AVI ADM9 active system

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Courtesy of darrenwm1 I had another opportunity to listen to AVI's active speakers (though to call them simply active's is doing them a disfavour bearing in mind they have a pre-amplifier, DAC and potent power amps built in to a nice, compact standmount, all remote controlled).

On switch-on and fed lossless files through a squeeze box/laptop (an amazing component in itself with one of the coolest remote controls i've seen) it sounded exactly like I remembered and thats both a good and bad thing. Let me explain ...

The sound (stage) is clear with a capital C. By that I mean the clarity is amazing. It has depth, width and height. The quality of the tweeter ensures it never strays in to bright like some manufacturers speakers do but it is certainly not veiling anything over. If you are after (artificial) warmth and a cosy sound, dont read on and look for something else. If however you want to hear whats on the disc/file this is where it starts at 1k though I can't see how you could put something like this together at 1.5 or probably even for 2k.

There is a lack of punch or loudness at inital listening. After about twenty minutes I was drawn in to the music and revelled in the detail of a soundstage that always sounded together and powerful when the music demanded it. This system does'nt exagerate but when dynamics are called for, oh boy do they come.

Criticism? In view of its price (around £1000) this is imo an astonishing system. Its strength far far outweigh any slight reservations I have, namely that mild lack of loudness I like, especially when listening at quiet volumes and a slightly papery midrange. Though really, it is more a case of clarity and transparency than any shortcoming of the speaker itself and after about an hour you dont notice and just listen to your collection with new found enthusiasm. This and the serious power (approx 300 watts per speaker) ensures transients and dynamics are full on. Bass is limited by the size of the enclosures but there are sub-outs. I like my bass tight and powerful and whilst good, the ADM9's could be a bit more punchy and tight in that respect, but thats what I know and like and in all fairness, I've listened to them in a foreign place and perhaps they could be set up better but I can't say for certain. Bottom line ... I will drive up to AVI as and when the new models are ready and if they are even a very slight improvement over the current 9's, I'll buy a pair.

Thanks for the coffee mate.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that DM. How do they compare with the Proac studios? I'm guessing from what you've described that the Proacs bass probably better but dynamics maybe better on ADM9's.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]
Have to say, watching his video demo on youtube, you could tell that it sounded really good.........
[/quote]

Hi Mr Duncan. Yes they are very good but its not one of those products that impress on a five min dem. They get better the longer you listen which is a good thing. Unfortunately many people dont give products such as these the time they deserve. Not perfect but for a grand its a no-brainer if you like your music accurate.

John Duncan

Which I do, as you know - couple of issues for me personally though; size is a problem, they wouldn't get in the house - if they gave this treatment to the new Neutron Vs in the fullness of time, I'd be interested; secondly, I'd miss my Primare knobs..........

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Jaxon5, The studios do have very good bass though that has as much to do with the amp used. Yes, in my system the bass was slightly better but what you dont have is the real world transient power from good multi hundred watt amplification directly to drivers without complex xover components, something I've always thought was the correct way to do things if done correctly. Having said all that the studios are lovely speakers and worth every penny.

A

Anonymous

Nice to know that actives can be that good. Maybe the future isn't so scary after all! Not switching anytime soon though :)

A

Anonymous

Drummer, pleasure to meet you. Nice chap.

Thanks for the kind write-up and feel free to ask me any Q's that arise re: AVI, Squeezebox or computer music.

Darren

A

Anonymous

Rosewood is gorgeous in the flesh, but may be hard to appreciate in photos.

I would get Rosewood or Walnut if it suited the decor, but I ended up with Cherry. They are still very nice though, and well-built :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts