AV receiver and new 5.1 speaker

flashollie

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi All

I recently pickled up my new Panasonic Viera TXL42ET60b and blu ray Sonys BDPS790 after solid advice on here.

Initially i was going to go for a sound bar next month. But i have been so incredibly impressed with teh pictures that its on seems right to go for a 5.1 and AV reveiver.

So I have narrowed it down to these 2 Pioneer VSX-922 or the OnkyoTX-NR515 as budget is £250 max.

I have the same budget for speakers. The choice is less clear cut at the price range.

Options from Wharfdale MS100, Tannoy TFX 5.1 or Boston.

I could do with having a phyically small sub as she doesn't like "Fugly big back boxes in my lounge" but I don't think theres any other options.

Is there anything I have missed?

Thanks In advance.

Boston Acoustics Soundware XS SE is very good. I would recommend you look at Yamaha RX-V573 available at a bargain price now:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv573/yama-rxv573

This is another option:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txnr616/onky-txnr616-blk

flashollie said:
I could do with having a phyically small sub as she doesn't like "Fugly big back boxes in my lounge" but I don't think theres any other options.

The bigger the sub is, better will the performance be. Don't think you can get away with that! Mine is kept behind the sofa, so isn't visible.

flashollie

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks BB. So I can hide the sub behind my sofa too - so that wont affect the sound too much then? I naively thought it should be in front of the audience near to the screen?

Found a few reports that the OnkyoTX-NR616 had some reliability issues on early released models. Should I be concerned?

Reckon I'll go with the Bostons and save £30!

Why do you like the Yamaha, the specs of the Pioneer either Onkyos are all very similar.

It will be used for 60% films/TV and 40% music. So I guess it will come down to which sounds the best with the Bostons and the 20 year old Missions in the other room?

AV receivers had different sound signatures. Yamahas tend to be a little on the warm side which I prefer. Pioneers tend to be a bit bright. Onkyos are more neutral but when I demoed AV receivers for my purchase, I preferred Yamaha's sound. You should demo your options and see what you prefer.

I haven't heard of many issues with the Onkyo, except that they normally tend to run hot.

flashollie

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
That's useful thanks. I'll try to get a demo this week.

One final question. If I use the zones function on the AVR will I be able to switch off one zone or the other. For example. Can I play music through the AVR from say the IPod and switch off the 5.1 speakers in the lounge and watch the TV normally using sound from its own speakers. Often we are cooking in the kitchen while the kids watch telly in the lounge.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Beware with zones - I have an Onkyo TX-NR609 which will not play digital sources via zone 2. Check the manuals or ask your dealer before you purchase if using the zones for a specific purpose is important to you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts