Audiophile compact speakers for Reggae / Dub?

rootsrider

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello partisans,

I am new in the forum searching for some new audiophile speakers for my music, mainly Reggae / Dub, African vibes and sometimes World music. I’d like to get some ideas which brands / models to check out.

So some other criterias:
-full range speakers; if possible compact (but also “small” floorstanders of interest)
- price (pair) around 5-10k GBP
- wide sweet spot & warm sound covering a wide frequency spectrum (particularly in the bass :eek:)
- room size 12-20sqm; preferable, speaker which is quite flexible in different room positions and possible to place near the wall

That’s it !

Thanks a bunch and looking forward to start test listening around London ;)

marco

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Not Harbeths!

Says he as a Harbeth user. Not wll suited to your type of music, particularly in the bass - bit warm / loose for you I would have thought. They are achingly good at what they do well; suspect Alan Shaw (owner / designer, great guy) doesn't have an extensive Dub collection (go on prove me wrong!)

I have to say if you're looking for compacts I'd consider the subwoofer route.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What is the rest of your system.....as your amp will have a big bearing on the sound you will get, and what speakers you can drive.

Off the top of my head, I would possibly be looking at Sonus Faber (Cremona range or Homage Guarneri Memento)

rootsrider

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh thxs for so fast replies! No,i ve even no amp yet.iuse just active speakers but i want to change now getting more warm & massive sound with new passive speakers and a new amp.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
rootsrider said:
Oh thxs for so fast replies! No,i ve even no amp yet.iuse just active speakers but i want to change now getting more warm & massive sound with new passive speakers and a new amp.

What budget have you alocated for the amp, and are you getting it at the same time?.......for matching purposes, the 2 items should be seen one, if you see what I mean.

What is your source?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
You're obviously open to Actives, putting that sort of money into amp + speakers is not what I'd be doing.

The AVI ADM9RSS + sub might be all you ever need.

Bartletts in London will demo a previous model of the AVIs, and if you like them the RSS will blow you away.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
You're obviously open to Actives, putting that sort of money into amp + speakers is not what I'd be doing.

Bartletts in London will demo a previous model of the AVIs, and if you like them the RSS will blow you away.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site

rootsrider

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
What budget have you alocated for the amp, and are you getting it at the same time?.......for matching purposes, the 2 items should be seen one, if you see what I mean.

What is your source?

Understand ...
For the amp i'd like to invest another 2-5k. My sources will be laptop, turntable and CD player

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
rootsrider said:
CnoEvil said:

What is your source?

Understand ...
For the amp i'd like to invest another 2-5k. My sources will be laptop, turntable and CD player

Sorry, one more question....what size is your room?

Bear in mind, imo the more expensive the speakers you get, the more expensive the amp may have to be, to do them justice.

Rather than split your budget into amp and speakers....can we just say that you have £7K - £15K for both?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
A pair of Totem Mani - 2 signatures should do the trick

http://totemacoustic.com/en/hi-fi/compact/mani-2-signature/

http://totemacoustic.com/en/hi-fi/compact/mani-2-signature/specifications/

They were probably designed with your taste in music and your requirements in mind :grin: :dance:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
rootsrider said:
CnoEvil said:

What is your source?

Understand ...

Bear in mind, imo the more expensive the speakers you get, the more expensive the amp may have to be, to do them justice.

Rather than split your budget into amp and speakers....can we just say that you have £7K - £15K for both?

Cno the room size is in the first post... 12-20 sqm... Ai ai ai where did i put my reeding glasses... :rofl:

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
The way i read it is a room with 12 to 20 sqm, but you right, 8 spm is lot of space to fill in...

Yup.

An understanding of the space is crucial in sizing the speakers.

Very true but the OP has asked for compact speakers or maybe small floorstanders so it limits the choice somewhat :)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
rootsrider said:
Hello partisans, I am new in the forum searching for some new audiophile speakers for my music, mainly Reggae / Dub, African vibes and sometimes World music. I’d like to get some ideas which brands / models to check out. So some other criterias: -full range speakers; if possible compact (but also “small” floorstanders of interest) - price (pair) around 5-10k GBP - wide sweet spot & warm sound covering a wide frequency spectrum (particularly in the bass :eek:) - room size 12-20sqm; preferable, speaker which is quite flexible in different room positions and possible to place near the wall That’s it ! Thanks a bunch and looking forward to start test listening around London ;) marco

I'd have suggested the ADMs, either ADM9s with sub, or the ADM40's, but it looks like you might want to go the separate route for a change. That said, there are some nice actives around at your budget and quite a bit below, that would perhaps still fit in in an aesthetical way. The PMC and ATC ranges look very competent, both passive and active.

Whatever, they are just suggestions and only you will be able to determine what sounds right at a demo, preferably in your own listening environment.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Electro said:
Very true but the OP has asked for compact speakers or maybe small floorstanders so it limits the choice somewhat :)

....Not all Standmounts and Compact Floorstanders are created equal. ;)

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Im not sure if they are the best speakers for the music listened to by the OP, but how about Kef Reference 201/2's, as they arent too big, and they have boundary correction to allow easier placement (plus they are top ported so can go closer to the wall). They are considered by stereophile to be some of the best stand mounters available I believe.

rootsrider

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

yes, new amp plus speakers for ca. 7-15k.well with the room size its quite tricky,i wrote 12-20sqm due to the fact that i change my place of living about once per year . In this reason,i mentioned to get some speakers with more flexible room positions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts