Audilab 8200

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
HAve a chance to demo some Audiolab 8200 cd/amps next week what would a good stand mount speaker be, maybe Kef R100?

Also they stock Musical Fidelity, any speakers to hear with their similar priced gear? Around £400-£600.

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi Big H,What exactly are you looking for within the audiolab range? Amplifier,or CD player? What other kit do you have, etc, etc!

You ask about Kef speakers. And mention Musical fidelity. Which Musical fidelity? What is it you are trying to acheive?

I think you need to expand a little with all due respects.

Just as an after thought, speakers in the price range you mention, will not do justice to any of the gear you speak about.

Cheers:?

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Off to work now! London theater beckons.

If you are seriously interested in quality kit?

Back late friday.

More than happy to give my advice mate:quest:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Im looking to change my 20 years old system, so looking at Audiolab 8200 cd and 8200 amp, so £600 speakers are no good? I will be hearing a Rega system but that will be at my local hifi dealer, just going to this town as my wife has an appointment, thought I would use the time to hear some systems. If you can suggest some other systems for around £2,000. Speakers must be fairly small be able to sit about 1 foot from the wall and be fairly sensitive to work well at fairly low volumes. Not familar with Musical Fidelity but think they have some cd and amps at around £700 each, no reviews on Whathifi for Audiolab or Musical Fidelity amps? They also stock Arcam and Cyrus. Speakers they stock B&W, Kef, MA, Dynaudio, Focal.

I will probably only have about 1 hour so can't hear very many.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Just before Christmas I auditioned the Brio-R, Cyrus 6 & Audiolab 8200a with Monitor Audio RX6 and B&W 684 speakers. I very quickly dismissed the 684's, they weren't articulate enough for me and the bass a bit too flabby. All CD's were played through a Marantz player, but decoded by my Rega DAC. The Brio-R came last of the 3 for my taste, not enough detail and excitement. The Cyrus 6 next, but perhaps the opposite of the Brio-R, too articulate and not enough bass - not an all-rounder. The 8200a really impressed me for it's price, the treble was smooth but detailed with good bass, albeit it could do with a little tighter bass. To my ears, MA RX6's worked well with the Audiolab, but they're going to be over your budget. The MA RX2's might be worth a listen, standmounters within your budget.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
pete321 said:
Just before Christmas I auditioned the Brio-R, Cyrus 6 & Audiolab 8200a with Monitor Audio RX6 and B&W 684 speakers. I very quickly dismissed the 684's, they weren't articulate enough for me and the bass a bit too flabby. All CD's were played through a Marantz player, but decoded by my Rega DAC. The Brio-R came last of the 3 for my taste, not enough detail and excitement. The Cyrus 6 next, but perhaps the opposite of the Brio-R, too articulate and not enough bass - not an all-rounder. The 8200a really impressed me for it's price, the treble was smooth but detailed with good bass, albeit it could do with a little tighter bass. To my ears, MA RX6's worked well with the Audiolab, but they're going to be over your budget. The MA RX2's might be worth a listen, standmounters within your budget.

Thanks. As I say floorstanders are out. I may try a Marantz 6004cd player and Audiolab 8200 with a DAC. Yes I heard many people say that about Cyrus. The MA RX2s look about right.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I've heard the 8200a twice now, both times I found the high frequencies quite smooth which is different to what the WHF reviewer found.

You'll obviously need to judge for yourself, but if you agree, then an open sounding speaker like MA will suit well. From the size issue, I can't imagine the RX2's on stands will have a smaller footprint than the RX6's, they're not particularly huge. You'll benefit from better bass and keep a lot of the speed of their smaller stand mounter relation.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a home demo of the 8200A and the 8200Q/8200MB with my ATC SCM7's a couple of years back, even the 8200A did very well with the considering and more than enough unless you really wanted to rock, the the 8200MB's came into their own.

They would be my choice for a demo :)

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Hifi Choice loved it and gave it 5 stars. They said the amp is mellow sounding, which is completely the opposite of Whathifi's review.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts