Assistance with purchase of new LED/LCD 37-42 inch TV

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hiya,

I have been looking for the past few weeks for a new TV, have done a lot of research on various websites but I seem to be getting morer confused the more TV's I look at.

My budget is around £600, not interested in 3D at the moment, but would like the Internet if possible.

Also looking for a blu-ray player, I presume a non 3Dblur-ray will be sufficient if the TV is non 3D?

I saw the Panasonic tx l42e30b on amazon which have positive and some negative reviews.

Any advice on the current crop of best non 3D TV's for around that price (37-42 inch) would be greatly aprreciated...

Thanks

A

Anonymous

The panny TX-l42E30 is a v good tv. I bought one recently after a fair bit of demo and it is certainly a match for samsung 6000 series tv's and i thought it was better than the Panny plasmas. It has v good black levels for an LED and does not have that processed look that some Samsung and LG LED's can have. My only criticism is a slight lack of detail sometimes in blacks but its a minor issue. It is outstanding for blue ray and HD tv. I would not pay too much attention to reviews from the public on amazon and go with reviews from respected reviewers and magazines, most of whom rate it well.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the information fraz, yes the panasonic does seem to be a good TV, I was torn between a Sony/Samsung/Panasonic set but I think Iwill probabaly go with the panny.

Im still not sure with regards to the blu-ray, it seem pointless to get a 3D blu ray if the tv is non 3d?

any further advice on non 3D blu-rays? the sony bdp-380 seems to have good review on what-hifi, I was leaning towards getting a panasonic blu-ray but I have read that they may interfere if you have other panasonic products (I have a panasonic dvd recorder with freeview, which i still want to use, I have read that the remote control of a panasonic blu-ray will also switch on the panasonic dvd recorder!!!!).

thanks in advance........

A

Anonymous

Any help on the above would be really appreciated.........

A

Anonymous

Any help on the above would be really appreciated.........

A

Anonymous

Well I ended up buying the Panasonic tx l42e30b from Richer Sounds.

I have tweaked the settings a bit as the SD picure was not anything special to be honest, I find that the picture on HD is very good, although when people are moving around the screen with a background it seems as though the edging of them is fuzzy (I hope I have explained that correctly!!!).

does anyone know if this can be corrected by tweaking the settings even more?

Also I have jumped from a 32 inch TV to a 42 inch TV, my eyes have been very sore since we purchased the TV, I have also moved it from a corner (distance of around 2.5m) to the middle of the room (distance of just under 2m), Im thinking it may now be too close to me to get the ideal picture, any ideas on distance?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I have tweaked the settings a bit as the SD picure was not anything special to be honest, I find that the picture on HD is very good, although when people are moving around the screen with a background it seems as though the edging of them is fuzzy (I hope I have explained that correctly!!!).

Also I have jumped from a 32 inch TV to a 42 inch TV, my eyes have been very sore since we purchased the TV, I have also moved it from a corner (distance of around 2.5m) to the middle of the room (distance of just under 2m), Im thinking it may now be too close to me to get the ideal picture, any ideas on distance?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

napule said:

Thanks

Under 2 metres is quite close but should still be ok. Your eyes will take a little time to adjust to a bigger screen though. You could turn the brightness down slightly which might help.I have mine under 50% as LED tv's do seem to be quite bright which could go for your eyes.

I am not sure what you mean by fuzz. I have not noticed it on mine at all. Do you have the intelligent frame creation pro turned on? That can cause a " halo" effect if turned on to max which could possibly be described as fuzz. Check that in advanced picture settings and turn it off. I only have it on for fast moving sports.

I agree about the Sd picture but i think freeview quality is pretty lousy these days and is mainly to blame.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Fraz,

I actually typed the wrong measurements last time, my previous 32 inch CRT TV was about 3-3.5 metre away, whereas this new 42 inch TV is about 2.5-3 metres away.

I have been surfing the net recently trying to find correct viewing distances for SD/HD with a 42 inch TV, however they both vary as you can sit nearer when watching HD but need to be further away when watching SD.

As you said I think it was because I had jumped from a 32 to a 42 inch set that was making my eyes sore as it has now settled, so I think the distance I am at the moment is fine. (was contemplating changing it for the 37 inch version, but will stick with this now).

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the "Halo effect", this is what is happening with people in front of backgrounds having an artificial feel to the picture on HD.

I will turn off the IFC, I have the picture setting on normal at the moment (cinema and true cinema seemed too yellow), i have a setting of "Cool" and everytning else is also on, PNR etc (including advanced settings).

I have the sharpness at about 75%, colour, brightness at 50% and contrast at around 60%, the picture does sometimes seem a little gloomy.

There are so many settings it is so difficult to work out the best one to be honest, and everyone has there own specific viewing tastes.

If you could let me know your settings that would be great

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Try the brightness at below 50%,say about 45%.Set sharpness at 50% or lower. It does not make the picture sharper, all it does is alter the contrast. Set the contrast higher, to about 75% or even 80%.

I have mine set at 45% brightness, 75% contrast, 33% sharpness and resolution on max. The picture noise reduction should really be off for the best picture but i find it improves the ropey standard definition picture if set to minimum.

Use the intelligent frame creation pro for fast moving sports on tv only. You will not need it at all for Blu ray. let me know if that makes a difference.

A

Anonymous

Fraz,

Many thanks for your reply, yes I will try those settings and see what happens, I have already tuned off the IFC and it has helped, all in all I am now really pleased with this tv, just need to find a suitable blu ray player/hdmi cable to go with this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts