AV AMPLIFIER CONNECTION - HELP!

gareth133

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have recently bought an Onkyo TX-SR607 amplifier to connect to a Panasonic Blu-Ray player, Samsung TV, Bose speakers and a Sky HD Box. I know there are better amps and set-ups out there but as a non-audiophile, it should serve me well enough.

I currently have this set-up through an old, non HD amplifier which allows me to watch a blu-ray or Sky HD programme through the surround speakers or if I want, through my TV speakers (ie. my wife likes Coronation Street through the normal TV speakers and not through the Bose speakers!!!!!).

I would like to set up the new amp in the same way but as someone who is fairly inept at this type of thing, I don't know where to put the HDMI cables and the digital optical cables etc to achieve this. I thought it would be simple as I am only replacing the amplifier but it doesn't appear to be!

The 607 amp has 5 x HD in sockets and 1 x out. The blu ray has 1 x out, TV has 3 in, Sky Box 1 x out.

Could someone please advise me as to how to set this up in simple terms?

Thanks,

Gareth

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Sky needs an optical cable for 5.1 sound. Put the hdmi direct to the tv for your wife to watch and listen to sky normally.

Bluray via hdmi to amp (Make sure the bluray is set to only output 5.1 sound)

gareth133

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
OK, let me get this right.

1. HDMI from Sky HD to TV

2. Optical from Sky HD to Amp

3. HDMI from Blu Ray to Amp

Does this allow me to watch Sky HD via the amp (surround) and also watch a blu-ray through the TV without surround if I wanted?

gareth133

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Does this allow me to watch Sky HD via the amp (surround) and also watch a blu-ray through the TV without surround if I wanted?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
gareth133 said:

And you will need HDMI from the amp to the tv for the BluRay picture

You can listen to Sky thru the amp (which will give you 5.1 when broadacast)

You can listen to Sky from the tv thru the tv with the amp off

You can watch BluRay on tv and listen to HD sound via the amp, why would you listen to BluRay thru the tv, although I guess you could with a through HDMI connection on your amp, just scratching my head as to why you would want to do that??

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah its hard to imagine that you need optical cable for a Sky HD box, i was stunned also about 1 month ago when I had to dust off the optical cable. You would assume a modern piecve of technology that I had installed 4 months ago would be capable of sending DD through HDMI!

This is why im jumping to Virgin with thier TiVo box. It will actually give you better sound and through the HDMI. Has the potential for TrueHD and DTS HD.

Ok thats me venting at Sky for the day :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts