£700 Budget for AV Receiver and 5.1 Speaker Set-up

jdamsell

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Afternoon All, a newby here in search of some guidance :)

So, I have recently purchased a new 3D TV - a Samsung UE46F8000, to be precise. I am using it in conjunction with my 5 year old Onkyo AVX-380 "out of the box" receiver and speaker system. Although I can't be sure as I have nothing to measure it against, I suspect that I'm not going to get the best out of the TV with this Onkyo package. As such, I have a maximum budget of £700 for something better, and would appreciate some pointers, as I am a novice with no idea apart from how good the visuals are, and how great the sound is!

My primary usage will be Blu Ray (particularly action and sci fi films in 3D), music (either streamed via Apple TV or with an iPod directly connected to the receiver), and PS3 gaming (my son moreso than me, surprise surprise!). It's to be located in a lounge with a heigh ceiling, in case that makes any difference!

Having popped into Richer Sounds yesterday, I was pointed in the direction of the Sony STRDN-1040 AC receiver, and Wharfedale DX1-HCP speaker set, for a conbined price of around £680, and have arranged a demo next week. I was also thrown a Yamaha to consider (don't recall the model), but was advised that if music sound quality is important to me (yes it is), then the Sony is the better bet. Having read reviews of the Sony, it seems there are concerns about streaming drop out, and connectivity with Apple devices in general - is that correct?

Sorry to be a bit of a doofus with this - I'm hoping for at least a pointer that the Richer recommendation is the way to go, and if not, why not. What would you choose to spend your hard earned £700 on?

PS - I should add that I use the PS3 for blu ray playback also.

DiNZi

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
If I had £700, I'd probably pick from one of the below.

http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/home-cinema-separates-bundle-deals/pah011577

http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/home-cinema-separates-bundle-deals/pah011462

If you never plan on going to a 7.1 setup I'd just get these two below.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv475/yama-rxv475-blk

and

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/tannoy/hts101/tann-hts101-blk

I know from experience that with the bundle deals they can do further discount on, the seperates I'd put together above maybe they won't be able to do much with that.

I prefer Yamaha now after a lot of reading and a demo yesterday, but you might also like Denon.

Also, if you do go for the 675 which is 7.1, you could save up £100-200 and get two new fronts and add that to the existing HTS 101 package in the future, it would sound great.

jdamsell

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
DiNZi, thanks for the pointers. Yes, in all likelihood I would plump for 7.1. I'm keen to "futureproof" my purchase (well, as much as it's possible to), so it would make sense to be able to add additional front speakers at some point in the future (if I don't have the dosh for it now). I'll take a look at the first two options you listed. Cheers :)

DiNZi

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Like others will tell you, I think if you do decide to go outside of retailers and get used kit you will get more for your money.

Unfortunately the two links are quite similar, it's whatever you fancy Denon or Yamaha, I do think you get a slightly better AV with the Yamaha than the Denon but it's very hard to tell the two AVs apart, I've tried for a couple of days online most can't tell me, I've rung a few retailers and of about 10 of 14 have said Yamaha all the way.. They cite that it's more versatile and can handle music better than the Denon and with movies you won't be able to tell the two apart.

jdamsell

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Dinzi, while home cinema isn't my area of expertise, I've no problem looking to the "off retail" market as long as I know what to look for, which I guess is another reason for asking for pointers on here.

As regards Denon vs Yamaha, it's funny, the chap at Richer Sounds said he'd plump for Sony over Yamaha as he felt it offered a better musical audio performance. I have no idea whether that's trueor not - I guess it's a subjective view.

Happy to pursue your links though, although the HTS set up seems to be pricey as a stand alone purchase. Richer have definitely got the best package deal with that. We shall see!

In the meantime, I need to offload my Onkyo kit.....

DiNZi

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Try and flog your Onkyo on GumTree first if that doesn't work then eBay does the trick.

Also, your right, if you want to spend the extra the new Sony 1040 is an amazing AVR! But, the 675 in the HTS package, is a brilliant AVR too, both are highly rated on whathifi.

T

the record spot

I'd go £250 for the Onkyop TX-NR626 (Richer Sounds) and that leaves you a very doable £450 for your speakers. Take your pick of whatever works for you in that price bracket. Big Onkyo fan - highly musical, functionality and connectiviy are excellent and network features are very good too.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
I'd go £250 for the Onkyop TX-NR626 (Richer Sounds) and that leaves you a very doable £450 for your speakers. Take your pick of whatever works for you in that price bracket. Big Onkyo fan - highly musical, functionality and connectiviy are excellent and network features are very good too.

I noticed the 626 price on RS site last week and thought what a fantastic bargain. I have the previous version (609) and I've been very pleased with it.

Just to throw in another option - which doesn't suit everyone but worked for me. You could consider buying just the fronts and centre speaker first, and then adding the rears and sub when funds allow. The advantage of this option is that you get a better performing speaker package which is likely to last you longer and be more cost effective in the longrun - based on you being less likely after a year or two to want to upgrade again. If this option appeals, have a look at speakers for fronts in the £200 - £300 a pair price bracket (the centre likely to be circa £150).

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
the record spot said:

I noticed the 626 price on RS site last week and thought what a fantastic bargain. I have the previous version (609) and I've been very pleased with it.

Just to throw in another option - which doesn't suit everyone but worked for me. You could consider buying just the fronts and centre speaker first, and then adding the rears and sub when funds allow. The advantage of this option is that you get a better performing speaker package which is likely to last you longer and be more cost effective in the longrun - based on you being less likely after a year or two to want to upgrade again. If this option appeals, have a look at speakers for fronts in the £200 - £300 a pair price bracket (the centre likely to be circa £150).

that's a good shout, particularly if you're looking for reasonable musical performance. Small satellite speakers are ok when all channels are firing from a bluray (with sub engaged), but on their own the main left & right channels can sound pretty underwhelming. Something like Dali Zensor or Monitor Audio Bronze would be a good starting point.

Actually my Radius 270HD's for left & right with a Radius 180/225/250 centre can be had for about £450 if you look in the right places. (Not the very latest incarnation of the range). They're not as large as the Dalis or Bronzes but are still very musical and can slam quite a surprising bass performance even when the sub's not engaged.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts