AV / Hifi System Upgrade - Non Locked!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I managed to lock my last post,so reposted (can you tell I'm new to this!)

Hi All

I am currently looking at upgrading my AV / HiFi system, starting with a new AV receiver amp and speakers, with a budget of circa GBP £1,000 - GBP £1,500. My system is used for both home cinema and stereo listening, and so looking for reasonable performance in both.

Amps currently being considered are Harman Kardon AVR245 (I like option of iPod connection and control through The Bridge) and Sony STR-DA1200ES.

Speakers being considered are Monitor Audio BR5 + BR-FX + BRLCR and KEF iQ5 + iQ1 + iQ2c. I am not too worried about getting subwoofer at the moment, as room relatively small (3.5m x 3.0m) and can easily be added later.

So, questions:

1) Does anyone have any opinions on which amp would be better? Or indeed offer alternative amps to consider.

2) Will the Harman Kardon amp be a little underpowered for the speakers - ave output of 65W / ch in stereo; 50W / ch in surround?

3) Any opinions on which speakers would be best (both get pretty good reviews), or any alternatives to consider.

Any help or advice greatly received.

Thanks

Garry

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gjr72"]
1) Does anyone have any opinions on which amp would be better? Or indeed offer alternative amps to consider.

[/quote]

Personally I'd go for the Sony or the new Onkyo TX-SR605, but if you've heard the HK and like its sound and connectivity, then go for it.

[quote user="gjr72"]

2) Will the Harman Kardon amp be a little underpowered for the
speakers - ave output of 65W / ch in stereo; 50W / ch in surround?

[/quote]

No, that'll be fine.

[quote user="gjr72"]

3) Any opinions on which speakers would be best (both get pretty good reviews), or any alternatives to consider.

[/quote]

Both good packages at this level. IMHO the MA speakers are a bit warmer and bigger sounding, while the B&Ws major on speed and drive, but in a room that small I might be looking for a smaller package such as the Monitor Audio BR2, with a subwoofer, as I think this will give you much more controllable bass.

I fear the BR5s could rather over-excite the room, leading to some bass boom, whereas using the BR2s on the front channels will give a tighter sound.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your comments Andrew - some food for thought!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts