Audioquest rocket 11 or Tellurium q blue II for rock and metal?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oxfordian

Oh and by the way, I bought my TQ Ultra Blue leads because they are easy to push against skirting boards and they don't coil up like many cheaper alternatives.
That is a good call, many years ago when the kids were small I had some flat speaker cable and laid it under the carpet at the edge of the room so that I didn't have loose cable trailing around, it looked a bit neater as well, I cut the carpet just behind each speaker for the cable to run up to the binding posts, it looked quite cool with no loose cable lying around.

Maybe something I need to revisit as my current cables are a bit bulky and run along the carpet.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I challenge anyone who's on this forum to prove, during blind testing, that they can hear differences between different bits of copper between their amp and speakers.

Oh and by the way, I bought my TQ Ultra Blue leads because they are easy to push against skirting boards and they don't coil up like many cheaper alternatives.

I'm not under any delusion they sound better than QED 42 strand et al.

Hummmmm

I never said you could hear a difference I said there are actually differing grades of copper it's not all the same.
if you can hear a difference thats difference story

so 50quid a meter cable to push against the skirting and its bright blue! come on man!
when you could have bought some 10 quid a meter wireword (quick google) thats completely flat and white
Lets say say you bought 4 meters 2 each side and you got plugs with them thats 182 quid for the convince of pushing 5mm closer to the wall .

each to there own but dam.

D

Deleted member 201267

QED 42 strand at £1 per metre, or something that costs 300 times more.

I don't think you would get,buy a copper speaker cable for 300 times the money

I don't like the cheap qed cabel a little to much in the highs, but cheap Cordial,Sommer Cable from thomann of minimum 4.0 mm² is as good as any qed,audioquest,chord for the same price.

My recommendation is Cordial or Commer Cabel in a good gauge,thickness

(cls 240 is not listed anymore on there site)

"I don't think you would get,buy a copper speaker cable for 300 times the money"

podknocker

With bananas!

You would have to be bananas to buy this stuff.

It's £20k too expensive.

They'll be making this stuff in space soon, so they can 'justify' even higher prices.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 201267

With bananas!

You would have to be bananas to buy this stuff.

It's £20k too expensive.

They'll be making this stuff in space soon, so they can 'justify' even higher prices.
"They'll be making this stuff in space soon, so they can 'justify' even higher prices."

1698235379381.png

GREAT IDEA !

I'LL GET ONTO IT !!!

Reactions: podknocker
i Mostly listen to metal and it’s associated sub Genres. I have used Audioquest, chord co. And most recently Ricable. A little known Italian brand that make very good quality cables. I bought mine used off eBay. Not cheap, but I’m very happy with them, I won’t be replacing them.

Reactions: nopiano

matthewpianist

Does anybody know the reason why 79 strands were selected and not 78 or 80 ?

No idea at all, but I've been around the block with all sorts of speaker cables, and the 79-strand does the job as effectively as anything
Either people like this are convinced £20k speaker leads are worth it and they want others to enjoy the 'benefits', or these people know they are fooling the unwary customer and laughing all the way to the bank. I think it's the latter in most cases and I have nothing but contempt for these salespeople.

I know that back in my Sony Centre days, the margin on cables was huge. It was cables and furniture that made the margin mix work. VAIO and Cybershot offered virtually no margin, there was nothing to make out of Playstation (it's all in the games) and the margin on TVs was fast dropping from around 28% to below half that.

D

Deleted member 201267

It's crackers. Accessories and 'tweaks' costing much more than the device they are going to be used with.

It's incredible how much people will pay for a nicely packaged accessory, with the addition of some very vague technobabble marketing on the back of it.
20k for speaker cable ???

That would buy an excellent complete system...

Reactions: Gray

podknocker

Even though my TQ Ultra Blue was expensive, it's blue and it does match my TV/video unit!

The ribbon like construction is great for tucking away, along the carpet and skirting boards.

It's also made very well and I really wanted factory terminated leads with decent build quality.

I would recommend their products, but if I was starting again, I wouldn't spend nearly as much.

D

Deleted member 201267

Even though my TQ Ultra Blue was expensive, it's blue and it does match my TV/video unit!

The ribbon like construction is great for tucking away, along the carpet and skirting boards.

It's also made very well and I really wanted factory terminated leads with decent build quality.

I would recommend their products, but if I was starting again, I wouldn't spend nearly as much.
Bearing in mind the profit made / margin comment in post #35 regarding cables i wonder what the actual manufacturing cost is for the TQ Ultra Blue cable ?

podknocker

Bearing in mind the profit made / margin comment in post #35 regarding cables i wonder what the actual manufacturing cost is for the TQ Ultra Blue cable ?
I reckon they could make and sell them for £50 and make a fair profit. They were expensive.

My 2 times 2m terminated cost about £150 and I won't be looking at any new ones after these.

Many cheaper products are very rigid and tricky to route and I've tripped over these things before.

Anything you can push into the corners and avoid breaking your neck, is a good thing in my book!

They still sell the Mk1 variety.

Last edited:

rainsoothe

Well from a pure manufacturing point of view there very much is different grades of copper, so that statement isn't entirely accurate.
It's not that this statement isn't entirely accurate, it's dead wrong. If you hear a difference, BE IT PLACEBO OR NOT, it's still a difference. Also, at least for amplifiers that NEED a particular type of speaker cable (namely untwisted, for low capacitance + high inductance) to not blow up, like Naims of old, or NVA and others, you will hear the difference between a working amp and a burned up one. (in before "we're talking about properly designed amplifiers here" - they ARE properly designed, it's the design of choice, it's the sound their fans like, dealwithit haters :) )

And last but not least, don't tell people what they're going or not going to hear. Thats why they're experiencing life through their own senses.

Btw, I'd be willing to take the blind test anyday, if it's my system, my music and 2 specific speaker cables that I'm familiar with. But ofc course noone woulde believe a video or something, people would insist of being there - ironically, instead of being told "you WILL hear a difference".

Gray

I'd be willing to take the blind test anyday, if it's my system, my music and 2 specific speaker cables that I'm familiar with.
That's the first time I've ever seen anyone state that.
Good for you 👍

(Hope you live near Essex, as there are 2 of us that would like to witness the event. We could assist in the cable swapping - we'll promise not to bring any joined-up wire coat hangers 🙂).

Reactions: WayneKerr

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
It's not that this statement isn't entirely accurate, it's dead wrong. If you hear a difference, BE IT PLACEBO OR NOT, it's still a difference. Also, at least for amplifiers that NEED a particular type of speaker cable (namely untwisted, for low capacitance + high inductance) to not blow up, like Naims of old, or NVA and others, you will hear the difference between a working amp and a burned up one. (in before "we're talking about properly designed amplifiers here" - they ARE properly designed, it's the design of choice, it's the sound their fans like, dealwithit haters :) )

And last but not least, don't tell people what they're going or not going to hear. Thats why they're experiencing life through their own senses.

Btw, I'd be willing to take the blind test anyday, if it's my system, my music and 2 specific speaker cables that I'm familiar with. But ofc course noone woulde believe a video or something, people would insist of being there - ironically, instead of being told "you WILL hear a difference".
Mine or there? I can’t actually tell if you’re making a statement or putting in my place or what tbh.

I never said any of that and I never said people couldn’t hear a difference and mentioned nothing of blind testing. I said if people can hear a difference that’s different thing.

I mentioned and I say it again in bold.
NOT ALL COPPER IS THE SAME FROM A MANUFACTURING POINT OF VIEW there are very much different grades wether you can hear that, thats different story. Some can some can’t . And I’m paraphrasing.

Good for you that you can.

My problem is the person I was responding too has spent 200 quid on 4 meters of cable (guessing as that’s the average length) and insists there’s no differences between cables. For a person that believes all cables sound the same and is giving advice to buy any odd cable, and buys an ultra version of that said cable it just kind of made me chuckle. Do you not see the problem there? Do you not see the contradiction?

that’s all I’m saying on the subject it’s boring

podknocker

I've bought expensive speaker leads for reasons I've explained numerous times on this forum and they have nothing to do with sound quality.

I still insist all copper in all the leads you can buy for a HIFI setup, will behave the same and will not have any influence on the sound.

I agree people believe they hear a difference and good luck to them, but this cannot be the copper in their chosen product.

All the thousands of people, over decades and various forums and there is still no actual proof of any of these products making a difference to sound quality.

If there was a change, it could be explained using science and experimentation and a scientific consensus could be reached. Then, any product's sound signature could be predicted and explained.

This still hasn't happened on all the forums and for thousands of consumers, over years and years.

Until a bit of copper in a plastic coating can be proven to affect sound quality, I will remain sceptical.

tones

May 11, 2023
Visit site
Well from a pure manufacturing point of view there very much is different grades of copper, so that statement isn't entirely accurate.
The most normally encountered copper is everyday electrical copper, which is 99.95% Cu. To say that anything purer (if realistically achievable) would sound different is pure delusion. However, I am happy for people to hear what they want to hear, so long as I'm not also expected to hear it.

matthewpianist

I've bought expensive speaker leads for reasons I've explained numerous times on this forum and they have nothing to do with sound quality.

I still insist all copper in all the leads you can buy for a HIFI setup, will behave the same and will not have any influence on the sound.

I agree people believe they hear a difference and good luck to them, but this cannot be the copper in their chosen product.

All the thousands of people, over decades and various forums and there is still no actual proof of any of these products making a difference to sound quality.

If there was a change, it could be explained using science and experimentation and a scientific consensus could be reached. Then, any product's sound signature could be predicted and explained.

This still hasn't happened on all the forums and for thousands of consumers, over years and years.

Until a bit of copper in a plastic coating can be proven to affect sound quality, I will remain sceptical.

Having tried Chord Company (several grades), Merlin, VdH, Atlas, Van Damme, and QED (several grades), I completely agree. I just don't care anymore.

D

Deleted member 201267

Having tried Chord Company (several grades), Merlin, VdH, Atlas, Van Damme, and QED (several grades), I completely agree. I just don't care anymore.
My cable "opinions" are based on a test i conducted years ago...

A dear friend / ex work colleague kindly lent me a 1M Kimber Timbre interconnect and a 2.5M pair set of Kimber 8TC speaker cable to test in my then system. The total cost of these cables, in the lengths supplied, cost almost as much as the CD Player and Amplifier they were connected to !

The "test" conducted was not a blind one as i never used such a test when auditioning my other kit in the past. I simply played a few favourite albums that i know well to judge any differences.

After about a week of listening i concluded there was no difference, to my ears at least, when compared to the supplied interconnect (with the CD Player) and the QED 79 strand i had been previously been using.

Would different cables from the likes of Nordost etc actually sound different ?

As stated above in post #49 i too don't care anymore either...

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts