no tv size between 32 and 39/40 inch - what happened to 37 inch?

monoman

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I am looking to get a new tv as a step up from what has been a great Panasonic 32 inch lxd70. I just want a slightly larger screen for our mosest sized living room. But all I can go up to now is 39 inches which is just that bit too big (don't want a big screen dominating the room). Why are there 39 inch and then 40 inch tv's - where is the logic in that one inch difference??

37 inch would have been fine - especailly if they were now with the slim bezels we see in currebt tv's making its width that much more accomodating.

Anyone know if some manufacturers are going to start making screens between 32 and 39/40 inches - there is definitely a market for it.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I've never seen a 39 inch TV, have you got any examples? It's probably the bezel that's the reason why 37 has dropped out, 40inch slim bezel screens are probably no bigger than old 37 inch sets with thick bezels.

D

Deleted member 2457

42 inches is the new 37 inches.
smiley-smile.gif

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Probably down to the economics of getting particular screen sizes out of whichever size of motherglass the factories are using to make the screens these days – you can get x 32in displays or y 42in screens out of a sheet of glass with minimal wastage, but getting a sensible number of 37in screens will involve a lot more 'off-cuts' being thrown away or (expensively) recycled.

Well, either that or the fact that the trend on screen sizes is still upward, with people wanting ever larger screens for ever less money.

CaptainKirk

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
37 inches is the threshold where HD comes in to its own - beyond it SD pictures start to look really bad and pixelate (or loose definition).
In terms of buying a new TV, it would seem that 32 inches is now the option for a 'does all' TV.

wimmer

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I echo your question - I have a room with a recess that can accomodate a screen up 36" (37" with a narrow bezel), so I'm stuck with a 32" because 40" or 39" will not fit.

Why do manufactueres think everybody wants a stupid size screen in today's cramped dwellings.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The ultimate answer is there mustn't be a big enough market to justify the cost of making those panel sizes. If there was, they would be everywhere. As for why there once was but now isn't, it's probably because ten years ago 37" was bordering on being the biggest screen you could buy for sensible money, so it attracted your everyday shopper wanting a big TV without busting the bank. Nowadays the same demographic can buy 40"+ even 50"+ TVs for the same outlay, so that's what they go for.

Another mystery of life is why do newbies join forums to reply to a five year old long-dead thread like it was asked yesterday :)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Major Fubar said:
Another mystery of life is why do newbies join forums to reply to a five year old long-dead thread like it was asked yesterday
smile.gif

Could be the sunshine, the moonlight or the good time, but I'd probably blame it on the Google. ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts