AV Amp for Monitor Audio Apex

Simon Pinkney

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone. Was wondering what people's thoughts were on partnering a new AV Amp with my Monitor Audio Apex speakers. I'm thinking of changing Amp again from a Pioneer VSX-LX55 (2011 model). I'm considering two of this years What HiFi winners. The top of range Yamaha RX-A3060 or the Yamaha RX-A1060. Let me know your thoughts. Would the A3060 be a bit over kill or are the speakers up to such an Amp given the difference in price between the two Amps. Thanks Simon

MMW

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
The Apex deserve the very best amp you can afford. They are very special speakers. They really sing with top quality electronics! I'm using RX-A3060 with Apex and I'm absolutely happy and amazed with the sound this pairing produces. The 3060 is without a doubt the VERY best sounding Aventage amplifier I have owned and I have owned almost every 30XX model through the last years. BTW I strongly suggest you to use a better sub than the Apex sub. Maybe a PV1D from B&W. Apex speakers needs a FAST and expressive sub and Apex sub it's rather slow sounding.

Hope this helps

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
MMW said:
The Apex deserve the very best amp you can afford. They are very special speakers. They really sing with top quality electronics! I'm using RX-A3060 with Apex and I'm absolutely happy and amazed with the sound this pairing produces. The 3060 is without a doubt the VERY best sounding Aventage amplifier I have owned and I have owned almost every 30XX model through the last years. BTW I strongly suggest you to use a better sub than the Apex sub. Maybe a PV1D from B&W. Apex speakers needs a FAST and expressive sub and Apex sub it's rather slow sounding.

Hope this helps

Agree with having the best amp you can afford, but have no issues with the Apex sub.

Any reason you are moving away from Pioneer?

Both Pioneer and Yamaha are great AV receivers and there are happy users with both. Both sound different, with Pioneer a bit bright and Yamaha a bit warm. I prefer Yamaha.

MA Apex subwoofer is awesome. I had it in my previous house, and when I demoed, I found it superior to PV1D.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
Both Pioneer and Yamaha are great AV receivers and there are happy users with both. Both sound different, with Pioneer a bit bright and Yamaha a bit warm. I prefer Yamaha.

Have you heard recent Yamaha AV receivers BB? I haven't, but recent reviews seem to indicate their top-flight models are possibly less warm than they used to be, somewhere around neutral. I can't remember where I read it now, but I'm sure one review even included the advice to "partner speakers carefully". But whatever, reviews seem to indicate that Yamaha have been upping their game recently. One review was even bold enough to suggest that its AVR could give many equivalent stereo amps a run for their money in 2-channel.

Can I ask about your Marantz? How would you describe its tonal balance compared to your previous Yamaha?

Simon Pinkney

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'm just considering things at the moment and was mainly wondering whether the better Amp might just be a waste of money. It doesn't sound like it will be. I might not move away from Pioneer. Still considering options.

Leeps said:
bigboss said:

Have you heard recent Yamaha AV receivers BB? I haven't, but recent reviews seem to indicate their top-flight models are possibly less warm than they used to be, somewhere around neutral. I can't remember where I read it now, but I'm sure one review even included the advice to "partner speakers carefully". But whatever, reviews seem to indicate that Yamaha have been upping their game recently. One review was even bold enough to suggest that its AVR could give many equivalent stereo amps a run for their money in 2-channel.

Can I ask about your Marantz? How would you describe its tonal balance compared to your previous Yamaha?
I haven't heard the 3060. The last Yamaha I heard was the 3050. For me, Marantz was a revelation in comparison to my Yamaha RX-V1900. More detailed and spacious sound. Mind you, the Yamaha I had wasn't Aventage (Aventage didn't exist then).

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
Leeps said:
bigboss said:

I haven't heard the 3060. The last Yamaha I heard was the 3050. For me, Marantz was a revelation in comparison to my Yamaha RX-V1900. More detailed and spacious sound. Mind you, the Yamaha I had wasn't Aventage (Aventage didn't exist then).

Interesting. How would you desribe the 3050 you heard compared to your Marantz? The Marantz certainly seems excellent value. I'm not interested in Atmos in my set-up, just as good surround sound a I have now (which is plenty good enough for me), but ideally an upgrade in 2-channel sound. The Pioneer's pretty good, but its power supply does struggle to control the bass at times. It's original RRP was only £800, so I can't expect too much. It's been excellent for what it is.

The Yamaha RX-A3060's power supply really looks very beefy indeed - they seem to have concentrated on basic solid amp design, on paper at least.

The downside for me though with the Yamaha is that, for now at least, it lacks Tidal. But the Marantz SR7011 includes it, so not only is it already cheaper than the Yammy, it saves me buying an additional streamer too.

Leeps said:
bigboss said:
Leeps said:
bigboss said:

Have you heard recent Yamaha AV receivers BB?  I haven't, but recent reviews seem to indicate their top-flight models are possibly less warm than they used to be, somewhere around neutral.  I can't remember where I read it now, but I'm sure one review even included the advice to "partner speakers carefully".  But whatever, reviews seem to indicate that Yamaha have been upping their game recently.  One review was even bold enough to suggest that its AVR could give many equivalent stereo amps a run for their money in 2-channel.

Can I ask about your Marantz?  How would you describe its tonal balance compared to your previous Yamaha?

Interesting.  How would you desribe the 3050 you heard compared to your Marantz?  The Marantz certainly seems excellent value.  I'm not interested in Atmos in my set-up, just as good surround sound a I have now (which is plenty good enough for me), but ideally an upgrade in 2-channel sound.  The Pioneer's pretty good, but its power supply does struggle to control the bass at times.  It's original RRP was only £800, so I can't expect too much.  It's been excellent for what it is.

The Yamaha RX-A3060's power supply really looks very beefy indeed - they seem to have concentrated on basic solid amp design, on paper at least.

The downside for me though with the Yamaha is that, for now at least, it lacks Tidal.  But the Marantz SR7011 includes it, so not only is it already cheaper than the Yammy, it saves me buying an additional streamer too.
It was the 3040 I compared with directly. I found the Marantz a touch better than the Yamaha. I don't know if there was an expectation bias there, as the Marantz was significantly cheaper. Also, it has the option of expanding to 7.1.4 which the Yamaha didn't.

I would try the Marantz if I were you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts