Audiolab 8000a Series 1 upgrade options

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi WH forum,

I'm looking to get some opinions / advice on a sensible upgrade path for my Dad.

He's owned an original 8000a new since the mid-80's, originally through a set of HB1's (since given to me). He then purchased a pair of Mordaunt-Short MS908's about 15 years ago which were budget-buys from Richer Sounds at the time. He's now determined to upgrade to a set of PMC floorstanders and was wondering whether the the Audiolab would be a) a good match & b) capable of getting the best out of a set of PMCs.

Knowing my Dad he'd spend silly money on what he thinks reflects a sensible buy, but he's not really up to scratch with understanding system matching or value for money - although I've suggested he tries to spend time auditioning stuff. I think he'd be best suited with something that offers a fairly clinical level of detail and not a necessarily laid-back sound. He's also using a P3 / RB300 / Elys & Jupiter CDP as sources.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The 8000a wad s well regarded amp it'll drive the smaller PMC's no problem - GB1'S would work fine.

Still fairly expensive used at £500+ but worth browsing for if new is not a requirement.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
If your dad still likes the 8000A I'd be looking at adding an 8000P and use it to drive the low's and the 8000A for the high's. Made a big difference to my set up and didn't break the bank either

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. This could be an option, although I'd say it'd be worth sending the 8000a away for a re-cap / upgrade and stick with it as an integrated as opposed modifying it to accept an 8000p (don't think there's a pre-out already on it, but would need to check).

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Alex Baker said:
Thanks. This could be an option, although I'd say it'd be worth sending the 8000a away for a re-cap / upgrade and stick with it as an integrated as opposed modifying it to accept an 8000p (don't think there's a pre-out already on it, but would need to check).

i would hazard a guess that there is. Mines a very early grey case one and that has. Definitely worth checking out

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts