AVI ADM9.1 - Initial impressions

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sorry: before you edited, there were several posts between yours and the one you were referring to, so just wanted to clarify what you were responding to.

matthewpiano

Ultimately anyone can only properly comment on equipment that they have heard, so the only really valid opinions on the AVIs are from those who have spent some time listening to them.

I haven't heard them, and they wouldn't suit me (I'm too traditional and too focused on CD and vinyl), but they must be good for valued forum members like Messiah (who has previously owned some expensive Cyrus gear IIRC) to rate them so highly.

What irritates me about the whole thing is the 'we are right, you are wrong' attitude that emanates from the AVI camp and I actually suspect that this approach has lost AVI more customers than they have gained. Building an argument for complete objectivity in choosing hi-fi and basing that objectivity on scientific measurement before using it as 'evidence' for the ADM9.1s superiority over everything else simply seems like a good way of trying to persuade everyone that they are foolish for liking something else. That alienates people and, if the ADM9.1 is the credible and high quality option it seems to be, it is a shame.

Finally, nobody on the sales side of this industry can claim any sort of impartiality. We are all biased in one way or another and it is often our passion for particular products that makes us so successful in our jobs. That, of course, is why rules exist to ensure that we clearly state our interests on this forum.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
You know I have to admit that with all the spamming and hype over the ADM9.1, I'm really tempted to try a pair.... The tech makes sense, in terms of being good value for money... If I had a stack of expensive electronics in my listening room now, I wouldn't even consider ditching them to try the ADMs though....

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:What irritates me about the whole thing is the 'we are right, you are wrong' attitude that emanates from the AVI camp and I actually suspect that this approach has lost AVI more customers than they have gained. Building an argument for complete objectivity in choosing hi-fi and basing that objectivity on scientific measurement before using it as 'evidence' for the ADM9.1s superiority over everything else simply seems like a good way of trying to persuade everyone that they are foolish for liking something else. That alienates people and, if the ADM9.1 is the credible and high quality option it seems to be, it is a shame.

Interestingly (to me, anyway) AVI is only one of many HiFi brands/Audiophiles with such arrogance... I really like Musical Fidelity Gear, but I have to admit that their marketing claims are.......

I've yet to see a HiFi forum that doesn't include some open warfare over brand superiority etc... Such is the nature of our hobby.,.,. We can't just all admit to having different tastes and sonic priorities....

matthewpiano

Ajani:
matthewpiano:What irritates me about the whole thing is the 'we are right, you are wrong' attitude that emanates from the AVI camp and I actually suspect that this approach has lost AVI more customers than they have gained. Building an argument for complete objectivity in choosing hi-fi and basing that objectivity on scientific measurement before using it as 'evidence' for the ADM9.1s superiority over everything else simply seems like a good way of trying to persuade everyone that they are foolish for liking something else. That alienates people and, if the ADM9.1 is the credible and high quality option it seems to be, it is a shame.

Interestingly (to me, anyway) AVI is only one of many HiFi brands/Audiophiles with such arrogance... I really like Musical Fidelity Gear, but I have to admit that their marketing claims are.......

I've yet to see a HiFi forum that doesn't include some open warfare over brand superiority etc... Such is the nature of our hobby.,.,. We can't just all admit to having different tastes and sonic priorities....

I agree about MF, and other brands. In fact I know hi-fi dealers/retailers who have been completely put off promoting MF for that very reason. It is superb equipment though.

It is a shame that we can't 'just all admit to having different tastes and sonic priorities' because for me, that is exactly what this is all about. The vast amount of kit that I've heard and owned has showed me very clearly how wildly different recordings can sound through different CD players, amps, and speakers and, whilst I've been able to hear the considerable merits in most of the equipment I've tried, very few combinations have effectively hit the spot for me.

matthewpiano

matengawhat:never read the marketing just the spec sheet!

I wouldn't even bother with that. Just switch it on and listen to it. It is either right for you or it isn't. Simple as that IMO, as long as the feature-set is right for your needs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts