AVI ADM9T vs Dynaudio Xeo 3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am about to do what I always swore I would never do - go digital...I have ripped all of my cds and uploaded them to Itunes Match and I am in the process of selling all my vinyl, the proceeds of which I plan to buy a pair of active speakers - either the Xeo 3s or ADM9Ts. The problem is nobody near to me (Brighton) sells either of these speakers, I have spoken to Severnoaks HiFi and Audio T and neither of them seemed to think it was worth stocking this kind of active speaker as there was no demand for them. Seems strange to me, but what do I know? But it means I will probably have to order lind without listening to the speakers, even if I went to London and had a listen, I don't tink there is anyone who stocks both brands to compare. So I am wondering if anyone has listened to both sets of speakers or has knowledge of how the two compare. I have an Apple Airport Extreme router and was hoping to use my Iphone as the source. Any advice would be much appreiated. My current seperates set up is a NAD 314 amp, Arcam Alpha 7 cd player, Technics 1200 turntable and TDL RTL 2 speakers.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I think that the Dynaudio Xeo 3 look really nice. Assuming I liked the sound of them (and I'm pretty sure I would as I'm a fan of Dynaudio's other small actives) I'd love to have a pair as a second system in the dining room or bedroom.

As for the ADM9 vs Xeo 3 thing they're quite different speakers. The Xeo 3's are compact, stylish wireless speakers. The ADM9's are larger and much more powerful.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, wasnt aware of Bartletts. They are closed today, but will speak to them tomorrow and report back. Although the Xeo 3 is a little bit smaller I didnt think I was comparing chalk and cheese here. As I am used to floorstanders maybe I should go for the AVIs if they have a bit more oomph?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
If you do decide on the ADM9Ts, make sure they are the latest model that were released last month. The latest are reputed to be noticably better than the previous 9T.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
daveh75 said:
I wouldn't let Steve's comments put you off. Go compare them at Barletts and see (hear) for yourself, they also stock Adam ARTists which are worth a listen.

Dave's right and I certainly wouldn't want to put you off either speaker. Have a listen to them both and choose which ever is the best for you.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
relocated said:
If you do decide on the ADM9Ts, make sure they are the latest model that were released last month. The latest are reputed to be noticably better than the previous 9T.

And how do you improve on what was considered to be near to perfection? Makes me wonder if the ADM40s won't actually be the best speakers money can buy.

:roll:

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I've heard the adms, the xeo3 and adam artist 3. To my taste i wold rate them for sound: adm, adam, xeo. Adms are a bit more powerful than artist, both sound good. The xeo sounds good but has slightly boomier bass.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
As for the ADM9 vs Xeo 3 thing they're quite different speakers. The Xeo 3's are compact, stylish wireless speakers. The ADM9's are larger and much more powerful.

Exactly! The main purpose of the XEO, if I get it right, is wireless and a passive speaker route will not work out them (so easily). I confused Xeo 5 to a normal wired active speaker and took a demo only to see that it is NOT so.

Wireless HiFi with very little compromise, then XEO is very good. But with Wires there are many choices in both Active as well as Passive mode which compete / beat the XEO proposition.

SQ wise, I prefer the ADM9T to Xeo though it was not a back to back audition. (If it is my money, I will not buy either and check out more choices in passive speakers route :) )

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Overdose said:
And how do you improve on what was considered to be near to perfection?

Technology has a habbit of evolving and improving over time.

That statement makes the earlier models sound flawed if you ask me. If AVI didn't use so much hyperbole, then the earlier quote by 'relocated' would carry more weight.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:
That statement makes the earlier models sound flawed if you ask me. If AVI didn't use so much hyperbole, then the earlier quote by 'relocated' would carry more weight.

I guess that's just the evolution of technology for you. It's not a case of the old ADM9's being flawed, it's just that the new version is better and the next version that'll probably come out in a few years time will be even better still.

It's the same with many things technology related.

The iPhone 4 is better than the iPhone 3 which is better than the iPhone 2...

The new Intel Core i7 processors are better than the old Core 2 Quad processors which were better than the Core 2 Duo processors which were better than the old Pentium 4 and so on....

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Overdose said:

I guess that's just the evolution of technology for you. It's not a case of the old ADM9's being flawed, it's just that the new version is better and the next version that'll probably come out in a few years time will be even better still.

It's the same with many things technology related.

The iPhone 4 is better than the iPhone 3 which is better than the iPhone 2...

The new Intel Core i7 processors are better than the old Core 2 Quad processors which were better than the Core 2 Duo processors which were better than the old Pentium 4 and so on....

You can't compare progress of processors to speaker technology or dac chips.

matthewpiano

I think it is quite reasonable to expect any decent company to make the best product they can at the time and at the price, but for the parameters of what can be achieved to change. I'm quite sure if you strip away some of the hyperbole about the AVIs that it really is as simple as that - progress and development, rather than any reflection on the previous model of the ADM9.1T.

A

Anonymous

I spoke to Bartletts today, they are hoping to get to listen to the Xeo 3s in the next 3/4 weeks and will then decide whether to stock them. They are expecting to get the adm9ts in in 3/4 weeks also. What is very tempting is an ex display black pair of adm9.1s (not the most recen version) for £950. Not sure if the latest version is worth the £200 extra..?

Paul.

steve_1979 said:

Chips have a tangible route for improvement. As the manufacturing process gets better, the transistors are made much smaller causing the chip to be much more efficient (cooler, so can be pushed harder) and therefore more can be fit on a wafer (speeding up the chip). This happens at a very fast and predictable rate (google Moore's law). Speaker and Amplifier performance doesn't double every two years.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
It's a silly line of attack tbh.

Until a speaker comes along which exactly portrays the recording as though it were live then there is always room for improvement.

And I think Steve's analogy is sound too. No, there aren't the massive, speedy breakthroughs in speaker technology as there are in IC technology, but the improvements and breakthroughs are still there.

If there is a red herring, it's mentioning Moore's law, which has feck all to do with speakers! :)

ha, can't even use a Father Ted swear word! :) Drink!, feck!, girls!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:

I wasn't using this as a line of 'attack' by any means, I just feel people need to be wary about analogies. Especially in this sort of situation, where I think everyone reasonable will accept there's a bit of advertising hyperbole alongside the first product and then the second product, although there will be a genuine and worthwhile improvement. In fact, it's something AVI and WHF have in common! Aggrandising the latest product as the best ever and a huge step up from the last, it's great advertising and shifts products.

So leave out the naff analogies defending something that doesn't need to be defended. There are genuine, substantial and (fairly) consistent leaps forward with processors (neatly summarised by Moore's Law - this only has nothing to do with speaker technology because the comparison shouldn't have been made in the first place). Cone speaker technology has been essentially the same for decades, DAC chips already do their job by measuring flat.

A

Anonymous

They use new drivers which are better than the old ones, which were already very good, i can testify to that. Mine actually live up to the hype, they're brilliant :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts