AV Receivers with on-board Zone 2 speaker outs

eastendmyfreind

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi all & happy Saturday

Having waited approx 10 years due to house not being appropriate & wife not being convinced I've just splashed out on a lovely brand spanking AV system in new house. Yamaha RX-V675 amp, B&W 685 S2 5.1 speakers, Pioneer Blu ray etc. The kit was all bought from Sevenoaks in Surbiton and I was very happy with the service on the whole.

However part of the requirement was for another pair of speakers in the kitchen (I skimped a bit and went for Q Acoustics 2020is). When wiring everything up earlier in the week I discovered that instead of Zone 2 *speaker* connections, there is actually a pair of Zone 2 *phono* outs, that I presume require further amplification for the second set of speakers.

Drat! I do have another amp, but was hoping to get the Zone 2 connections out of one box. Otherwise my already pretty full AV rack is going to look even more immense...

So, is it possible to get Zone 2 speaker connections as well as the usual 5.1 in one receiver box? Which AV receivers do this and are they any good?

Thanks in advance

epj1987

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
There are zone 2 speaker connections on a RX-V675. They're labelled 'Zone 2/F.Presence'. All you need to do is select the right speaker configuration in the menu to run a zone 2. Hope that helps.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
I'm pretty sure with this amp you can assign the extra surround speaker output (the '7' channel output) as Zone 2 and therefore drive the speakers directly. But you can only send analogue inputs to zone 2.

I think a morning reading the manual with a cup of tea is in order!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Petherick said:
I'm pretty sure with this amp you can assign the extra surround speaker output (the '7' channel output) as Zone 2 and therefore drive the speakers directly. But you can only send analogue inputs to zone 2.

I think a morning reading the manual with a cup of tea is in order!

I have the Onkyo TX-NR609 and it can only send analogue to Zone 2 - luckily this was not an issue to me, but yes have a good look at the manual, as only sending analogue signals may seriously restrict what music you had planned to send to your kitchen.

eastendmyfreind

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
OK, all sorted now thanks guys.

You're right though it's a more limited selection of inputs, but includes iPod/USB / AirPlay / NAS streaming so all good. Also I was just jumping around my kitchen to bangin drum and bass too - good start to a Saturday!

Thanks for your help :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts