At wits end with CA Kit and no bass....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I am really at my wits end and wondering if any part of my kit is duff?

I have the CA 540 C V2 - DNM Reson IC - CA 540 A V2 - Wharfedale Evo 2 -8 's / Quad 11 L2's

There is no bass (or very little!) even with the treble cranked down and the bass cranked up it seems very very lean (and overly bright).

The room is not that reflective and I have checked all connections such as phase etc...

Is this kit just too bright?

Our other system of a NAD C315BEE & NAD C355BEE - PSB Image B25's knocks it out the water in turns of balanced sound with enough bass.

I am using granite and steel stands, no mains correction and have now run out of ideas other than to pack this expensive hobby in - I'm in South Africa and kit is difficult to find and expensive when you do...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You appear to be using two pairs of speakers (the Wharfedales and the Quads).

Are you using them all at the same time, both sets plugged into the CA 540?

If so, what is the result when you use just one pair? (With tone controls neutral)

Have you tried substituting some different interconnects in place of the DNM's?

A

Anonymous

You haven't got a short circuit on the speaker wires have you? Are the speakers in phase?

A

Anonymous

I have tried using the Wharfies and the Quads seperately - but get the same result, I have tried different IC's (DNM, Monster, Audioquest, Straightwire) but they sound very similar, the connectors are on the back of the speaker posts - there is some bass there but very 'reserved' as in you really need to listen out for it....

Tried the speakers in several positions but the only change is in the imaging...so ready to throw the lot away!

It has sounded like this since new around 2 months ago and thought it would improve with some running in, bit if anything the treble is more piercing....

Using Ixos 80 speaker cable (single runs)

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
the only amps from CA that I've heard were the 340 and 640, but with either of them I found bass lacking.especially when compared to nad amps

A

Anonymous

I have the CA 640 A > CA pacific interconnect > CA 640C V2 > archaic sony speakers I found in the garage. (terrible I know)

The bass, I must admitt, is weak. Although I had always pinned this down to my shoddy speakers...

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
NAD amps have outstanding bass. If that's what you are looking for in a budget amp, you needed to buy a NAD. I don't think you will get the sound you are looking for from that gear. You either need to replace the amp or find speakers that have pronouced bass (like monitor audio).

A

Anonymous

Think I might swap the NAD electrons in the lounge (using PSB Image B25's) with the CA electronics and see what happens...

Pity I liked the NAD system as it was and was hoping the CA system would sort itself out....

A

Anonymous

This can't possibly be true, the man who runs Camridge Audio wrote a book once!

matthewpiano

I've always been very pro NAD, but I'm starting to become a bit of a Cambridge Audio convert. I've currently got both a C325BEE and a 640A V2 here, and the CA amp is clearly the better of the two - something which has really surprised me. There is so much more clarity to the sound and yet I don't find it bass light at all - just very honest about whats on the recording.

Overall, from my experience, I'd say that NAD amps sound better with price comparable speakers whereas the CA ones really come on song through something a bit better.

A

Anonymous

I guess it depends on the amp, the NAD C352 is obviously meant for at the very least comparable speakers in price and I have heard it drives the RS6's very well also. Well cancel that, jax has the updated version of the C352 (C355) and has said it sounds excellent. If you want bass, ebay NAD C352
emotion-1.gif

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:Forgot to say, the CA amps take a pretty big jump in quality once you get into the 740A and 840A models as well. The 640A is excellent but some way off the 740A.

Matthew:

I remember when you had 740 setup + MS 914i, you trounced CA SQ, and began your hifi journey with lots of changes amp+cdp+speakers wise; and now you are back to square one, with CA+MS setup, nice.

You said good about 640 reg clarity and bass, but in my RS6 setup, i find some lack of bass, so jumping to 840v1 could bring bags of bass ?

A

Anonymous

I sat now listening to an 840a running some mezzo 6 speakers and bass shy isnt how id describe the sound, in fact quite the reverse.

Im hugely impressed by the CA and the mezzo's

A

Anonymous

Just a shame the mezzo's wernt a winnie bit smaller though as SWMBO isnt to keen to say the least.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
The more I listen to my 840s the more convinced I am its all a bit bright. Detailed and good timing - but bright. Antman maybe RS6 or mezzos will sort you sound out.(and mine!)

A

Anonymous

Ive just returned some PMC GB1 speakers as they sounded bright and fatiguing...not suited to my setup as im sure their v good speakers and have replaced them with the mezzo 6 speaker already run in as their a demo pair and they sound fantastic detailed great bass smooth mid.

Im acutally very suprised as i wouldnt have belived that id rather some MS speakers over PMC??????????

A

Anonymous

In fainess give the GB1i a listen as the pair i had where the non i vesion and i belive the i is sweeter

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts