Auto dimming problem Sony 40W4500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Recently I purchased a 40W4500 and so far I'm impressed with the tv and the quality of the images. However, there is one problem which I find extremely annoying: the auto dimming feature. When playing Far Cry 2 on my Xbox 360, connected through a high quality HDMI cable, dark places/areas with low-light/shadows are very dark and without any details visible. When you approach this dark area in the game, the image becomes lighter when you're close and details become visible. Enemies from a distance are hence almost not visible when they are in the shadow, because the image is almost black. When you're inside buildings/houses and there is not a lot of light, a lot of detail is lost because of the too dark image.

I turned the advanced contrast enhancement option and the light sensor OFF, but the problem is still there. I tried both standard and cinema picture modes, adjusted the back light to higher and lower values, changed the brightness both in the tv menu and in the game menu... but without succes, the auto dimming feature is still there and it ruins my game experience. Is my set faulty, or is there a solution to this problem? How can I get rid off the auto dimming feature?

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I just got this TV * (set it up yesterday), and have just had a quick play with a couple of games on my Xbox 360 to test it worked with it!

I haven't played a game properly yet, nor in a darkened room (which is how I usually play, and watch films), and don't have Far Cry 2.

Have you tried setting the TV to Game/Text Mode, since I read on another forum that this defeats the auto-dimming feature?

(* rather than the Panasonic plasma I was thinking of in my post 'He ain't heavy, he's my plasma' !)

A

Anonymous

I think im getting a similar problem, it seems as though the tv go up a notch in brightness wen u go into a light area and down a notch wen u go near a dark area. Its not a smooth transition..i noticed it on Cloverfield Bluray too..

A

Anonymous

If most LCDs do it then shouldnt it be included in reviews of these tvs?

A

Anonymous

Not black levels, the black levels are execellent on the tv. Im on about something that happens which automatically dims and brightens the whole screen depending on how dark the scene is. Its abit annoying that you dont get a smooth transition from light to dark and vice versa.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Ginder:Not black levels, the black levels are execellent on the tv. Im on about something that happens which automatically dims and brightens the whole screen depending on how dark the scene is. Its abit annoying that you dont get a smooth transition from light to dark and vice versa.

Ginder

Apologies, misunderstud you. I am sure a similar question was raised not long ago but can't remember where. I think it has something to do with the automatic contrast enhancer. Switch it off if you can or set it to a lower level.

Hope this helps

PS. I just noticed this has been mentioned at least three times in this thread. Hungover and a bit slow today!

A

Anonymous

iv got the same problem as well, it cant be a flaw with lcds cus iv just sold my sony w2000 and that didnt have the problem. apart from that its a fine tv almost a match for my pioneer 428xd downstairs.

A

Anonymous

my 20w4000 used to do it! i kinda got used and it didnt bother me but it did it all the same....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts