Audiophile compact speakers for Reggae / Dub?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Mr Beachams

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
:dance: I like a bit of Dub.... :dance: Try looking at Wimslow Audio and bag ya self some Morel drivers then get my brother-in-law to build you some beauties made from some exotic timber...... 4K would sort ya speakers and would match the likes of 10K mass produced stuff

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
rootsrider said:
CnoEvil said:
Sorry, one more question....what size is your room?

Bear in mind, imo the more expensive the speakers you get, the more expensive the amp may have to be, to do them justice.

Rather than split your budget into amp and speakers....can we just say that you have £7K - £15K for both?

yes, new amp plus speakers for ca. 7-15k.well with the room size its quite tricky,i wrote 12-20sqm due to the fact that i change my place of living about once per year . In this reason,i mentioned to get some speakers with more flexible room positions.

With that kind of money you can buy very nice stuff, like MA PL100, B&W PM1 (front ported) , Dynaudio Confidence C1 ...

But do you really want to spend so mutch in one system that you will be moving each year?

And you'll have so many different rooms to adapt the system too.

Nomally when you buy with that budget, is a system that take some time to think of and is to put in a specific room, not to be moved again...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Here are my suggestions to throw into the pot....certain amp/speaker combinations will work better than others:

AMPS

- Sugden IA-4; LA-4 / SPA-4 or 2xMPA-4s

- Musical Fidelity M6i; M6500i; AMS 35i

- Plinius SA-103

- Audio Analogue Maestro Settanta Rev.2

- Classe CA-2300

- Audio Note - you would have to find a dealer, as I don't know prices.

- Mc Intosh MA 6600

- Electrocompaniet ECI-5 Mk1; Pre/Power (chose according to budget)

SPEAKERS

- Kef 201/2; possibly 203/2

- Dynaudio Confidence C1; Contour S 1.4

- Spendor ST (possibly)

- Audio Note AN-K; AN-J; AN-E

- Proac Response D2

- Sonus Faber (as mentioned above)

Ps. An all Audio Note system is well worth hearing, if you can find a dealer....their speakers are designed to work in corners and against the wall.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
Wot? No Luxman or Accuphase?

If I were to spend that much money i'd want backlit meters and lights :) (McIntosh has meters but is too gothic and HM looking.)

There is now, and always should have been....Amen!

Only excuse....I ran out of time, as had to go for Physio.

Hope the OP will get other great suggestions.

Edit. Perreaux, Lavardin and Ayre should also be on the list of brands.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
You want bass, & good bass as that.. Sonus faber cremona's floor standing speakers. I know cause i got a pair myself. These speakers have got a rich warm yet very open sound. Hope that helps. Also they are not very fusy about amps, as far as the amp is not too warm.

All the best.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
You want bass, & good bass as that.. Sonus faber cremona's floor standing speakers. I know cause i got a pair myself. These speakers have got a rich warm yet very open sound. Hope that helps. Also they are not very fusy about amps, as far as the amp is not too warm.

All the best.

The brief was - Standmounts or compact Floorstanders.....but how compact is hard to know, as his room changes yearly.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:

All the best.

The brief was - Standmounts or compact Floorstanders.....but how compact is hard to know, as his room changes yearly.

OK MISSED THAT BIT... since has interest in actives. PMC IB1S-A active speakers or if size is a problem would suggest PMC two 6 active speakers.

rootsrider

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh biggest thanks for all your suggestions!!!
Well I am an amateur in audiophile music but I am annoyed with my current small Harman Kardon GLA-55 desktop speakers. I started reading more … it’s true that such amount of money should be well invested and I got even “scared” reading the reviews about the most expensive suggestion, the: Dynaudio C1!!
Such audiophile C1 would be not suitable IMHO. I have lots of music in crap & good & audiophile quality on LPs & CDs & mp3s and I do not want to avoid playing some less quality CDs/ MP3s .. So I should save some bugs and instead of investing in too expensive speakers in some better quality music :D

Below a short list of speakers suggested and I am going to research deeper / and demo in a later stage…:

- Tannoy DC8
- B&W PM1
- KEF Reference 201/2
- Dynaudio Focus 160
- Harbeth M30
- ProAc Response D2
- Sonus Faber Cremona - Auditor M

Which speakers are out:
- spendor-sp100r2 (too big in size; well but very astonishing!! And would be even possible to play my lower quality music as I read …)
- Monitor Audio PL100 (lack of dynamics & bass)
- tannoy-dc10 (too big in size)
- Totem mani-2-signature (more suitable for big rooms)
- ADM40 / ADM9 (not my taste)

Any other ideas of compact speakers for Reggae / Dub appreciated
Marco

rootsrider

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Native_bon said:
OK MISSED THAT BIT... since has interest in actives. PMC IB1S-A active speakers or if size is a problem would suggest PMC two 6 active speakers.

Well I was particularly interested in the PMC Two 6 too!! For my problem of travelling, and different room sizes, those light weighted & flexible-room & very robust active speakers have their big advantage!
However, i must see how far such audiophile active speakers like PMC two 6 sound for my kind of music. I haven't found any review to those PMC two 6 yet ... anything found in web?

T

the record spot

Have you thought about some of the bigger Genelec actives? I heard a few models and the bass was very nice, deep, well controlled and the great thing is, they're hype free. Just my personal taste with actives these days.

As for passive, you've probably not even considered them, but I'll throw them in anyway - Q Acoustics 2050i. Huge speaker, but not without some refinement for their size. Very well reviewed and under £600 a pair. I think QA are a cracking company and they turn out some great stuff; the 2050i would be on the money for dub IMO.

Partner the 2050i with some beefy amps that can drive them well (think 150wpc and up - if you can lay hands on a Harman Kardon HK990 or an AVI Lab Series amp (150/250wpc respectively) you'll be onto something worth laying a Handsworth Revolution or some Dennis Bovell on!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
the record spot said:
Partner the 2050i with some beefy amps that can drive them well (think 150wpc and up - if you can lay hands on a Harman Kardon HK990 or an AVI Lab Series amp (150/250wpc respectively) you'll be onto something worth laying a Handsworth Revolution or some Dennis Bovell on!

This is a good point.

The OP needs to see if spending the extra is worth it, especially after hearing a well put together cheaper system.....this is such an individual decision, that none of us will have the answer.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
rootsrider said:
CnoEvil said:
What budget have you alocated for the amp, and are you getting it at the same time?.......for matching purposes, the 2 items should be seen one, if you see what I mean.

What is your source?

Understand ...
For the amp i'd like to invest another 2-5k. My sources will be laptop, turntable and CD player

What is your CDP and TT?

As you spend progressively more on amp and speakers, it will highlight any weaknesses here. If they are not up to scratch, some of your budget should be spent putting it right....on the digital end, possibly look at a Streamer.

With regard to some of the amp speaker pairings, possibly look at:

Sugden / Proac

Classe or Audio Analogue / Sonus Faber

MF M6i / Dynaudio

McIntosh / Harbeth

Plinius / Spendor

Anyway, keep us up to date with how things go.

Cno

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gregvet said:
Im not sure if they are the best speakers for the music listened to by the OP, but how about Kef Reference 201/2's, as they arent too big, and they have boundary correction to allow easier placement (plus they are top ported so can go closer to the wall). They are considered by stereophile to be some of the best stand mounters available I believe.

Yup, and with a big McIntosh amp like the MA6600, should get the sound he's looking for....there are of course other great options, which I'll give when I've a little more time.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. You need to see the speakers and amp as a matched pair......chose the right pairing, and your poorer recordings will not be "out of bounds".

I have the Musical Fidelity AMS 35i with Kef Ref 205/2, and there is nothing that I avoid. As Gregvet mentioned, the 201/2s can be tailored to suit the room, and with careful choice of amplification* should give you what your looking for.

*Musical Fidelity AMS 35i

- Sugden LA-4 / SPA-4

- Plinius M8 / SA-103

- McIntosh MA-6600

- Electrocomaniet EC 4.7 / AW 2x120

The Sonus Faber would be my second choice, and as a warmer speaker, should match well with most....but it's a matter of trying it out.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Shahinian Arc... Deep bass, sweet top end, great separation and quite small in comparison to other floorstanders. Sme say they are best for classical but I know they can do so much more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts