AV Receiver that will impress HI FI enthusiast

Potter

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

First post and of course I need advice.

I sold my first hifi amplifier (Cambridge Audio 640a) and I really want a AV Receiver but I don't want to miss out on music quality at all. I'm think about spending $1,000 and I currently have 2 Cambridge Audio Aero 6 Towers.

I primarily listen to Vinyl on a Technics 1200 MK5 with a Ortfon Red cartridge.

Long story short...

If you had $1,000 to $1,200 what would you buy. FYI I also sold my phono Pre-Amp with the amplifier so I will need to have it integrated or within budget.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

abacus

Have a listen to the Marantz &Pioneer range within your budget as they are probably the best with music at that level.
I will be honest though and say that thae budget is way too low for an AV Receiver that really shines with music, better to save some more cash and have a look at the Anthem range which really are good with Music, as well as having top notch room correction software. (NOTE: A good quality phono pre-amp does not have to cost a fortune and can give a better result than an inbuilt one)

Bill

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
I used to have a RC-03 Rotel Pre-amp and 2x RB 03 Rotel amps that were set up as dual mono power amps just for music. I changed to a mid-range Yamaha AV amp (RX 765) which was new at the time.

I didn't notice a huge difference to be honest. I have a Denon AV 3600H now and am quite happy with it's music reproduction. It also has a built in phono Pre-Amp.

Of course traditional Hi-Fi separates are better, but I think you might be pleasantly surprised how good a mid-range AV amp is with music, especially in pure direct mode. I reduced 3 boxes, all the wires and power and have not regretted it one bit.

As mentioned in the post above, have a listen to a Marantz or others and see what you think.

scene

As a long time hifi enthusiast, I'd agree that a Marantz AV amp (I have one) is worth listening to. Even though Denon and Marantz have been the same company for a long time, I think Marantz amps have been better for two-channel sound reproduction.

One question: What speakers are you using, especially for the front pair (LR)? These can make a huge difference to the quality of your sound, particularly for two-channel music. My Marantz has the option to run in pure stereo mode, and with this it ONLY uses the front pair. If you're using sub/small (satellite) set up - you're not going to get the best music reproduction... I've got a pair of floorstanders for my front pair.

Potter

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
As a long time hifi enthusiast, I'd agree that a Marantz AV amp (I have one) is worth listening to. Even though Denon and Marantz have been the same company for a long time, I think Marantz amps have been better for two-channel sound reproduction.

One question: What speakers are you using, especially for the front pair (LR)? These can make a huge difference to the quality of your sound, particularly for two-channel music. My Marantz has the option to run in pure stereo mode, and with this it ONLY uses the front pair. If you're using sub/small (satellite) set up - you're not going to get the best music reproduction... I've got a pair of floorstanders for my front pair.
Thanks, I am using 2 Cambridge Audio Aero 6 for the fronts. No Subwoofer, No Surrounds. I would like to get these in the future but I want something that is quality but again that is down the road.

Potter

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
Have a listen to the Marantz &Pioneer range within your budget as they are probably the best with music at that level.
I will be honest though and say that thae budget is way too low for an AV Receiver that really shines with music, better to save some more cash and have a look at the Anthem range which really are good with Music, as well as having top notch room correction software. (NOTE: A good quality phono pre-amp does not have to cost a fortune and can give a better result than an inbuilt one)
Thanks Bill,

I have been looking at the Anthem range it's a little above what I want to spend but I keep leaning more and more to them. I guess thats the main reason I asked the question on here. I figured someone and or a group might have a good option on a lineup with a lower cost.

When AV receivers - like hi-fi amplifiers - have a particular sound to them, choosing the right speakers for them becomes more important. When you look at AV receivers like Anthem that have less character to them, more neutral, like Hegel hi-fi amplifiers, your choice of speaker, and choice of matching combinations becomes less of an issue. It’s mainly down to whether you want a specific sort of sound or whether you want something more accurate/neutral.

scene

Thanks Bill,

I have been looking at the Anthem range it's a little above what I want to spend but I keep leaning more and more to them. I guess thats the main reason I asked the question on here. I figured someone and or a group might have a good option on a lineup with a lower cost.
If you're looking at things in the Anthem price bracket, I'd suggest looking at Arcam AV amps as well. I think they make some of the most audiophile AV amps there are - but you'll pay for the privilege.

Potter

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
When AV receivers - like hi-fi amplifiers - have a particular sound to them, choosing the right speakers for them becomes more important. When you look at AV receivers like Anthem that have less character to them, more neutral, like Hegel hi-fi amplifiers, your choice of speaker, and choice of matching combinations becomes less of an issue. It’s mainly down to whether you want a specific sort of sound or whether you want something more accurate/neutral.
Thanks David, Ya I guess I would say I prefer less of a specify tone due to amplification and more focus on accuracy and seperation.

I just got into the hifi a couple years ago and I loved the seperation that I noticed between the musical elements.

Now it's time to upgrade and I kinda want the best of both worlds hifi and technology.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
I think you’ll find a mid-range AV amp will equal the sound quality of your previous 640a amp. Plus you get the advantages of being able to stream Hi-Res music from the likes of amazon music and Tidal.

My advice would be to go and listen in a demo. Get the dealer to do a blind A to B comparison.

Potter

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
I think you’ll find a mid-range AV amp will equal the sound quality of your previous 640a amp. Plus you get the advantages of being able to stream Hi-Res music from the likes of amazon music and Tidal.

My advice would be to go and listen in a demo. Get the dealer to do a blind A to B comparison.
Thanks! By mid range what would you suggest for a price range?

Potter

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
Anything from Yamaha’s Aventage range, Marantz amps as noted above. My Denon 3600 just about qualifies as mid-range and is What Hi-Fi’s AV amp product of the year.

Your $1,000 budget is nicely in the mid-range.
Gonna throw a curve ball out there. London Drugs in Canada (where I am from) is selling a Onkyo TX NR777 for $500 the have it listed as original price of $1049 -- is it a piece of crap at thAt price??? Just seems like alot of money to take off from MSRP obviously it's older but again looks like a good deal.

RayP

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
PMFJI. I've been into hi-fi since the 70s and started with a Rotel amp before progressing through Cambridge P60 and ending up with an Audiolab 8000C/P pre-power combo that cost around £900 20 years ago.

But in 2000 I wanted an AV amp and chose a Denon A10SE which served me well until 2012. I then bought a Yamaha RX-A3010 Aventage which has been superb ever since. Speakers are B&W CM4.

@Potter , I wouldn't advise the Onkyo. Not best for music but is great for home cinema. Denon and Yamaha are probably the best but you should try and get a demo with your own speakers. That is very important. A second-hand Yamaha RX-A30x0 would be a very good AVR as it has Pure Direct mode that bypasses all the circuitry for a cleaner sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts