Ask a rude question... speaker cables

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I can't suggest what to use in context of your system but I have two sets of speaker cables which I change depending on what speaker/amplifier combination I use (if I can be bothered at the time of swapping them).

One is VanDamme Hifi UPCFo something 4mm and the other VDH CS122 Carbon Hybrid.

They have a different effect as opposed to 'sound' which of course they don't.

D

Deleted member 195594

There are the Equator 2.0 if you want to stick with what you know, or the Atlas Hyper 1.5 or Hyper 2.0. I had a SH pair of the Hyper 2.0 off ebay for a while. Nice and inexpensive

Reactions: Dom
To be honest, what I know about any cables I could write on the back of a postage stamp. I just know to keep away from silvers. Had the Chord Odyssey a few years ago - dreadful things. That was the only time I heard sibilance.

I know on that video I posted a few days ago, Terry was using TQ Blue with Elements amp. Again, no experience of the brand.

D

Deleted member 195594

I've had the TQ Blue II; they're ok. They're supposed to be smooth and combat harshness in systems. I found them to do just that, but too much for my liking. I'm currently trying the Ultra Blue II which are much better so far, but I've only had them a few days, and haven't managed to listen much yet, seem to be living at the vets with one of my dogs.
I'm not very good at describing the qualities of gear, but I would say from what I've heard, they just play music and are not "hifi-y" if that makes sense. Quite a pleasant experience for the couple of hours I've had with them.

Reactions: plastic penguin
D

Deleted member 195594

I had the same thought when I had the QED cables for a while; I did eek out a bit more, for not much money. The Tellurium are nice sounding cables (I've only tried the Blue and Ultra Blue II, the Black starts creeping in to a different price bracket altogether)

There's usually second hand Tellurium speaker cables on ebay, definitely worth a punt. Its what I usually do for cables, rather than pay full whack, and sell the item on if I don't like it or get the urge to try something new. For me personally, when I had the Blue II, they were a tad too smooth for me, but, I did find I'd I stopped analysing my system, and being absorbed in the music, and I think so far, the Ultra Blues seem to be similar without the excessive (for me) smoothness. They still retain all the detail I could want but without pushing it at me 😊

Reactions: plastic penguin

abacus

Do a level matched double blind test and you will find NO difference between good 2,5mm sq. cable and the cables mentioned. (This is all professional Video and Music Production studios use)
If however you still believe cables make a difference to the sound (Even though it has been proven time and time again that they don’t) then just buy what you believe sounds right to you.

Bill

Gray

If you really wanted to spend some money, you could go for some 6mm Van Damme.
Sensitive meters would measure a lower resistance compared to 2.5 or 4mm, but the chances of you hearing a difference.......
(and you'd need to buy, or modify, plugs to accommodate the extra width).

At least you'd be getting extra copper for your money, as opposed to dreamt-up foo technology.

To be frank speaker cables are a bit like asking someone what's their best coffee brand.
I dont think spending huge amounts brings huge improvements.
I have used cheap cables and Townshend Isolda and even more expensive types, none have made massive improvements on my system.
If you feel the urge set yourself a budget and go try some that you can return If they don't do anything to your set-up.
This may require finding an understanding dealer.......

Do a level matched double blind test and you will find NO difference between good 2,5mm sq. cable and the cables mentioned. (This is all professional Video and Music Production studios use)
If however you still believe cables make a difference to the sound (Even though it has been proven time and time again that they don’t) then just buy what you believe sounds right to you.

Bill
Totally understand. I'm one of the biggest naysayers when it comes to cables, however all the cables I've heard and owned have been in a similar price bracket. Never had a reason to go beyond a certain price point.

Reactions: Al ears

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
without sounding facetious, you need to match whatever is in your speakers/amp. Klipsch for example in there latest heritage line use audio quest cable, Sugden use silver cables in there amps same as audio note.

If its cheap run of mill copper then that’s all I’d buy. 79 strand or similar, No thick or exotic cables will make any difference If the last 20cm from the internal cross over to woofer is a completely different material or gauge.

There just my thoughts take or leave them for what they are, a random guy on the net.

In my run of mill system I’ve heard nothing better than simple copper cables. Like linn k20 or qed 79/original.

Dom

Being budget limited I buy what I can afford. This is the AudioQuest Rocket 11. I couldn't hear a difference between that and what I used before.

I'm a believer but not convinced.

Last edited:
without sounding facetious, you need to match whatever is in your speakers/amp. Klipsch for example in there latest heritage line use audio quest cable, Sugden use silver cables in there amps same as audio note.

If its cheap run of mill copper then that’s all I’d buy. 79 strand or similar, No thick or exotic cables will make any difference If the last 20cm from the internal cross over to woofer is a completely different material or gauge.

There just my thoughts take or leave them for what they are, a random guy on the net.

In my run of mill system I’ve heard nothing better than simple copper cables. Like linn k20 or qed 79/original.
I really am fastidious (even boring) when it comes to matching individual components together. That won't change, hence why I'm curious about speaker cables.

I will only change when or if I hear a justifiable difference.

Luckily, Infidelty hi-fi, who I have a good rapport with, offered me a home trial of some TQ Black cables a few years ago. That said, because I demoed the Neat SX2 and Iota Alphas, and eventually plumped for the Rubis instead, I feel they might not want to see my face any time soon, just in case.

WayneKerr

PP. For years I ran VD Blue 2.5mm in my system with absolutely no issues, when I upgraded the system I thought I'd splash out on some cables and chose QED XT40, they weren't cheap at 3m run each side. Personal experience... naff all difference from the VD Blue, but they do match the colour of the Atlas interconnects I use. Whilst I don't own a reference system it is a pretty good one so if there were any difference to be noticed I should have heard it. I guess what I got for the money was some well terminated cables in a colour to suit my decor :)

I am definitely not in the cables make a difference camp or the magic cable theorizer group. I term exotic cables as go-faster stripes on a car, they may look good but they do damn-all for performance.

What I do firmly believe is hi-fi manufacturers know what they're doing and don't have to resort to foo-science to sell their products... cable dealers are a different proposition altogether.

Don't have a issue with online cable dealers - they are trying to make a profit. However, they can hide behind the facade of the internet, whereas high street dealers have nowhere to hide.

Can I just reiterate my system sounds superb 'as is'.

I'll see if I can blag some cables from Infidelity and try them out. It's where I purchased the Atlas from. Probably wait until after the Festive period.

Totally understand. I'm one of the biggest naysayers when it comes to cables, however all the cables I've heard and owned have been in a similar price bracket. Never had a reason to go beyond a certain price point.
If you can find someone who will lend you a pair of high price cables and see what you think....
At the moment, unfortunately, the only pair I have are the ones I am currently using (Acoustics Zen Hologram II)

Last edited:

WayneKerr

Must admit, PP, that you have got me thinking about why not try something more exotic/expensive and hear for myself :) This will have to go on the back burner though as 2 months ago I joined the ranks of the economically inactive when I resigned from my job as I felt I was placed in an untenable position by my employer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts