Audiolab 8200cdq connection to Xpower/psx-r using xlr-to-phono

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Morning All,

So I'm finally happy with the sound of my system (let's see how long that lasts!) and the final niggle is this hiss in the background that is only just about audible when playing very low volumes. I'm connecting my 8200cdq to my xpower via VDH d102 III which I'm very please with tone wise.

Ive read that the xlr outputs sidestep this hiss - I would be running over a short .75m so no other benefits re long distance runs.

From my understanding, this hiss is removed via xlr due to the setup on the cdq side and not the cable itself per se.

So (finally) to my question. As the xpower does not have xlr inputs, would my system benefit from using a cable with xlr connections at one end and phono at the other? obviously it won't be balanced etc. but would this remove the hiss?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Martyn

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
I see no reason how it could remove the hiss. Any benefit of XLRs are removed and you are just adding more complexity within the 8200 with no benefit. Cyrus recommend not using XLRs with their kit unless for very long runs. That said there is nothing wrong with borrowing some cable from your local store and trying it.

TRENDING THREADS