ATC SMC 11V2 two questions

Jorge

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
The first.- it is true that they need a very powerful amplification to work well.
The second.- it is true that a high volume is necessary for them to sound good.

Reactions: MUSICRAFT
Both are true if you believe everything you read on Internet forums. What is generally true, ime, is that less sensitive speakers can seem less clear at lower volumes. That’s at least partly explained where ATCs are concerned because they don’t have any deliberate hump or dip in their response. A speaker with a sharp, rising top end, or a lumpy bass, will sound great when turned down - remember loudness controls?

ATCs Entry series are all sealed boxes - infinite baffle - whereas many competitors use ported enclosures that play louder with more obvious bass. So a decently powerful amp is advised. It’s no surprise that ATCs least powerful amplifier is 100 watts per channel.

You really need to hear some because if you appreciate their clarity and precision you’ll love them. Have you ever heard any?

matthewpiano

In this respects the small ATCs are not much different to the Spendor A1s that I have previously had. The Spendors have pretty much ruler flat response and sound wonderful when powered by an amp with a strong power supply and at higher volumes. At lower volume levels they struggle to be involving and don't sound so good.

For some people's needs they will be a great buy, but you really need to hear them at the volume levels you typically play your music at and with the amplifier you intend to pair them with. Small infinite baffle speakers don't fulfil my needs, whereas the KEF LS50 Meta do. It could just as easily be the opposite way round for you.

gasolin

Atc recommeds atleast a 75watt amp, with my experience a small amp can be okay if it's good, but for the sound to be dynamic, clear without any sharpness because you playing close to the amps limit and the sound is getting more agressive, more listening fattgue, it's better to have a little ekstra like Rega Elicit-R, Cambridge audio cxa-81, Nad C368, Yamaha A-S701 compared to a rega io,cambridge audio cxa 61,Nad c338 Yamaha A-301

D

Deleted member 116933

The first.- it is true that they need a very powerful amplification to work well.

I really don't like ATC i personally find them boring BUT that's by design. think of them as a RAW photograph they have no grading or contrast applied they are a tool TBH. And if you really like that then that's fine.

Nopiano is correct don't believe everything that is thrown around. and both your points are kind of correct.

It's not that they play better louder its that they need a healthy turn on the volume knob to get the drivers moving, in turn, meaning you need a healthy reserve of power on tap, so wattage. They will certainly give an amplifier a hard life.

They are certainly not low volume listening speakers the same way for example revel are/is.

If it were me you need to go and listen to them and compare them to more lively designs. Infinite baffle inclosures don't need to be this hard to drive and don't need to be as overbuilt, though out of budget look at the klipsch heresy 1 2 and 3 all sealed and all much more lively.

gasolin

I really don't like ATC i personally find them boring BUT that's by design. think of them as a RAW photograph they have no grading or contrast applied they are a tool TBH. And if you really like that then that's fine.

Nopiano is correct don't believe everything that is thrown around. and both your points are kind of correct.

It's not that they play better louder its that they need a healthy turn on the volume knob to get the drivers moving, in turn, meaning you need a healthy reserve of power on tap, so wattage. They will certainly give an amplifier a hard life.

They are certainly not low volume listening speakers the same way for example revel are/is.

If it were me you need to go and listen to them and compare them to more lively designs. Infinite baffle inclosures don't need to be this hard to drive and don't need to be as overbuilt, though out of budget look at the klipsch heresy 1 2 and 3 all sealed and all much more lively.

Nad amp ?

D

Deleted member 116933

Nad amp ?

Are you asking me?

If I went NAD, I'd go pre and power using the C275 with the matching pre or grab one of there THX monster amps form back in the day
to really take them by the horns, they would give all the control you'd need for the ATC's

I really don't like ATC i personally find them boring BUT that's by design. think of them as a RAW photograph they have no grading or contrast applied they are a tool TBH. And if you really like that then that's fine

ATC Transducer designs and builds monitors. They are flat and honest which reproduce music and movie soundtracks in an uncoloured and natural manner.

ATC monitors impress by not trying to impress. Simple. :)

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site

i can answer your first question.
It is true .

I auditioned a number of speakers in hifix coventry with my old MF amp. At 40w per channel my amp was struggling.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I think if you like what you hear in regard to ATC SCM11v2 then whether you can listen to them at lower levels may become not so important priority (unless you have very sensitive neighbours...).

Jorge

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
Perhaps I should have said, as long as it’s one of Denon’s rather nice Hifi amps and not an old AV receiver?!

My amplifier is a Denon PMA 920 stereo with 30 years old and a power of 105 W at 8 Ohms and 180 W at 4 Ohms weighing 11 kg, non-AV only stereo.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
From online reviews of ATC speakers it is clear to me that there are some amps out there which may have output of 100 or even more watts into 8ohms compared to another amp driving the same ATC speakers with output of 80watts into 8ohms , and for some reason its the latter amp which drives the speakers a lot better than the former amp; so it implies to me that there is more than just simple Power Output having effect on the driving capabilities of an amp?

Jorge

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
Finally I bought the ATC SMC V2 I have not yet tested them with my Denon PMA 920 to be careful to choose the right feet and I have them temporarily at my brother's house connected to an old Grundig M 100 R amplifier that at 8 ohms gives 60 w only and I must say that it moves them perfectly, using only a quarter of the total volume of the amplifier, to obtain an adequate volume for a room of 21 square meters, apparently the speakers do not need as much power as they say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts