AV Receiver or Hi-Fi amp? Help!

lisali

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and I landed here after researching AV receivers. Here's my story:

For years, I had a Kenwood 5.1 surround system, which worked great - fast to switch on/off, no fan noise, great sound. Then it started making satanic, screeching noises so it had to go.

I though about getting an all-in-one system with a DVD/Blu-Ray player, so I tried models from LG, Sony and Samsung. While these are all supposed to be modern devices, I'm shocked at how slow they are to switch on an off, and especially by HOW MUCH NOISE THEY MAKE. They sound like they are churning something all the time. They are buggy, unresponsive at times and just plain annoying. The sound they produce is OK.

Someone suggested I get an amp or an AV receiver instead, as that was what my Kenwood kind of was - although it had a built-in CD/DVD player. Now, to be honest, I am not an expert in this field, and I'm not 100% sure what the difference between an amp an an AV receiver is, but I know what I want. That is:

- Fast to switch on/off
- NO FAN NOISE

I do not really watch DVDs much. I listen to music and watch a lot of high-definition TV shows, either as MKVs or streaming. My living room is small, and all five speakers would be placed next to the TV. I'm getting Amazon Fire TV soon.

I'd love to hear what you'd suggest for me, and what you'd choose in my situation and why. I need good sound, and I need it fast!

Thank you! ?

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
The difference between an amp and a receiver is that the receiver also has a radio. Most modern receivers nowadays also have internet radio or Spotify (if you have a premium account). Also they can be used to stream music to from your computer. The cheapest receivers usually are surround receivers. Strangely stereo receivers with similar functions as surround receivers are more expensive. You wrote that you have placed all your speakers around your tv. That will not give you the best sound quality. When placed in the corners of your room you will get the best results with your speakers.

In order to play dvd's in conjunction with an amp or receiver you will be needing a dvd player or bluray player. You haven't mentioned the brand and type of your speakers, but as you wrote that you have placed them around your tv I guess they came with your former all in one, small surround speakers. If you really want a better sound I would buy some decent stereo speakers. If you reaaly want surround sound you can expand on your stereo speakers. As you just listen to music most of the time stereo will suffice and will sound better.

You have tried all in ones from Samsung, LG and Sony. Although Sony produces good quality all in ones the also have models for the bottom end of the market. If you get better quality all in ones like Marantz, Denon or the higher end Sony's you won't get the noise and much better sound quality. Seperate receivers and blurayplayers are more expensive but also better quality.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Get another receiver. You can use the speakers you currently have.

Today's receivers are 'cheap' and come with loads of features - built in DAC, WiFi etc. and will sound good and WILL deliver music as well as any comparable stereo amp.

Check the web for last years models - loads of bargains to be had.

lisali

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks so much for your responses! I do not have separate speakers, they are a part of the Samsung all-in-one, which I will be returning, so I will need a new set-up. I do not listen to the radio - ever. I do listen to music via USB, and I watch a lot of TV and on-demand content.

I am aware that for best sound quality, the speakers should be placed around me, but I can't make that work without unsightly wires for the time being.

So, any specific suggestions for receiver & speakers for around £400-500?

Thank you!

A

Anderson

Check out here
http://www.richersounds.com/products/system-savers/home-cinema-systems

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
As you don't want wires all over the place I would go for stereo. There are a lot of good budget speakers available. If I have to name a few the following spring to mind:
Dali Zensor
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 or the newer Diamond 220
Mordaunt Short Aviano
Monitor Audio BX2

To go with the speakers You can look for separates of Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo Pioneer or Sony. These brands are relatively cheap and offer good quality. To send you in the right direction check the internet for the Denon A vr-X1000. It has usb, but only for ipod. Check the specs of the receivers you come across for the connections that you need. For some reason most are only Apple compatible. I am not familiar with british prices (You are british right?), but I think that you can stay within Your budget with the brands that I mentioned.

lisali

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks so much for your responses. I'm just thinking if a simple stereo set-up will give me the same sound quality and depth as a 5.1 system, even with all the speakers placed next to the TV? I'd like to be able to place them behind me at some point, though.

I think I may need to get something with at least USB stick support, for easy access to music. I do not need streaming services, bluetooth, airplay or such.

Thank you!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
A receiver is still your best option - you do not have to use the radio!

You will have all your devices passing through it though - TiVo, PS4, PC etc and will have the option to go 5.1 when you choose....... Stereo is fine and well within your budget.

Just make sure you have enough HDMI inputs and leads to go.

And one to run between amp and tv.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Stereo will do just fine from where you come from sound quality wise. You can always expand your set when you want to give real surround a try. As I wrote before be sure to look at the specs of the receiver for the compatibilty of the usb port.

lisali

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site

lisali

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Peter Kudelstaart said:
As you don't want wires all over the place I would go for stereo. There are a lot of good budget speakers available. If I have to name a few the following spring to mind: Dali Zensor Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 or the newer Diamond 220 Mordaunt Short Aviano Monitor Audio BX2

To go with the speakers You can look for separates of Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo Pioneer or Sony. These brands are relatively cheap and offer good quality. To send you in the right direction check the internet for the Denon A vr-X1000. It has usb, but only for ipod. Check the specs of the receivers you come across for the connections that you need. For some reason most are only Apple compatible. I am not familiar with british prices (You are british right?), but I think that you can stay within Your budget with the brands that I mentioned.

Hi Peter,

Yes, I am from the UK. Those speaker sets looks lovely, I must say - all of them. Would I need a centre speaker and a sub to add to these, for movies/TV?

Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts