AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Bialykot said:
CnoEvil said:
Bialykot said:
I used to have and upgrade a high end separates system (well respected 5* stuff according to all the hifi mags, running into several £1000s) but changed to the ADM9.1s a couple of years back, but only because my living room looked like a hifi shop and the missus was fed up with all the boxes.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you used to have?

Top of range Meridian CD player, pre and power amps, B&W Nautilus speakers, Ariston turntable and Dynavector Karat pickup. Plus lots of other sources. Great sound but too much equipment so downsized to the ADMs. The great thing about the ADMs is the flexibility with digital and analogue inputs plus built in amps of course. Everything clutter free now and added bonus of fabulous sound. I have a BK XLS200 sub in matching gloss black which works well with them, especially with movies which tend to have a lot more bass energy. And they play louder than my old system without distorting, but that's at crazy levels.

To be honest, I could live with a high end passive system or the actives purely on sound, but the latter tick all the boxes for me.

Thx for the info - it's always more meaningful when you get a comparison against previously owned kit.

Without enjoyment, you have nothing...and if you can get it with less boxes, it's all the better.

Cno

T

the record spot

audiokid said:
Perhaps surprising to many, I don't find the AVIs bass light actually; so it shows that room interactions are key, as in the demo I could hardly hear the bass. The AVI are doing an excellent job as a second system with the iMac. Highly recommended!

The latest version, the ones you have in the Red Spot, have new drivers which "do" bass. The earlier models were widely praised for the sound they put out, but generally felt they were bass light (depending on whose view you subscribe to, they were either accurate and gave you "real" bass, or they were on the shy side).

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I bought a pair roughly two years ago for my Dad as we were digitising his record collection. Also as an attempt to simplify his listening experience.

I personally thought they were ok sounding , nothing earth shattering tho. My Dad likes streaming with no buttons so they have done ok by him.

I personally wouldn't give them house room due to the unpleasant views of the sales guy.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I don't recognise that view at all.

He is confident in his products, and very forthright in his opinions (sometimes a little too forthright). But he has more experience and knows more about hi fi than most of us here ever will.

Have you based your opinions on the negative comments on here.

Hes a nice bloke when you meet him, and he keeps in touch with his customers. I can see how he winds people up, I do too sometimes.

UNPLEASANT VIEWS, not fair.

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
audiokid said:
Re tonal accuracy, I listen to many types of music and have tried this on both systems.

I really meant some kind of separate, external reference.

I suppose a piano might sound a bit brighter if the bass extension is less. Earlier I had a listen to some piano music on my ADM9Ts (which I rarely listen to any more) and I can perhaps see what you mean here.

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to start a slanging match. The speakers do a job , my father is happy. I'm happy because he is still enjoying his music. I was wrong to bring my personal choice into this thread.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've only heard the 9s, didn't really look too closely at the build, although to be fair the ADM40s are very high quality.

If only everybody could make a cabinet like MA.

A

Anonymous

Well, I listened, and I'm still undecided. The ADM9s (no, not the latest version; Bartletts was offloading older ones at a reduced price) had quite exceptional clarity but I failed to be moved by them. God knows what was going on. It could have been the day, my mood, the space, who knows. I just didn't feel swayed by the music. It felt more like an operation. Perhaps some would just call all of this distortion.

SB

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've got a pretty sorry record with shop demos myself.

Some people find them different and thus are alittle unsettled or confused by them.

What you were hearing was a lack of distortion.

Even by AVIs admission, pre RS models played much better with a sub.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The addition of a sub is all well and good, but if a sub is required for the ADMs, that pushes the price to £2K. For that money, I'd be looking at a different set of actives altogether.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
True indeed, but it's still extra cost and one extra box for those that want less bits of equipment. That said, the ADMs still include preamp and DAC and are still excellent VFM.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
char_lotte said:
I'm not going to start a slanging match. The speakers do a job , my father is happy. I'm happy because he is still enjoying his music. I was wrong to bring my personal choice into this thread.

I have some sympathy, and have spent plenty of time there.

That is all.

I've been trying to keep away from this thread, purely because I don't have an opinion on active SQ, not heard and don't have any real ambition to go out and hear any TBH. Like any hi-fi, some love them while others don't. That's totally understandable. Swings and roundabout, I suppose.

The one thing that puzzles me, and I could be totally and utterly wrong, is I've heard (or read is more accurate) over the past year or two statements to the tune of "AVIs are better than any system below 10k". To me that is a very over-lofty claim for a £1200 active. Surely if that was the case then more people would be buying active? As I said, could be totally wrong, and these active are that good, and if so then I applaud the technicians and engineers who created the active.

A little clarity would be good.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
So you don't really care about those claims, as you have no wish to hear any actives. But then you ask for clarity, when what you are asking lacks, well...

It doesn't really matter.

Messiah

plastic penguin said:
The one thing that puzzles me, and I could be totally and utterly wrong, is I've heard (or read is more accurate) over the past year or two statements to the tune of "AVIs are better than any system below 10k". To me that is a very over-lofty claim for a £1200 active. Surely if that was the case then more people would be buying active? As I said, could be totally wrong, and these active are that good, and if so then I applaud the technicians and engineers who created the active.

I think the AVIs are fantastic speakers and have outperformed a more expensive Cyrus / MA system I had before but I would not say they beat any system below 10k. As you say, if that were the case then why doesn't everyone have them?

I guess AVI actives are like any other brand / type of hifi that has its own house sound. For some they will find it ideal and maybe better than their 10k system but for others they will not.

I heard quite a few impressive systems at The Bristol Show a couple of years ago. Each had their own strengths and weaknesses and I do not think the AVIs are any different. For me I want outstanding clarity and I am prepared to sacrifice other qualities to get this and this is what the AVIs offer.

Messiah said:
plastic penguin said:

I think the AVIs are fantastic speakers and have outperformed a more expensive Cyrus / MA system I had before but I would not say they beat any system below 10k. As you say, if that were the case then why doesn't everyone have them?

I guess AVI actives are like any other brand / type of hifi that has its own house sound. For some they will find it ideal and maybe better than their 10k system but for others they will not.

I heard quite a few impressive systems at The Bristol Show a couple of years ago. Each had their own strengths and weaknesses and I do not think the AVIs are any different. For me I want outstanding clarity and I am prepared to sacrifice other qualities to get this and this is what the AVIs offer.

That's fair enough - I can understand that. My main concern would be these "other" outlandish claims could mis-lead those with less experience to go down the wrong path.

As I said, something Alec doesn't seem to grasp, is I'm not knocking the virtues of actives but trying to gain a realistic take on the pros and cons of actives.

As it stands, my current set-up, though not technically the best, sounds "right". The tonal qualities are as good as I could ever hope for, so for me it's about not rockin' the boat.

The old saying applies to hi-fi: If something is too good to be true, then it usually is...

Thanks, Messiah.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
SimonDB said:
Well, I listened, and I'm still undecided. The ADM9s (no, not the latest version; Bartletts was offloading older ones at a reduced price) had quite exceptional clarity but I failed to be moved by them. God knows what was going on. It could have been the day, my mood, the space, who knows. I just didn't feel swayed by the music. It felt more like an operation. Perhaps some would just call all of this distortion.

SB

I totally agree about the ADM9's being uninvolving. I find that this happens with rock and pop music with over-lean speakers like the ADM9's. You lose the punch of the bass guitar and kick drum that drives so many tracks along. They are also a bit dynamically compressed, which doesn't help.

Alec said:
I don't recall saying, or even implying, that you were knocking anything. You're just starting the same ol'. Again.

Goodnight.

Please don't be spikey. I'm only trying to understand why you and other active users rate them so high. I don't have opinion because I've not heard them - I've not even seen a pair in the flesh, only in pictures.

I've never had rabbit pie, but that doesn't mean I can't ask questions about the fluffy pastry.

Nightie night.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts