Audioquest rocket 11 or Tellurium q blue II for rock and metal?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

podknocker

To be honest, I want people to spend £30k on Nordost products and then come on here to try and justify it.

It's like an echo chamber sometimes, where these fanatics promote and reinforce their opinion and any rational, scientific thinking just goes out the window.

There are and have been, 10 billion people on this planet and I'd argue most have believed, or do believe in god.

When someone knocks on my door and proves gods existence, I will change my mind and start believing.

Last edited:
To be honest, I want people to spend £30k on Nordost products and then come on here to try and justify it.

It's like an echo chamber sometimes, where these fanatics promote and reinforce their opinion and any rational, scientific thinking just goes out the window.

There are and have been, 10 billion people on this planet and I'd argue most have believed, or do believe in god.

When someone knocks on my door and proves gods existence, I will change my mind and start believing.
I would agree. You'd get a more noticeable improvement by using all that cash to buy a better CD player.....

WayneKerr

That's the first time I've ever seen anyone state that.
Good for you 👍

(Hope you live near Essex, as there are 2 of us that would like to witness the event. We could assist in the cable swapping - we'll promise not to bring any joined-up wire coat hangers 🙂).
I'd definitely be up for that (y) My guess is it would go the same way as cartridges, phono-stages, interconnects and speaker cables. I do enjoy our experiments Gray :)

Reactions: Gray

podknocker

If I was minted and was starting from scratch, I'd buy all the products in the top Cyrus range. The XR stuff.

The CDi-XR, Stream-XR and i9-XR would be a great line up. I'm sure these items wouldn't come close to £30k and spending any more wouldn't realise much better sound quality.

There is a finite amount of stuff out there and each item has a value, which cannot be exceeded. Many think HIFI is like Star Trek, with components having infinite capability, including lengths of copper.

Things are made of atoms and obey the laws of physics. At some point (and it's probably a Cyrus system), there are negligible improvements to be gained by spending more.

Sound quality and the perception of sound quality cannot go on forever.

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr

Maybe God will knock on your door with a gift of some high-end speaker cables! That would maybe convince you! 😉

Reactions: doifeellucky

podknocker

I've a very average, or perhaps above average system and it does make me stop what I'm doing sometimes and really appreciate the sound quality.

I think many have become a little ungrateful and perhaps don't realise how good their system sounds.

As was mentioned in another thread, people are never happy and are always looking for the next upgrade.

Many think a significant upgrade can be found in expensive copper wiring and I think they are being misled.

Again, the main ingredient in the pursuit of sound quality, is acoustics and people need to put this first.

Dropping your expensive system and Nordost nonsense will be no good if your room sounds dreadful.

Last edited:

Gray

The most normally encountered copper is everyday electrical copper, which is 99.95% Cu. To say that anything purer (if realistically achievable) would sound different is pure delusion. However, I am happy for people to hear what they want to hear, so long as I'm not also expected to hear it.
I've found that oxygen free copper conducts heat better - I would bet that it conducts electricity very slightly better too - but still not as well as silver does.

But I reckon your last sentence is the most relevant to the whole debate:
If you don't expect to hear a difference, then you're not going to.

Gray

A dear friend / ex work colleague kindly lent me a 1M Kimber Timbre interconnect
Still got my (0.75m) one of those, complete with the all-important directional arrows.

I got it as a prize, at the time it retailed for £76.
The plugs aren't bad - probably worth about £8.
No difference in sound of course....but I didn't reverse the arrows, which could have improved things 🤔
IMG_20231026_190438_MP.jpg

D

Deleted member 201267

Still got my (0.75m) one of those, complete with the all-important directional arrows.

I got it as a prize, at the time it retailed for £76.
The plugs aren't bad - probably worth about £8.
No difference in sound of course....but I didn't reverse the arrows, which could have improved things 🤔
View attachment 5411
£208.50 per metre now !

Gray

£208.50 per metre now !
Blimey, that is unbelievable 😱

(I've just got back in from Tesco - and I thought inflation was bad in there 🙄)

EDIT: Check the price of the 'CKAG' version! (Bottom of the scroll down).
And read its 1 review by 'anonymous' (so as not to be visited by men in white coats).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 201267

Blimey, that is unbelievable 😱

(I've just got back in from Tesco - and I thought inflation was bad in there 🙄)

EDIT: Check the price of the 'CKAG' version! (Bottom of the scroll down).
And read its 1 review by 'anonymous' (so as not to be visited by men in white coats).
KCAG - £1423.50 per metre...and going from memory they were fragile efforts. The freebie ones (about £1 to buy ?) are a lot better built...

Reactions: Gray

Gray

KCAG - £1423.50 per metre...and going from memory they were fragile efforts. The freebie ones (about £1 to buy ?) are a lot better built...
That 50p after the £1423 is brilliant - to look like the price has some meaningful composition 😆

Gray

The CDi-XR, Stream-XR and i9-XR would be a great line up.
It certainly would be.
I've got little doubt the i9 would sound significantly better than the XR-i7 that I bought, due to the power diferential....but look at the price differential.
(And It's not as if the i7 is quiet at 52W).

You can currently get an i7 for £1495 (I paid £1395) Crucially, it contains the latest version of the QXR DAC - the same one as in the £2,500 Stream XR.

Put something like a Wiim into the i7 DAC and you've got yourself a streamer / amp for a lot less money than the Stream XR.....which would still require an amp to be bought.

Apologies for temporarily straying from the thread subject....especially as it's the important subject of cables.

Reactions: podknocker

tones

May 11, 2023
Visit site
I've found that oxygen free copper conducts heat better - I would bet that it conducts electricity very slightly better too - but still not as well as silver does.

From Wikipedia:

The high-end speaker wire industry markets oxygen-free copper as having enhanced conductivity or other electrical properties that are supposedly advantageous to audio signal transmission. In fact, conductivity specifications for common C11000 (ETP) and higher-cost C10200 oxygen-free (OF) coppers are identical;[13] and even the much more expensive C10100 has only a one-percent higher conductivity—insignificant in audio applications.

So, I'm afraid that you're kidding yourself. But, if you're happy with the result, that's all that matters.

Reactions: WayneKerr

rainsoothe

Mine or there? I can’t actually tell if you’re making a statement or putting in my place or what tbh.

I never said any of that and I never said people couldn’t hear a difference and mentioned nothing of blind testing. I said if people can hear a difference that’s different thing.

I mentioned and I say it again in bold.
NOT ALL COPPER IS THE SAME FROM A MANUFACTURING POINT OF VIEW there are very much different grades wether you can hear that, thats different story. Some can some can’t . And I’m paraphrasing.

Good for you that you can.

My problem is the person I was responding too has spent 200 quid on 4 meters of cable (guessing as that’s the average length) and insists there’s no differences between cables. For a person that believes all cables sound the same and is giving advice to buy any odd cable, and buys an ultra version of that said cable it just kind of made me chuckle. Do you not see the problem there? Do you not see the contradiction?

that’s all I’m saying on the subject it’s boring
No, I was taking your side.

As for the test, unfortunately I live some 2052 km away. I am also not arguing for 20k per meter cables, and not even for pricey ones, I'm just saying I can tell some apart, after having used DNM Reson for years as tone control în my system. Also, of course any other component change will have a greater effect on a system, no question about that.

tones

May 11, 2023
Visit site
P.S. In retrospect, that, I think, is the most important observation of all. I come from a boring scientific background and still work in those fields. so I'm well acquainted with the properties of materials. I'm also well acquainted of just how easily human senses can be deceived - this is the reason why, in the flavour field, in which I have extensive experience, double-blind testing is the norm. There has been some astounding garbage written about such testing, famously by Michael Fremer of Stererophile, who refused to take James Randi's test for a million dollars, because he felt that a blind test put him under pressure and he couldn't deliver a proper assessment! As I wrote at the time:

Try blind tests
Try blind tests
See how they run
See how they run
If they don’t give the results your wife
Should hear (tho’ she’s deaf), say the stress, which is rife
Negates the results, cling to that for dear life
Deny blind tests

So, the moral of the story is, if you hear a difference, you hear a difference, regardless as to whether or not that difference is there in reality. The only ears you have to satisfy are your own.

tones

May 11, 2023
Visit site
I'm not kidding myself 🙂
I've never said any cable improved audio quality.
Though I did say that I've found OFC to be better for soldering.
Pleased to hear it!

My favourite cables story comes from the late John Dunlavy, founder of Duntech speakers. He would demonstrate cables to his customers, technicians behind the speakers holding up each pair of cables to be heard. The customers naturally heard "night and day" differences between the various cables. I'm not sure whether they were ever told than no cables had actually been changed and that they'd been listening to the same wires every time.

TRENDING THREADS