Atc scm 11 or pmc fb1+ any help?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I want to buy one of those speakers but I dont know which one will be good

My amp is roksan kandy , rdac arcam .

My room is 18m2 wih open kitchen on the right side .

Hifi system is on the longer wall. So my sweet spot is arround 40cm from back wall

Music thats i listen to is Rock , jazz, a lot of vocal music.

Any help ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The only way you will know for sure is to listen for yourself.

For my taste the Kandy + the ATCs would be too bright and forward....I would prefer the PMC, or even better Proac, Spendor or Sonus Faber.....but that's the thing about taste, mine doesn't really matter (to you). :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
You're talking about two very different animals. Contrary to Cno, the Kandy ( if it's the K2) should be warm enough to deal with ATCs.

With a Kandy, however, I'd look at PMC GB1s rather than FBs, otherwise as Cno has suggested.

Nicely making my point about subjective opinion on what goes well together. ;)

A

Anonymous

I had monitor audio rx8 and they were to bright , i just sold dynaudio focus 220 they had to much bass .

And i have Roksan kandy 2. I like good bass but not to much , i love deep soundstage not wide.

I live in dublin and the audio shops are not random here , i have only Cloney audio there is System audio speakers and B&W so iam not intrestem about them

I can have good price for used pcm fb1+ 770£ and atc new one for 830 £ but iam affraid of bass in atc is only 58hz :(

thanks for help

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
ATC can be perceived by some as quite a clinical sounding speaker. I have owned the bigger ATC scm19 and just couldn't live with them, they just sounded too harsh. The Kandy and PMC's are a good combination though, my previous amp was the K2 partnered with the PMC GB1i's.

Hope this helps.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
You're talking about two very different animals. Contrary to Cno, the Kandy ( if it's the K2) should be warm enough to deal with ATCs.

With a Kandy, however, I'd look at PMC GB1s rather than FBs, otherwise as Cno has suggested.

Nicely making my point about subjective opinion on what goes well together. ;)

Absolutely: When I heard the K2 and ATCs at 'The Towers' they didn't come across as bright. I think the bigger issue hear is whether the OP plays his music low-medium levels or requires to shake the walls. If it's the latter ATC should be just the ticket, otherwise PMC or Dynaudios (the latter of the two is an afterthought*).

* The Dyns need at least two to three foot gap from the wall.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Absolutely: When I heard the K2 and ATCs at 'The Towers' they didn't come across as bright. I think the bigger issue hear is whether the OP plays his music low-medium levels or requires to shake the walls. If it's the latter ATC should be just the ticket, otherwise PMC or Dynaudios (the latter of the two is an afterthought*).

That could explain a lot, as I believe the WHF rooms are acoustically damped.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Having owned Dynaudio, PMC, and ATC, I feel like I can weigh in here. The OPs concerns about the ATC SCM11s being bass light are legit. They are great speakers, but they need a sub for my taste. I would go with the PMCs hands down. I think they are exactly what the OP is looking for. More bass than the ATCs, but not as much as the Dyns. Also, the bass is less full than with Dyns. The ATCs will be too bass light.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

That's true, but apart from a leather sofa there's no other soft furnishings. So although the walls are damped - different bits of kit going down one side of the wall - the room could be echoey.

A

Anonymous

oki so pmc fb1+ will be better

they have more bass then atc 11 yes but not to more then dynaudio focus 220

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

That's true, but apart from a leather sofa there's no other soft furnishings. So although the walls are damped - different bits of kit going down one side of the wall - the room could be echoey.

If the Walls were damped, the kit along the side wouldn't make it echoey, but maybe even help break up the sound...but you were there, and I'm only guessing. :)

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

If the Walls were damped, the kit along the side wouldn't make it echoey, but maybe even help break up the sound...but you were there, and I'm only guessing. :)

The kit on the side wall wouldn't make it echoey. The room is larger than the average living room, and with the sofa, it was still quite sparse.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
As I understand it the listening room is acoustically treated, so the lack of furniture is irrelevant. I'm sure the powers that be could tell us definitively.

I disagree with some of the comments re the 11s: true they don't go as low as a speaker with a port or transmission line, which go artifically low. But I never felt I was missing out on bass and where they excel is in bass speed and definition, so a bass connoisseur who appreciates texture may like them. I also listened to them mostly at low volume levels with no problem.

Finally, I wouldn't say there's any 'combination' problem as such: you will hear your roksan and arcam electronics. If you like that, then ATC should be good. If you want to change something, perhaps look elsewhere.

I would encourage you to demo in any event, as you can tell ATC is a 'marmite' speaker and my opinion or anyone else's isn't going to reach the right decision for you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I would encourage you to demo in any event, as you can tell ATC is a 'marmite' speaker and my opinion or anyone else's isn't going to reach the right decision for you.

I think I've said it before, but it isn't really the speaker that is "marmite", but the situation in which you put it.

Feed it the right diet of amp and source and it reflects them honestly. IMO It should come with a warning - "Match with care", 'cause it gives you your system (and music) warts and all.

CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:

I think I've said it before, but it isn't really the speaker that is "marmite", but the situation in which you put it. Feed it the right diet of amp and source and it reflects them honestly. IMO It should come with a warning - "Match with care", 'cause it gives you your system (and music) warts and all.

Hi CnE

Studio Control Monitor :) Simple :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I disagree with some of the comments re the 11s: true they don't go as low as a speaker with a port or transmission line, which go artifically low.

What's that suppose to mean? All speakers produce an artificial sound. They "re" produce music, they don't create music. The bass on a ported or trans line speaker is not more or less artifical than a sealed box. Now you might feel that the sealed box sounds closer to the real thing than the alternatives, that's your perogative. I don't happen to agree. In fact, I would say that speakers that roll off over 50 hz like the ATCs are less realistic sounding because they just omit the lowest two octaves altogether. I don't see how completely omitting low bass is more realistic. But (before anyone bites my head off), I do agree the ATC SCM11s are very good speakers and sound great. I am a fan, just like more bass...

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:

I think I've said it before, but it isn't really the speaker that is "marmite", but the situation in which you put it. Feed it the right diet of amp and source and it reflects them honestly. IMO It should come with a warning - "Match with care", 'cause it gives you your system (and music) warts and all.

I agree entirely, and this is exactly what I said in the paragraph preceding the one you quoted :)

MUSICRAFT said:
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:

Hi CnE

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

So you live in a studio?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
jaxwired said:
BenLaw said:
I disagree with some of the comments re the 11s: true they don't go as low as a speaker with a port or transmission line, which go artifically low.

What's that suppose to mean? All speakers produce an artificial sound. They "re" produce music, they don't create music. The bass on a ported or trans line speaker is not more or less artifical than a sealed box. Now you might feel that the sealed box sounds closer to the real thing than the alternatives, that's your perogative. I don't happen to agree. In fact, I would say that speakers that roll off over 50 hz like the ATCs are less realistic sounding because they just omit the lowest two octaves altogether. I don't see how completely omitting low bass is more realistic. But (before anyone bites my head off), I do agree the ATC SCM11s are very good speakers and sound great. I am a fan, just like more bass...

It means artificial in that you're getting bass notes that the drivers are incapable of reproducing alone. I didn't mean it as you've interpreted, artificially / realistically reproducing the music. I fully accept you miss information from music (with almost any speaker) and that the ATCs don't go as low as others, as said in my first post. Personally, if I want lower bass I'd go for a bigger box and drivers - and I did ;) But I entirely respect your alternative route :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:

Hi CnE

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

So you live in a studio?

How on earth do you interpret Rick's post to mean that? If it was lost on you (tho I assume it wasn't) that's what SCM stands for :)

plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:

Hi CnE

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

So you live in a studio?

Hi plastic penguin

Will a Studio flat do? :D

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:

Hi CnE

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

So you live in a studio?

Hi plastic penguin

Will a Studio flat do? :D

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts