Atc scm 11 or pmc fb1+ any help?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I think I've said it before, but it isn't really the speaker that is "marmite", but the situation in which you put it. Feed it the right diet of amp and source and it reflects them honestly.

i've tried to get that point across a number of times on here. :wall: discussion of the sound of atc speakers is fraught with people mistaking the sound of their electronics with the sound of the speakers, imo. it becomes obvious when you've tried a few bits of kit through them.

due to boundary wall reinforcement, and a handy room mode combined with the sealed box having a more gentle roll off, my scm19s put out much lower bass then the specs suggested. the op should try both in his room.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Craig M. said:
i've tried to get that point across a number of times on here. :wall: discussion of the sound of atc speakers is fraught with people mistaking the sound of their electronics with the sound of the speakers, imo. it becomes obvious when you've tried a few bits of kit through them.

TBH. I think it's very hard to get the point across, as people probably have to hear it for themselves....and to do that you probably need to own a reference monitor for a while (or demo it for a week in your own home with different kit).

A

Anonymous

jaxwired said:
BenLaw said:
I disagree with some of the comments re the 11s: true they don't go as low as a speaker with a port or transmission line, which go artifically low.

What's that suppose to mean? All speakers produce an artificial sound. They "re" produce music, they don't create music. The bass on a ported or trans line speaker is not more or less artifical than a sealed box. Now you might feel that the sealed box sounds closer to the real thing than the alternatives, that's your perogative. I don't happen to agree. In fact, I would say that speakers that roll off over 50 hz like the ATCs are less realistic sounding because they just omit the lowest two octaves altogether. I don't see how completely omitting low bass is more realistic. But (before anyone bites my head off), I do agree the ATC SCM11s are very good speakers and sound great. I am a fan, just like more bass...
Totally agree jaxwired had them for 10 months , but had let them go , no real BO***KS in the bass dept. :)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It is not really a fair comparison IMO the FB1+ is in a different league to the SCM 11 in every way including the price when new !

To me there is no question especially with your amp and room size and musical taste, it is FB1+ every time , don't hesitate to buy them .

But if by some unlikely chance they are not to your taste, you could easily sell them on for what you paid.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would say that a fairer comparison would be the SCM11's against the DB1i's or the Twenty.21's.

Like a few other manufacturers, PMC have made what I feel is quite a step forward with the Twenty series, and I think you'll find the 21's will have some qualities that the SCM11's can't compete with. I think it's down to what qualities you're after - the main thing I'm thinking is that if you're sitting close to a back wall, the sealed cabinet of the SCM11 might help as there will be less low bass collecting at the back of the room (play your current system, and experiment with how close you sit to the back wall - the closer you sit, the stronger the bass becomes, and the more muddled the imaging gets too). But, it is a large room to fill (you have to include the open kitchen unfortunately), so you may find the 11's will lack a little at lower volumes.

Theres plenty of excellent standmounts around the £1k mark though, so you have a decent choice. Just make sure you audition them with your amplifier.

A

Anonymous

hi

Thx for help guys

Now i thinking about pcm gb1i or fb1+ which one will be better for my room any idea?

I like good low bass but not to much.

Craig M. said:

due to boundary wall reinforcement, and a handy room mode combined with the sealed box having a more gentle roll off, my scm19s put out much lower bass then the specs suggested. the op should try both in his room.

Hi Craig

Nice one :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Gosh, these ATC's really do divide opinions. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal taste plus the listening environment can be a big factor. You may know from my previous posts, I took an age to find a speaker to suit my needs. In a former life I happily lived with B&W CM2's, but when moving to my current aboad, although fortunate to be able to have a dedicated listening room, that room turned out to be a real acoustic nightmare! Now I have the 40's, they are perfect in terms of not producing overbloated base, just letting me hear the base from the recording as was intended. The downside to having such a transparrant speaker, it does take careful matching with the electronics as I've found to my cost, showing up my Naim CDP as being too forward in the top end on some recordings, but I'll just have to put up with it until finances permit me to demo Pathos, Luxman, or Krell.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
anxion said:
hi

Thx for help guys

Now i thinking about pcm gb1i or fb1+ which one will be better for my room any idea?

I like good low bass but not to much.

Low bass output is down to driver size - its all about shifting air. From the two you mention, the FB1i would be the better bet. But you'll have plenty of alternatives to choose from like the ProAc D18's and KEF R700, for example.

Macspur said:
Gosh, these ATC's really do divide opinions. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal taste plus the listening environment can be a big factor. You may know from my previous posts, I took an age to find a speaker to suit my needs. In a former life I happily lived with B&W CM2's, but when moving to my current aboad I was fortunate to be able to have a dedicated listening room. However, that room turned out to be a real acoustic nightmare! Now I have the 40's, they are perfect in terms of not producing overbloated base, just letting me hear the base from the recording as intended. The downside to having such a transparrant speaker, it does take careful matching with the electronics as I've found to my cost, showing up my Naim CDP as being too forward in the top end on some recordings, but I'll just have to put up with it until finances permit me to demo Pathos, Luxman, or Krell.

Hi Macspur

With SCM40 monitors you've now got what i consider to probably be the finest VFM passive speakers currently available on the market regardless of price :)

Anyway if you haven't already done so then (as there is already an upgrade path for your CDX2) i'll recommend trying XPS2 or 555PS power supplies.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi

Oki i bought the atc 11 and i have them now 5 days and what i can say there are amazing the best speakers that i heard arround 2k euro , my friend bought the pmc ob1 the old one not new ver. and with bad recordings the atc are better ,warmer than pmc.

anxion said:
Hi

Oki i bought the atc 11 and i have them now 5 days and what i can say there are amazing the best speakers that i heard arround 2k euro , my friend bought the pmc ob1 the old one not new ver. and with bad recordings the atc are better ,warmer than pmc.

Hi anxion

Nice one 8) and i hope that you enjoy the performance of your ATC monitors for many years to come :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
anxion said:
Hi

Great stuff, glad you're pleased with them :) You should also find the bass opens up a touch with a few more hours on them :)

A

Anonymous

the bass is perfect now , more few hours and will be much better , jezus they are fantastic. Hats off to the creators of these speakers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts