Are people scared to post here now?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I know one place that's dominated by two posters who are (some say) the same person...! I think a cable forum, to encompass mains conditioning would be a good idea. That's the level of detail that scares away the "are soundbars better or worse than a 5.1 DD set-up" questioners.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Big Aura:"are soundbars better or worse than a 5.1 DD set-up" Whereas that's the level of detail that scares off us serious cable-wranglers.......

Heh. It can't be that hard to get?!

Like an unwise man said - there are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't...

John Duncan

Actually, I can't report by 24 hour period, only by individual days. But yesterday was busier than the day before
emotion-2.gif

MyWhatHiFi

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I class myself as a newbie. You can see that from my No of posts. I do respect this site and have bought the Mag for years, only recently have I joined due to most info I have got from exsisting forums.

All of it can be interesting, however there is some odd remarks that I tend to ignore.

I just posted a note on a new TV I bought and hope some 'decent' users of this site (like you all in this thread) can give me some good advice.

I can assure you that the advice, comment and suggestions given on this site are very valuable indeed. I thought I was a bit Tech minded until I read some of the stuff on here!

Thanks

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I don't think people are afraid to post - perhaps their questions are being answered - they may be using the search function to find answers or the answer is within another post they have read?

A whole load of knowledgeable users here other than the magazine employees who go above and beyond as far as I am concerned - especially when the conspiracy theorists rear their heads.

Thanks to you all for making this an enjoyable experience - I've garnished lots of knowledge here in all areas of hi-fi and home cinema.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

A live chat box would be good, as long as it's moderated of course. I'd be happy to moderate for sweets, pop and crisps.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As I said, no reason for anyone to be scared to post: this forum is all about advice and discussion. But the house rules are there for a purpose...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Cofnchtr: I've garnished lots of knowledge here.

What have you garnished it with?

I second, many times over, the separate section for cable wars. A

Were i to be mischievous, i might also suggest that anyone who enters said section should be banned.

But im not. So i wont.

To the person who said they felt their threads may be inferior, or somesuch; I really wouldnt worry. Its hard to think of a thread thats inferior to a cable thread.

idc

I first started out posting questions about ipods and finding I could answer a few. I did find it a bit intimidating, but I had not been on a forum before so didn't know the etiquette and any of the acronyms IMO!

Can I respectfully suggest three proposals for long term users to make life more attractive for first posters on the forum;

At first it was irritating getting a thread hijacked, but now I know how this works it does not matter. I try not to hijack new posters threads.

The thing that I hate the most now is seeing a first poster's question go unanswered, that must be very dispiriting. I try to add at least comment where I can, or a few times direct people to another part of the forum.

I reserve argument for those who are clearly up for it.

I know this tends to happen anyway, I am just trying to formalise it.

P.S Tarquinh, don't be scared, you are still offered a high degree of protection from this lunacy by the English Channel and you could always block your end with protesting farmers.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
idc: The thing that I hate the most now is seeing a first poster's question go unanswered, that must be very dispiriting. I try to add at least comment where I can, or a few times direct people to another part of the forum.

I can understand that point of view, but by the same token it's really quite annoying when someone posts a question and then follows it up every 20 minutes for the next 4 days saying "Anyone?", "Anyone?", "come on! Someone must know!", "Have I offended you?" "Anyone?", "Anyone?", "Bueller?". Sorry, but I haven't heard or even heard of, the Phartmatic ES-99,000,000 semi-active speakers, so I can't tell you how they sound with the Triang-Fonus gigawatt class p amplifier that's only available in Ulan-Bator and I'm guessing by their silence that neither has anybody else!

If I don't answer (and let's face it, I'm only at work, I really don't have anything better to do) it's because I don't know, and sorry, but I'm not going to reply just to tell you I don't know, it's wasting my time and yours and getting your hopes up when you see there's been a reply, hopes that are irritatingly dashed when you read a useless response like "dunno mate" (well it annoys me anyway).

And if you don't get a reply, starting a new thread the next day asking the same question with slightly different wording isn't going to make any difference. Even the third time...

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
The forums seem fairly quiet of late. Dunno why, unless its certain topics and arguments that put people off. I personally tend to keep away from those and have noticed certain other people do as well.
I would say though that anytime I've asked a question about anything I've been pleased with the way people try and answer my query, and to that end find the forums generally a friendly and knowledgable place.I also derive pleasure from helping people whenever I can with my limited knowledge.

I also love the light-hearted approach and mickey taking that sometimes rears its head. Some posts are just classic need I say more. Also love the way posts sometimes go completely off topic.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Cofnchtr:A whole load of knowledgeable users here other than the magazine employees who go above and beyond as far as I am concerned - especially when the conspiracy theorists rear their heads.

If people are going to question my/our integrity when all I/we are doing is my/our jobs to the best of my/our ability, I/we am/are bound to defend my/our position/s robustly. All those people who burst into your workplace daily and tell you you're corrupt/incompetent/lazy constantly - do you accept it or do you try to explain your position?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Simon Lucas:
Cofnchtr:A whole load of knowledgeable users here other than the magazine employees who go above and beyond as far as I am concerned - especially when the conspiracy theorists rear their heads.

If people are going to question my/our integrity when all I/we are doing is my/our jobs to the best of my/our ability, I/we am/are bound to defend my/our position/s robustly. All those people who burst into your workplace daily and tell you you're corrupt/incompetent/lazy constantly - do you accept it or do you try to explain your position?

Couldn't agree more Simon. I think having the experience of you guys on the forum is excellent. Even Andrew.

ÿ

idc

the_lhc:

idc: The thing that I hate the most now is seeing a first poster's question go unanswered, that must be very dispiriting. I try to add at least comment where I can, or a few times direct people to another part of the forum.

..... and sorry, but I'm not going to reply just to tell you I don't know, it's wasting my time and yours and getting your hopes up when you see there's been a reply, hopes that are irritatingly dashed when you read a useless response like "dunno mate" (well it annoys me anyway).

Remembering from the being a novice poster having someone with say 500 plus posts come on and say, well, no idea, but you could try here is a nice way of dealing with someone. It is like going into a shop and a smily assistant says, sorry we don't stock that, but you could try here. It is not what you hoped for but it is constructive, takes little effort and I have gone back to shops on the basis of at least they tried to help before. Anyway, it was a suggestion based on professorhat's real concerns re people being scared off the forum. Messiah is good at adding a friendly word to new posters, but he is obviously part of the supreme being and so I would not expect anything less.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
idc:the_lhc:

..... and sorry, but I'm not going to reply just to tell you I don't know, it's wasting my time and yours and getting your hopes up when you see there's been a reply, hopes that are irritatingly dashed when you read a useless response like "dunno mate" (well it annoys me anyway).

Remembering from the being a novice poster having someone with say 500 plus posts come on and say, well, no idea, but you could try here is a nice way of dealing with someone. It is like going into a shop and a smily assistant says, sorry we don't stock that, but you could try here. It is not what you hoped for but it is constructive, takes little effort and I have gone back to shops on the basis of at least they tried to help before. Anyway, it was a suggestion based on professorhat's real concerns re people being scared off the forum.ÿMessiah is good at adding a friendly word to new posters, but he is obviously part of the supreme being and so I would not expect anything less.

You should have seen the number of fish he brought round my plaice the other night...

ÿ

nads

it might be an idea to get the report post function working.

It does not give people confidence that they can not report issues.

getting

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP
404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies)
could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily
unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is
spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /errors/404.aspx

does not give noobs confidence.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
You should have seen the number of fish he brought round my plaice the other night...

Was the spelling of 'plaice' deliberate or a coincidence Joel?
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts