and if I was you I'd part my cash there or with a rega brio unless you can afford a myriad or cyrus 8.

Lovely open and grain free sound. Not as impressive as some over ten minutes but natural and fun to listen to over a longer period if you know what I mean. I'd partner it with a focused, punchy speaker such as epos or rega.

John Duncan

Agreed 100% with DM on the amp, it's not immediately "wow" but give it some time and it's much more grown-up than its little brother - furthermore, you could spend a lot of money on a speaker and it not be outclassed - Epos (m5?) was going to be my bet at the same price as the 685, but you could spend much more (insert "little boxes in exotic veneers" fanboy blather here).

A

Anonymous

I did not know about epos..Should have a look at it..(I am from belgium, we dont have all the brand that you have). But true it is sqme price as 685 (the M5 at leat)

About the amps, something that I somettimes dislike about marantz is that they are too ``round`` and warm. I like when there are a clearer differentiation of the instruments. Not sure you see what I mean. Sorry.Is the 7001 like that?

A

Anonymous

And what about the Epo M12.2?

Have you ever listen to it?

Thanks

John Duncan

I wouldn't call it warm (which to me means coloured) - I found it very natural, with an even response, treble and midrange very smooth. I have a particular thing for imaging (placing instruments - and especially voices - three-dimensionally), and had absolutely no complaints - if that means the same to you, then all well and good.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]
I wouldn't call it warm (which to me means coloured) - I found it very natural, with an even response, treble and midrange very smooth. I have a particular thing for imaging (placing instruments - and especially voices - three-dimensionally), and had absolutely no complaints - if that means the same to you, then all well and good.
[/quote]

I know what he means and have to say to an extend he's right (we've had this exact discussion before Mr Duncan and slightly disagree).

I find the Marantz 7001 and the KI is indeed slightly 'rounded' as you've put it. It is very open and projects images large. It also has a lovely, clear but sweet treble that normally is more akin to amplifiers costing much more. Bass is ok and as good as most at the price. It has great insight and manages to do so in a cohesive way without ripping everything apart ie sounding to hifi but there are more focused amps around.

Something has to give somewhere though otherwise there would be no point in making more expensive products. It has less drive, impact and detail than say a cyrus8vs though there's a significant price difference.

If you like a more structured sound with great soundstage and focus at cost to the slightly 'valvey' (its not really but I cant find another word) mids and treble of the marantz try the brio or a mid-priced denon PMA 1500. A very good amp though rarely mentioned. It sounds 'dryer' than the marantz but not cold.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply. I have been looking for Epos Speaker in Belgium and they are sold only in 5 Shops in the entire country. Amazing!!!! Moreover, the same shop do not have all the series..They either have the M5i (different from M5??) or the M12.2 (often with the Marantz, or the Denon or any of them)..They are in diff shop, any advices for the best of the two?

The M5i would be more in my budget but is it really worth the price getting the M12?

Moreover, great discussion about the amps ( Pm7000 looks great and the denon as well)

Thanks guy.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="verhoeven"]They either have the M5i (different from M5??)[/quote]

M5 model has been recently discontinued and replaced by the M5i. In the UK, this means that the outgoing M5 model can be had for a very attractive price at the moment. Might be worth seeing if any dealers in Belgium have some of the old stock that they will sell at a discount. In the UK they can be had for £250 (£100 off) whilst I believe the list price for the new M5i is £425.

I haven't heard the new model, but I would be surprised if it sounds £175 better.

A

Anonymous

Thank for the reply.. I have looked at the M5 but did not realise that they are really small.. I mean smaller than the BW 486.. Is that not too small?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="verhoeven"]Is that not too small?[/quote]

Depends what kind of room size you're listening in and what kind of sound you like. The M5s are small(ish) boxes, but put out a surprisingly big sound. The area in which they're most likely to be divide opinion is in the bass department. They do tight, lean bass very well indeed, but for big, warm, room filling low frequencies, you'll be better off looking elsewhere. I really like them, including the bass, but they won't be to everybody's taste. Can't comment on Epos's floorstanders, as I didn't dare audition them (out of my current budget - don't audition what you can't afford!).

A

Anonymous

Hey,

In anothert discusssion a guy told me abou the creek evolution amp with the EPOS SPEAKERS. I have realised that they are both made in the same company. ANy idea on the question??

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts