AT-LP120 and low sound

mikeypas

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi! Newbie question here:

I just purchased Audio Technica AT-LP120 TT, connected to my Integra DTR-30.2 , using Paradigm monitor 7 speakers. I find the sound very low (requiring me to make the volume very loud on the receiver), and somewhat muffled.

I read alot of people modding their LP120 by removing the built in pre-amp, and using an external. I do not feel comfortable doing this. However, I read that simply turning off the built-in pre-amp and using an external one, will benefit greatly.

I have an old Nakamichi RE-3 (receiver 3) that has phono input. Could this be used as a preamp ? Could I run that in between the TT and the Integra? Would that be of any help?

Any suggestions on how to get the volume up would be appreciated!

Thanks

Mike

D

Deleted member 108165

mikeypas said:
Hi! Newbie question here:

I just purchased Audio Technica AT-LP120 TT, connected to my Integra DTR-30.2 , using Paradigm monitor 7 speakers. I find the sound very low (requiring me to make the volume very loud on the receiver), and somewhat muffled.

I read alot of people modding their LP120 by removing the built in pre-amp, and using an external. I do not feel comfortable doing this. However, I read that simply turning off the built-in pre-amp and using an external one, will benefit greatly.

I have an old Nakamichi RE-3 (receiver 3) that has phono input. Could this be used as a preamp ? Could I run that in between the TT and the Integra? Would that be of any help?

Any suggestions on how to get the volume up would be appreciated!

Thanks

Mike

Might sound like a stupid question but do you have the toggle switch on the back of the tt set to PHONO or LINE?

mikeypas

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes I do. So now I'm using it on LINE because my Integra doesn't have a phono stage.

I don't even know if that Nak can be used in the way I'm describing.

D

Deleted member 108165

Looks like the Nakamichi has a pre-out so I guess it could be used for the purpose and may help to identify if the internal preamp on the AT is defective. How long have you had the AT?

More importantly I know a couple of people with the same deck as you and I have heard no reports of low volume issues from them.

mikeypas

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi DougK

Thanks for the reply. I dont think necessarily the preamp is defective. The output volume is just quite low compared to other inputs. It is a brand new unit.

How would I connect this Nak?

TT to PHONO IN on NAK, then PRE-OUT on NAK to AUX on my Integra?

Chris Firth

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried moving the switch to the Phono position?

Make sure you turn your amplifier down before trying it - you don't want to see the magic smoke coming from your tweeters.

D

Deleted member 108165

mikeypas said:
Hi DougK

Thanks for the reply. I dont think necessarily the preamp is defective. The output volume is just quite low compared to other inputs. It is a brand new unit.

How would I connect this Nak?

TT to PHONO IN on NAK, then PRE-OUT on NAK to AUX on my Integra?

I'm a relative newbie too *smile* My tt had the same volume differential regarding source, (CD, Network Player), when I first connected it. I had to dial in more volume with the tt to get the volume to the same level as other inputs. However, I fitted some passive attenuators to the other inputs and it brought them all roughly in line with each other. This route may assist you with the volume differential issue but not the muffled sound you are hearing.

As for the connections to the Nak: sounds about right to me, but don't be surprised if you still have to tweak the volume.

Also try what Chris says too.

mikeypas

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Chris,

Tried that, it produced no audible output at all with PHONO.

I got a hold of 2 old receivers that had PHONO inputs, so I will try using them as a preamp and see if it makes any difference.

mikeypas

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
OK, tried using a Harmon Karmon and a Nak receiver as a pre-amp. Both made no difference.

I guess I'll stick to my current setup, maybe boost the input level for the TT to try regulate things.

Thanks for everyone's input!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts