Are people scared to post here now?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
nibbo:JoelSim:
You should have seen the number of fish he brought round my plaice the other night...

ÿ

Was the spelling of 'plaice' deliberate or a coincidence Joel?ÿ
emotion-5.gif

Pure coincidience

ÿ

T

the record spot

dunno mate. (Sorry...)

I think there is a good atmosphere on these forums, maybe it's that we're all a generally friendly bunch, or maybe it's just they use a good quality tin of air freshener (Glade Digital or something). Either way, I hope we keep it that way for along time to come.

For the most part it is fun, though the AVI 9.1 discussions and spinoff threads from them aren't necessarily part of that and the only caveat I've noticed of late that detracts from the general good atmosphere, although that's all I'll say about that particular issue for now!

As for the cable wars, there's heated exchanges on many a forum around that one, so it's hardly new or unexpected here.

Generally, it's all good fun, and apologies if I typically mention Marantz or buying used kit more than is healthy; it's just that I think both can offer outstanding VFM and I like 'em!

EDIT: One other thing, the fact you get the staff adding their input is one of the highlights here for me. Try getting that on some other sites.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:

Generally, it's all good fun, and apologies if I typically mention Marantz or buying used kit more than is healthy; it's just that I think both can offer outstanding VFM and I like 'em!

Don't apologise, its what you get pleasure from and if you think you are getting a bargain thats all that matters.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
EDIT: One other thing, the fact you get the staff adding their input is
one of the highlights here for me. Try getting that on some other sites.

Thank you, record spot. Good to know someone appreciates our contribution!
emotion-2.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
nads:
it might be an idea to get the report post function working.

It does not give people confidence that they can not report issues.

getting

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP
404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies)
could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily
unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is
spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /errors/404.aspx

does not give noobs confidence.

Couldn't agree more nads. Fixing the report post function, and those pesky server errors, are high on my list of priorities. Believe me, I raise the issue daily. Digital Media team, if you're reading this, please take note.

John Duncan

Andy Clough:Couldn't agree more nads. Fixing the report post function, and those pesky server errors, are high on my list of priorities. Believe me, I raise the issue daily. Digital Media team, if you're reading this, please take note.

emotion-8.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Simon Lucas:If people are going to question my/our integrity when all I/we are doing is my/our jobs to the best of my/our ability, I/we am/are bound to defend my/our position/s robustly.

My eyes hurt...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
idc:the_lhc:

..... and sorry, but I'm not going to reply just to tell you I don't know, it's wasting my time and yours and getting your hopes up when you see there's been a reply, hopes that are irritatingly dashed when you read a useless response like "dunno mate" (well it annoys me anyway).

Remembering from the being a novice poster having someone with say 500 plus posts come on and say, well, no idea, but you could try here is a nice way of dealing with someone.

Yes but that's what I mean, if I have anything to add, I'll say it, but a lot of these questions are pretty obscure and I can't help at all, so I don't see the point of posting just to show my ignorance.

A

Anonymous

Simon Lucas:
Cofnchtr:A whole load of knowledgeable users here other than the magazine employees who go above and beyond as far as I am concerned - especially when the conspiracy theorists rear their heads.

If people are going to question my/our integrity when all I/we are doing is my/our jobs to the best of my/our ability, I/we am/are bound to defend my/our position/s robustly. All those people who burst into your workplace daily and tell you you're corrupt/incompetent/lazy constantly - do you accept it or do you try to explain your position?

I usually buy flowers, but then I work from home, it's usually one person and we are married.ÿ

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
hmmm...

seems like i have been away for too long and you have all gone a bit mad...

anyway my suggestion to attract new folks to the forum is that all the mods need better photos of themselves :)

just kidding ... (getting coat)...:)

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Simon Lucas:
Cofnchtr:A whole load of knowledgeable users here other than the magazine employees who go above and beyond as far as I am concerned - especially when the conspiracy theorists rear their heads.

If people are going to question my/our integrity when all I/we are doing is my/our jobs to the best of my/our ability, I/we am/are bound to defend my/our position/s robustly. All those people who burst into your workplace daily and tell you you're corrupt/incompetent/lazy constantly - do you accept it or do you try to explain your position?

Hi Simon,

I think my wording could have been better - when I read it back I can see where you could misunderstand me. Proper use of punctuation may have helped my context better too. My use of the phrase 'above and beyond' has been misinterpreted. Above and beyond the call of duty was my actual meaning. I did not mean to sound as though I was criticising any employee of the magazine for posting on here.

What my meaning was - A whole load of knowledgeable users here as well as the magazine employees who go above and beyond the call of duty as far as I am concerned, especially when the conspiracy theorists rear their heads.

My intention was to show support and give thanks to WHFSV employees for interacting with the readership of the forum/magazine despite having to put up with unfounded and unnecessary accusations and not to criticise you for defending your honour.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
ahh, the age-old problem of conveying context in written form. I have, in the past, probably been lumped with the conspiracy theorists for asking questions - my questions are borne of my own lack of knowledge, and wanting to better understand this murky world into which I appear to drawn too (that a joke, I don't think you lot are murky). That's why I think the noddy explanations would be really helpful.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Cofnchtr:Simon Lucas:

Hi Simon, I think my wording could have been better - when I read it back I can see where you could misunderstand me. Proper use of punctuation may have helped my context better too. My use of the phrase 'above and beyond' has been misinterpreted. Above and beyond the call of duty was my actual meaning. I did not mean to sound as though I was criticising any employee of the magazine for posting on here. What my meaning was - A whole load of knowledgeable users here as well as the magazine employees who go above and beyond the call of duty as far as I am concerned, especially when the conspiracy theorists rear their heads. My intention was to show support and give thanks to WHFSV employees for interacting with the readership of the forum/magazine despite having to put up with unfounded and unnecessary accusations and not to criticise you for defending your honour. Cheers, Cofnchtr.

Think it was also the use of "other than..." rather than "aswell as..." but hey, i knew what you meant.

I like a good healthy conspiracy thread from time to time. Afterall, we all surely agree that, were there anything to some of those theories, it would be a bad thing.

idc

al7478:[

I like a good healthy conspiracy thread from time to time......

Me to, and if there were no conspiracy threads it would only result in a conspiracy thread about why there were no conspiracy threads.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
idc:al7478: I like a good healthy conspiracy thread from time to time......

Me to, and if there were no conspiracy threads it would only result in a conspiracy thread about why there were no conspiracy threads.

Aha, you don't fool me! That's just what you WANT us to think...

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I have rectified my post to say what I wanted to say so everyone could understand it - as mentioned previously it was not written very well. Local dialect is not passed on very well in written form.

Had I intended to exclude the staff of the mag I wouldn't have mentioned them at all. My use of 'other than' was instead of 'as well as' in the context I was trying to use it.

I was trying to say that users and staff were knowledgeable.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Hang on there, no insults, please! I'm a user, and not at all knowledgeable.ÿ

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:
idc: The thing that I hate the most now is seeing a first poster's question go unanswered, that must be very dispiriting. I try to add at least comment where I can, or a few times direct people to another part of the forum.

I can understand that point of view, but by the same token it's really quite annoying when someone posts a question and then follows it up every 20 minutes for the next 4 days saying "Anyone?", "Anyone?", "come on! Someone must know!", "Have I offended you?" "Anyone?", "Anyone?", "Bueller?". Sorry, but I haven't heard or even heard of, the Phartmatic ES-99,000,000 semi-active speakers, so I can't tell you how they sound with the Triang-Fonus gigawatt class p amplifier that's only available in Ulan-Bator and I'm guessing by their silence that neither has anybody else!

If I don't answer (and let's face it, I'm only at work, I really don't have anything better to do) it's because I don't know, and sorry, but I'm not going to reply just to tell you I don't know, it's wasting my time and yours and getting your hopes up when you see there's been a reply, hopes that are irritatingly dashed when you read a useless response like "dunno mate" (well it annoys me anyway).

And if you don't get a reply, starting a new thread the next day asking the same question with slightly different wording isn't going to make any difference. Even the third time...

Hahaha. Made me laugh, but you're spot on.

:)

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:the_lhc:
idc: The thing that I hate the most now is seeing a first poster's question go unanswered, that must be very dispiriting. I try to add at least comment where I can, or a few times direct people to another part of the forum.

I can understand that point of view, but by the same token it's really quite annoying when someone posts a question and then follows it up every 20 minutes for the next 4 days saying "Anyone?", "Anyone?", "come on! Someone must know!", "Have I offended you?" "Anyone?", "Anyone?", "Bueller?". Sorry, but I haven't heard or even heard of, the Phartmatic ES-99,000,000 semi-active speakers, so I can't tell you how they sound with the Triang-Fonus gigawatt class p amplifier that's only available in Ulan-Bator and I'm guessing by their silence that neither has anybody else!

If I don't answer (and let's face it, I'm only at work, I really don't have anything better to do) it's because I don't know, and sorry, but I'm not going to reply just to tell you I don't know, it's wasting my time and yours and getting your hopes up when you see there's been a reply, hopes that are irritatingly dashed when you read a useless response like "dunno mate" (well it annoys me anyway).

And if you don't get a reply, starting a new thread the next day asking the same question with slightly different wording isn't going to make any difference. Even the third time...

If these people are posting the same unanswered question repeatedly then how is it that they are scared of posting? :)

I think most of the questions here get answered to some degree and if someone's hope gets dashed because they don't receive the reply that they want, then maybe they shouldn't have asked in the first place?

I think quite a few newbies really have no clue where to start and don't have time to do extensive research on what to buy so they either get their answers from salesmen or forums. Therefore, I don't think we should be afraid to throw answers to them based on our own individual opinions even though they should be testing the products for themselves to see which one they really prefer. In reality, they will probably just follow the advice and then be perfectly happy with their purchase as they wouldn't ever have the chance to compare versus anything else.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
seakingadvice:Big Chris:the_lhc:

If these people are posting the same unanswered question repeatedly then how is it that they are scared of posting? :)

I think it's more about the lack of response making noobs feel like it's a cold, unfriendly site, but the reason there may be no responses is stated above.

As the_lhc rightly says, posting "dunno mate" or "My one's OK" doesn't really help the OP, but at least it makes them feel like they're not being ignored. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

A

Anonymous

Hahaha. I guess people just need to realise that everyone here is dishing out FREE advice so unless they are paying to receive replies to their questions, nobody can expect/demand that their question is answered.

I think not many posts go unanswered anyway so don't see this as a major problem on this site.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts