Are WHF reviews done using blind testing ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As a research scientist myself (a psychologist in fact) I am acutely aware of the dangers of placebo and expectancy effects and thus always endeavour to incorporate some kind of blind testing whenever I run experiments. I wondered if What Hi-fi uses blind testing, and if not, why not? It seems to me if you have a soft spot for a particular brand or product, or just like the look of it, this is highly likely to influence your perception of its performance in a listening test versus alternative products. A scientific approach doesn't have to cost much at all - you just need two people minimum and a listener who is blindfolded so they don't know which product they are listening to. Hell, I even do it at home when auditioning new equipment and doing a-b comparisons, roping in my wife to switch the amp inputs for me so I don't know which product I'm listening to. I know some other publications used to or still do blind testing, so what is What Hi-fi's line on this one?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Apart from TVs, obviously
emotion-2.gif

But seriously, having a team of testers plus dedicated facilities allows us to concentrate on the performance of a product - nothing is reviewed in isolation; either in terms of it being one person's opinion, or in terms of the product being reviewed without reference to rival products.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I don't think blind test have much to do with result but I can see why most readers would like the review to be done with blind test. The best reviewers whf could employ right now is Stevie Wonder! He does know what is the real piano sound like and you wouldn't be needing a blind fold.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts