Audiolab Qdac/Mdac power query

joe15hifi

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I wondered if anyone has any comments/additional knowledge?

Is there any likelihood that switching on/off any other hifi component (but NOT the amp to which the DAC is connected when both are powered up, and DAC is in use (i.e. is configured for -) either as headphone amp or as a preamp) could cause a DAC to fail?

I am a bit concerned as several components of my kit (amp, DAC, CD transport, turntable) would all have to be powered from one ( filtered mains supply) extension. Should I power off the DAC (and therefore shutdown amp as well) before powering on/off my (Rega) turntable? (As has been reported elsewhere, both MDac and QDac run warm in use, which to me suggests possible sensitivity to additional power demands from the same 240VAC supply? ) Comments appreciated.

Marantz PM8003, DAC under consideration, Rega Planar 3, Cambridge CD transport, Chord interconnects and cables

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
as long as you do not exceed the recommended total wattage that your "filtered extension" can handle then I don't think you will have any problems with switching on/off any components while others are on, I'm guessing that your extension has some sort of anti-surge protection built in as well.

as to your comments re the MDac and QDac running warm in use, I think this is down to the smaller size of these components (about half the size of standard hifi equipment), therefore as long as there is plenty of ventilation given to them then again I don't see any problems.

hope this helps.

*music2*

TRENDING THREADS