audiolab 8000a with mission 751

I'm kind of new in the audio game. I recently installed my first proper set up: an Audiolab 8000a with Mission 751's. I play music through spotify premium (yes, I know) with a V-dac II connected to my Macbook. I mostly listen to alternative pop/rock.
I found the whole set up to be overly bright and after a short while of listening very fatiguing and even causing slight headache. Now I'm looking to replace one link in about the same price class to reach a warmer sound, I'd say my budget is around $400 and I mostly buy second hand. I do prefer a set up that doesn't color the music to much and is very detailed. That's why I settled on this set up in the first place, but it ended up being way to bright for comfortable listening.
I could replace the audiolab 8000a with for example a Nad c350
I could replace the Mission's for something warmer like a Dynaudio 40.
Or I could replace the V-dac II for example an Arcam Irdac, but I guess that will make the least difference.
Which peace of gear would you recommend keeping and which one would you recommend replacing? And with what? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
The Mission 751s do have a reputation for being harsh, so yes I would change them. 

The 751 Are legendary!...... You need to read up on them.

The 75 series are even considered Missions finest speakers.

Audiolab in my experience have a suspect reputation regards build quality but the quality of the source imo needs to be ruled out in the link before any other consideration or a penny is spent.

Thank you for the reply's. A lot of different opinions.

I did do a lot research before deciding on this set. I believe both the mission's and the audiolab are described by some as bright and clinical, by some as neutral en extremely detailed and as a legendary combination. I guess it depends on room acoustics as well, something I do not have the luxury of changing. In my case unfortunately they ended up on the bright spectrum.

I just listened to radiohead's new album on the set in 24bit wav format. First song or so was great after which my ears started bleeding (don't worry, not literally). Listened to my headphones, sennheiser HD 280 (served me well in field recording for movies and I love there neutral quality) on my computer and loved the album. Sound was way more laidback. Plugged my headphones in my amp and although more detailed and punchy, still very bright imo and not comfortable listening at all. Quickly plugged back in to my macbook.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts