Please help me choose a 46 inch TV

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I finally decided to get a 46 incher, my wife wanted a 40 incher but I told her that in blue ray 46 inch is better. I don't want to go bigger because we watch a lot of SD digital tv and some upscaled dvd's. But most of the movies are BD.

In stores I hated most led tv's I don't know what's the big deal about these tv's but I think they are overpriced because you're only paying for design.

Best tv's I saw are:

Samsung LE 46c650 (LCD)

Panasonic TX P46 S/G 20 (Plasma)

But they both have some minor points on forums:

Samsung; Panel Lottery???

Pana;Floating Blacks???

Can some owners give me here the final push to buy a new tv ?

I can't make a choice between these 2 tv's

thank you all

rob

A

Anonymous

Have you considered the Sony KDl-EX46503? Not only is it regarded as one of the best sensibly priced 46" panels available today, but it also has the added benefit of a built in Freeview HD tuner, which will definitely come in useful when watching off the air broadcasts on a 46" TV. There are some cracking deals on it at the minute too, I think about 700 after Sony gives you the VAT back...(Special Offer till Xmas Eve)

A

Anonymous

Sorry its the KDL-46EX503

John Lewis have it for 830 but you can claim the VAT back via redemption making it a little over 700

http://www.johnlewis.com/230949030/Product.aspx

And you get a John Lewis 5 Year Guarentee

BARGAIN!!!!!

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
The Pana has good write-ups and from what I read on other forums... Sony aren't what they used to be. Then again PLASMA is better all round than LCD [edited by mods - or don't due to house rules.]

EDITED BY MODS, please do not discuss moderation

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Yep, that's why I norrow my search to the Samsung LCD and Pana plasma because the Sony was not as good as the Samsung.

LED did not have any advantage on LCD only the slimmer design and eco-friendly.

I think the picture of the Samsung was very close to the Pana in the shop. Very nice black levels.

A

Anonymous

carl62:

John Lewis have it for 830 but you can claim the VAT back via redemption making it a little over 700

BARGAIN!!!!!

I bought one..LAST WEEK...you know..before this new offer,for £800.00 at the Sony Centre,Wish I`d known about Sony`s VAT redemption scheme then. I`d have waited a week

Great telly mind

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
zomp:carl62:

BARGAIN!!!!!

I bought one..LAST WEEK...you know..before this new offer,for £800.00 at the Sony Centre,Wish I`d known about Sony`s VAT redemption scheme then. I`d have waited a week

Great telly mind

I think you would be reasonable to contact Sony and ask them to include you in the scheme, as it was only a week. It won't make a huge difference to the Sony Centre as the money is being refunded from Sony UK. It has to be worth a try, and Sony are professional enough to realise that Customer care is very important to their brand loyalty.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Grr hard choices to make.

At 2,5 meter would 46,50 inch be too big? I have some HD channels but not all (in Holland).

Sony ex500, Samsung le650 and Panasonic s20 are the choices. Or maybe a 50 incher LG PK550? (slim design so 50 inch not that big).

A

Anonymous

the lg50pk990 is a great set imo, sd looks very good on it, especially upscaled dvd's. i wouldnt want to be any closer than 2.5 metres for sdtv though, mine is 3 metres away and its fine..
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

I would add the Philips 46PFL7605 to the list, its got the new UV2A LCD panel technology ( better blacks, better grayscale, better contrast, faster panel ) , the others on the list are using the "old" LCD panel technology.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
But no HD tuner and bad cailbration settings. Philips make tv's for noobs who don't want to spend time on calibration.

I think Samsung old technology has more natural colours too.

A

Anonymous

poldo:
But no HD tuner and bad cailbration settings. Philips make tv's for noobs who don't want to spend time on calibration.

emotion-3.gif
, i would have said the opposite is true, especially the 9 series..

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:poldo:

emotion-3.gif
, i would have said the opposite is true, especially the 9 series..

Agreed Max. I would say that, if anything, Philips seeks to make a virtue out of how involved the set-up of its TVs is.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
9 serie is a prof.screen, but the normal screens have very bad calibration settings.

Today I went to some shops and I prefer the Panasonic G20, but all the salesman say I need max. 40-42 inch at 2,5 mtrs.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
this is my list, going to buy one of them tomorrow:

1. Samsung LE 40c650 (+ price, +picture / -panel lottery)

2. LG 42LE 8500 (+nice design, +great picture, -very reflective)

3. Panasonic TX42 G20 (+best picture, -ugly design)

you guys have any advice before I buy one tomorrow?

A

Anonymous

from that lot i think id take the lg, reviews are excellent, all reviews, which is rare..

edit.. i read that as 42x20. the g20 is a different story, that is a harder decision
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

Sony TV's all the way. I love my 46" X3000 I bought 2 years ago. Even at £2700 it was worth every penny.

Considering the prices are dropping loads I would def. buy a newer model. Just watch out for backlight issues.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Well no 40-42 inch for me, it is 46-50 inch all the way, much better then 42 inch with movies.

So this evening I will order 1 of these tv's:

-LG 50 PK 950

-Panasonic 50S20

-Samsung LE 46c650

any advice?

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
Poldo, difficult one, but here's my two pence worth. I will get me 54S20 in a couple of weks, having been disappointed with (very!) uneven backlight on my 2-weeks old Sony 46EX500, affordable as it was. After 3 LCDs, it is now time for a Panny plasma.

Not likely to be much different from the LG plasma, and it is down to my personal preference for Panasonic brand.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hijack this thread but has anyone on here actually had the Philips 46PFL7605 yet? if so what are peoples impressons? i only ask as there are no retailers who stock this set here in darkest Lincolnshire!!

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I saw the Philips but was not impressed, I would pick the Samsung LEC650 above the Philips in 46 inch better value.

But I was very impressed by the LG PK 550 for the money, very nice screen. PK 950 was very nice too, with a great design.

Iam leaning to the LG PK 950 but I have always had Panasonic tv's so the S20 would be a safe choice.

Very difficult.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts