Aspect Ratio

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently watched 'The Abyss' on dvd and I was surprised at how small the picture was i.e. how much of the screen was taken up by black bars.

I know that films are shot in different aspect ratios, so my surprise wasn't at the presence of black bars, which I don't really have an issue with. What did puzzle me is that the claimed aspect ratio on the disc is 2.35:1, and I have many films with this aspect ratio, none of which reduce the size of the picture to such an extent.

Is there any reason why 2 films with the same aspect ratio would differ in the thickness of the black bars, or is this likely to be a miss-statement on the back of 'The Abyss' dvd box?

Just to reiterate, I'm not complaining at the presence of the bars. I know '2001' and 'How the West was won' are wider and the picture therefore smaller, but their aspect ratios reflect this.

Any ideas?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You will come across the ocassional disc that may be labelled incorrectly. I had a film a few weeks ago which said 2.35:1, and it was actually 1.85:1.

Also, many films will have a logo on it saying "16:9 Anamorphic", but the actual ratio could be 2.35:1 or 2.40:1, which it will usually state in the specs.

A

Anonymous

The Abyss is only available as a non-anamorphic release. This means that you will see black bars all the way around the image, reducing the picture to a small picture within the frame of the tv. Is this what you mean? If so, you can compensate by using the zoom function on your set to , well, zoom in.

A

Anonymous

I think the back may have been labelled incorrectly then. I looked on imdb.com and it says that there are two aspect ratios 2.20:1 and 2.35:1.

I'm not sure what non-anamorphic means, but the image only had black bars top and bottom (really thick ones) not left and right.

I've just checked the box and it says both 2.35:1 and 'Widescreen Version, 4:3.' Quite what those two mean when taken, I'm not entriely sure. Maybe there are both versions on the disc, because otherwise I'd imagine they would be contradictory.

Anyway, I do think incorrect labelling as David suggested, is the most likely cause for my confusion.

A

Anonymous

4:3 widescreen as a term refers to non-anamorphic widescreen ie in that mode you would have black bars left and right too. My copy is the USA one, and it too lists as 2.35:1. To put your mind at rest, I would suggest you also look at another movie in the same aspect ratio, to see if the black bars appear the same width. They ought to, of course.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Anamorphic means the picture has been squeezed - it you look at anamorphic output on a non-widescreen TV, for instance, everyone will look thin and squashed. On a widescreen TV with a 16.9 setting (anamorphic), the picture will be stretched out. A non-anamorphic (i.e. 'normal' picture) will have to be expanded more in every direction to fill a wide screen, hence anamorphic DVDs etc should offer a better quality image.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts